Naturalistic hydration - how does it work?

If you have blocked off the sides and it's not enough, block off the door. Not the bottom door, just the big opening door. You can buy shower liner that is clear, be sure to wash it. Then you can put it into the door in the screen groves, just like the screen. Get a thick one so its not easy to rip. You will be able to see through it, and it will help the humidity alot. Just use it as a test, and if it works, you could do acrylic in its place that will be harder and look better.

The bottom opening door, staying screen is plenty for ventilation and you can add a fan if you want during the day.

Your heat will likely need adjusted as you will have a more efficient microclimate. It will be more self controlled and less affected by room situation.

Also you said at night. I wouldn't bother with just at night, block 3 sides off permanently. The bottom door is plenty ventilation. All screen cages are great if you live in Florida, however it's not optimal for everyone. Your climate is alot like mine, it's not optimal for us. You will have to make adjustments to husbrandy with the "Glass Like" cage, lessen your misting and adjust temps, but it will be fine.
Thanks for the input!

Been doing it for quite a while now, no noticeable deterioration in my plants. I’m in southeast Louisiana so it’s pretty much 80-100% RH outside everyday, and my chams do spend a lot of time outside during the summer. I throw the tanks and hose in the dishwasher every month or so but that’s about it.

Chams really are not as fragile as most recreational keepers think, it’s only through bad husbandry that they live up to their fragile reputation. If they truly were as fragile as most people think they would have gone extinct long ago.

Once a month sounds better. I wanted to do the fogger in my huge Viv, but it will be such a pain to take it apart to clean it.

Keep in mind the Viv is solid wood, 4x2x7 with 8 inches of substrate and real "Walls" by that I mean 2x2 frame with 1/4 inch paneling on inside and out, and 42"x 22" X1/4" tempered glass doors. It weighs a metric ton. Moving it to get the fogger pipe out will be no easy feat, it can be done, it just isn't easy. I already made a note to self, next time add wheels.

I Misted at night last night. Because I added 2 HUGE pieces of drift wood, that I finnaly got done treating, and soaked them and watered the plants a bit, around them.

My humidity was at 70-80 all night. Of course I am not running a heater at night right now winter will be another story.

I put the big stump one and the long one in their, that should raise the humidity :p.

Attachments

• IMG_20190629_183227.jpg
    IMG_20190629_183227.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
There is a difference between fluid accumulating in the lungs from inflammation and infection vs. moisture passing thru a healthy membrane.

Exactly. An infection will prevent the lungs from working properly. Whether or not that function involves removing water vapor fron the air.

Back
Top Bottom