Neck poofs

Alright let's keep derailing the thread
There is no need to be defensive, she just said that your cham looks too dark and wanted to help. Even if this thread is not in “needing for help” part of the forum, @Beman wanted to help you. There is no need for frustration! I will look at your husbandry review and see if everything is okay. Just for the record Beman is one of the best members here, and she’s not best at getting new members look stupid I can tell you that, she offered you help. 😃

Last edited:
Im turning notifications for this thread off. Also if it's common for you to call people stupid for making mistakes, I certainly don't want your help either. Have a good day.

Im turning notifications for this thread off. Also if it's common for you to call people stupid for making mistakes, I certainly don't want your help either. Have a good day.
Man.. you really dont get the point. I said she did not make you look stupid or even tried to do that. Calm down and be nice to people who are trying to help you. Only because you are on internet does not make you important or always right. I’m just saying people here were trying to help you with your chameleon and help you realize that we all want good for you but you obviously cant get it. I really dont care for you I dont know even why I’m trying. See ya never!

Man.. you really dont get the point. I said she did not make you look stupid or even tried to do that. Calm down and be nice to people who are trying to help you. Only because you are on internet does not make you important or always right. I’m just saying people here were trying to help you with your chameleon and help you realize that we all want good for you but you obviously cant get it. I really dont care for you I dont know even why I’m trying. See ya never!
You said:

Just for the record Beman is one of the best members here, and she’s not best at getting new members look stupid

I could only assume you meant to call me stupid. Had you worded it differently I would have understood your intentions and never would have responded.

But okay, have a nice life. I understand people are trying to help me, but I told them I already got the help and I still have an active thread where I still post to get help.

P.S. my chameleon is fine today, she's turning darker to absorb more heat, I watched her all day yesterday change between her patterns as she moved lower and higher in the cage.

Lower = light colors
Higher = dark colors

It's the only explanation I have because her temps are right, as I mentioned on the first page. Anyway, I really am growing tired of this thread and the constant replies which is why I'm turning off notifications.

If you really want to help me, do so in an actually constructive way, because NONE of this was constructive at all. Anyway have a good week everyone, I'm done with this thread.

If you want us to help you in a constructive way, how would that be? The best way to get help (even if you don't think it is needed) is to fill out the husbandry form to make sure everything is 100%. It goes over basically every aspect of husbandry and lets us help you the best. Just let us know how to help so we can

If you want us to help you in a constructive way, how would that be? The best way to get help (even if you don't think it is needed) is to fill out the husbandry form to make sure everything is 100%. It goes over basically every aspect of husbandry and lets us help you the best. Just let us know how to help so we can
I did this in another thread already which I still maintain, everyone keeps insisting here that all they want to do is help yet nobody replies where I'm asking for it. I'm sorry that it bothers you that I won't fill out the form twice, already did it once and am still using that thread, so all of this derailing is literally for nothing, because I'm still working on my cages, and have already addressed the heating and lighting issue in that thread. Which if beman had read could have responded there, but wasn't online to provide the help when that thread existed. It's not my fault beman doesn't know the thread exists, it shouldn't be my problem, but if it's standard practice for people to freak out over photos, I'm literally just going to stop posting them. This is getting ridiculous and redudant, seriously I'm done, please stop responding, thanks.

I did this in another thread already which I still maintain, everyone keeps insisting here that all they want to do is help yet nobody replies where I'm asking for it. I'm sorry that it bothers you that I won't fill out the form twice, already did it once and am still using that thread, so all of this derailing is literally for nothing, because I'm still working on my cages, and have already addressed the heating and lighting issue in that thread. Which if beman had read could have responded there, but wasn't online to provide the help when that thread existed. It's not my fault beman doesn't know the thread exists, it shouldn't be my problem, but if it's standard practice for people to freak out over photos, I'm literally just going to stop posting them. This is getting ridiculous and redudant, seriously I'm done, please stop responding, thanks.
Woah, if you want that thread answered, bump it. Otherwise no one will see it unless they search in your profile, which has many threads, so how do we know which one to respond to? That thread also has over 7 pages of answers and people still trying to help. You need to stop going on about Beman, everyone on here is just trying to help you

Woah, if you want that thread answered, bump it. Otherwise no one will see it unless they search in your profile, which has many threads, so how do we know which one to respond to? That thread also has over 7 pages of answers and people still trying to help. You need to stop going on about Beman, everyone on here is just trying to help you
It's been bumped the last couple days as I've asked for help updating my setup with egg crates, etc.

Prior to that I wasn't posting because I didn't have money for me to make the changes. Which had anyone read that thread, would've probably resolved any concerns, but people jumped on the picture and just assumed there was a problem, and that's where I take issue with it. If every time I post a photo, something scares someone, and it yields a response asking me to fill out the form, it's beating a dead bush and it comes off as an attack and less as intention to help. I try to keep my things organized and in place, including my threads.

I'm not used to forum boards where you can just go off topic because of concern over something, so pardon me for not being used to this.

I've responded to that thread on every page, so I have read it and know what's going on

This hasn't been off topic because it's still been about your chameleons

I've responded to that thread on every page, so I have read it and know what's going on

This hasn't been off topic because it's still been about your chameleons
Yeah and I appreciate the time you've taken and your responses have been fantastic. I appreciate the time everyone has taken in that thread to help out a less experienced keeper, it does mean a lot. But I got defensive because for me, the help didn't come in the right place.

I was trying to help you in a constructive way. You choose to get defensive rather then listen. When you are new there are so many things to understand within their husbandry. It can all start to blend together. Everything from proper temps, UVB, correct supplementation, and Enclosure set up with lots of plants impacts if your chameleon will thrive or not. If you are not measuring your temp at the basking branch with a wired probe thermometer then you are not getting accurate readings. If you do not have foliage at the top so that they do not feel so exposed then this can effect the colors they show as well.

If you would have taken 5 minutes to just be open to feedback then I would have been happy to go over these details with you. YOU got defensive and argumentative instead. I can guarantee that you do not know everything. Those of us that have been in the hobby for years still do not know everything. But we do know tell tell signs in pictures that show something is off within husbandry because we have the hands on experience that you are still learning.

I had looked at your prior threads... I have been here quite a few years and all I focus on is helping new members like you. I saw a lot that needed correcting including overdosing with D3. Which you were getting help with and we see here very often due to people not getting the correct info to begin with. This picture was not in your thread which is why I chose to comment here on it and offer assistance.

I know you thought you were just posting an adorable picture of your baby girl. And she is a cutie. But we see the things you do not in that picture. We see abnormal coloring that indicates an issue. Which is why I spoke up. And why so many others chimed in after I did. Not because we hated your photo or thought you did not know anything. But because your new to this hobby and these animals. And it is hard understanding every single detail of what is normal and what is not when your new.

Now as far as I am concerned you are coming off like you do not want input from anyone at this point. And honestly that is a shame. You have a large group of experienced people that were willing to help you. Yet you took this path of attacking me. This has gotten you no where.

Should you choose to actually want feedback on her coloring and causes for it. I would be happy to help you. If not that is fine too. Ball is in your court.

I was trying to help you in a constructive way. You choose to get defensive rather then listen. When you are new there are so many things to understand within their husbandry. It can all start to blend together. Everything from proper temps, UVB, correct supplementation, and Enclosure set up with lots of plants impacts if your chameleon will thrive or not. If you are not measuring your temp at the basking branch with a wired probe thermometer then you are not getting accurate readings. If you do not have foliage at the top so that they do not feel so exposed then this can effect the colors they show as well.

If you would have taken 5 minutes to just be open to feedback then I would have been happy to go over these details with you. YOU got defensive and argumentative instead. I can guarantee that you do not know everything. Those of us that have been in the hobby for years still do not know everything. But we do know tell tell signs in pictures that show something is off within husbandry because we have the hands on experience that you are still learning.

I had looked at your prior threads... I have been here quite a few years and all I focus on is helping new members like you. I saw a lot that needed correcting including overdosing with D3. Which you were getting help with and we see here very often due to people not getting the correct info to begin with. This picture was not in your thread which is why I chose to comment here on it and offer assistance.

I know you thought you were just posting an adorable picture of your baby girl. And she is a cutie. But we see the things you do not in that picture. We see abnormal coloring that indicates an issue. Which is why I spoke up. And why so many others chimed in after I did. Not because we hated your photo or thought you did not know anything. But because your new to this hobby and these animals. And it is hard understanding every single detail of what is normal and what is not when your new.

Now as far as I am concerned you are coming off like you do not want input from anyone at this point. And honestly that is a shame. You have a large group of experienced people that were willing to help you. Yet you took this path of attacking me. This has gotten you no where.

Should you choose to actually want feedback on her coloring and causes for it. I would be happy to help you. If not that is fine too. Ball is in your court.
Thank you, and I'm sorry. I appreciate you taking the time to explain and I hope it won't stop you all from trying to help me in the future, it won't happen again.

You said:

Just for the record Beman is one of the best members here, and she’s not best at getting new members look stupid

I could only assume you meant to call me stupid. Had you worded it differently I would have understood your intentions and never would have responded.

But okay, have a nice life. I understand people are trying to help me, but I told them I already got the help and I still have an active thread where I still post to get help.

P.S. my chameleon is fine today, she's turning darker to absorb more heat, I watched her all day yesterday change between her patterns as she moved lower and higher in the cage.

Lower = light colors
Higher = dark colors

It's the only explanation I have because her temps are right, as I mentioned on the first page. Anyway, I really am growing tired of this thread and the constant replies which is why I'm turning off notifications.

If you really want to help me, do so in an actually constructive way, because NONE of this was constructive at all. Anyway have a good week everyone, I'm done with this thread.
It would also be important to know we have people in these forums from all over the world. I'm sure it was a typo, but for future reference not everyone speaks English as a first language. 😉

I would be happy to help. When you are ready. I would love to address her colors. Go over a few things. Let me know. :)
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...ical-baby-behavior.182486/page-7#post-1668937

Would you be able to respond here? I'm trying to keep all of my information for their care here so I can go back to it later on. I keep reading a lot of things over again to make sure I'm getting it right. Would love more input from yet another experienced keeper there, as any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

I really love it when my veiled and my panther unfurl their pretty little neck skin. I assume it's so they can get the most surface area for basking under a light? It really is beautiful. Would love to see your little guys doing a poof as well, their necks usually carry such vibrant color patterns.
The thread is about your chameleon poofing out its neck skin....and you assuming/questioning if it's because she wants to increase her surface area to bask...

Usually when they expand their size to bask, they lean over to let the sun/light hit that increased surface area and turn dark as well.

There are other reasons for expanding their gular pouch...aggression/defensive behaviour, fear, stress. For aggressive behaviour they also brighten their colors. For fear or stress they darken/dull their colors generally.

Maybe this will help...
"Gular out. The gular is the pouch of skin in the throat area. Chameleons can puff it out to look bigger and it often has bright colors so a chameleon can use this as a warning sign to other chameleons that he means business. Unfortunately, to humans it just means he is showing off his beautiful colors and he looks really really cool! Thus the problem of speaking different languages!"...
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-6-chameleons-and-stress/

More..."Extension of the gular pouch and exposing the interstitial skin is generally a threat, territorial or courtship response. When a chameleon feels threatened, feels the need to defend his territory or is encountered with a courtship situation, they will often extend the gular pouch in display."...
http://www.chameleonnews.com/04AugAndersonQA.html

Last edited:
The thread is about your chameleon poofing out its neck skin....and you assuming/questioning if it's because she wants to increase her surface area to bask...

Usually when they expand their size to bask, they lean over to let the sun/light hit that increased surface area and turn dark as well.

There are other reasons for expanding their gular pouch...aggression/defensive behaviour, fear, stress. For aggressive behaviour they also brighten their colors. For fear or stress they darken/dull their colors generally.

Maybe this will help...
"Gular out. The gular is the pouch of skin in the throat area. Chameleons can puff it out to look bigger and it often has bright colors so a chameleon can use this as a warning sign to other chameleons that he means business. Unfortunately, to humans it just means he is showing off his beautiful colors and he looks really really cool! Thus the problem of speaking different languages!"...
https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-6-chameleons-and-stress/
I don't see her doing the side tilting often so I think she's probably stressed. My veiled does the poof with the side tilt so that's why I thought her poofing was the same thing, but since she isn't tilting that could mean something more. She seems to favor her darker colors as of late so obviously her cage is missing some stuff. That I am aware of and am actively working on, and have been concerned about, which is why as soon as I had the money I started looking for all this stuff. As you'll see in my other thread I'm needing help shopping.

I don't see her doing the side tilting often so I think she's probably stressed. My veiled does the poof with the side tilt so that's why I thought her poofing was the same thing, but since she isn't tilting that could mean something more.
I'm still adding more to my post above....sorry...I always have to post it in between adding info or it often disappears and I have to start over.

You said..."She seems to favor her darker colors as of late so obviously her cage is missing some stuff. That I am aware of and am actively working on"...good idea!

Back
Top Bottom