Naps???

John33871

is it common for a baby veiled chameleon to take a nap during the day or after a big meal? just curious becuase hes sleeping right now and its 1:30 in the afternoon

No that is not normal. Chameleons do not nap. That is usually a symptom of a problem. Post your husbandry numbers and efforts for a recheck before assuming anything else. If nothing is wrong there then a vet is probably the next step.

I think he means this sort of stuff.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - retarium, 65 gallon(16.5''*28''*30'')
Lighting - repti glo 5.0, florecent light about 10 to 12 hours, and basking like 8
Temperature - Basking spot is in the low 90s high 80s, the rest of the cage varies from high 70s to mid 80s, and at night its down to the low 70s
Humidity - its usually at 60%, using a tree, misting, and a dripper
Plants - yes ficus
Location - its in my room it is out of traffic area but it is located close to a fan
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled, male, and a little older than a month.
Feeding - 10 to 15 crickets. i just put all the crickets in 2 different cups in the morning. im using gutload from wild eye reptiles with some calicum supplement, sweet potatoes
Supplements - repical calium with d3, do it every morning everyday
Watering - i use a dripper and mist, when i mist i do see him drink some times
Fecal Description - i think its a black white color, little brown
History - hes new only had him for 3 or 4 weeks
Current Problem - napping during the day

Last edited:
i was just looking at him very closly and his left eye seems to be swollen, does anyone know any causes to this?

How long are the naps?...Are the eyes closed or does he just rest after filling up on crickets? What are his activity levels throughout the rest of the day? Is he getting any natural sunlight? I am not an expert here but hopefully someone else will chime in. I did find that natural sunlight does wonders and boosted the activity level of my panther considerably.

Concerning the information you have posted...
I don't think I have ever used a repti glo so I don't know how good or bad it is..I use mostly repti-sun 5.0's.

You said..."Plants - yes ficus"...I almost always use pothos. Ficus has been said to contain irritating-to-the-eyes sap.

You said..."it is located close to a fan"...if its on while he's sleeping (at night) it could be creating a draft, which BTW, might have something to do with the eye being swollen. What type of climate do you live in? (Where do you live?)

You said..."gutload from wild eye reptiles with some calicum supplement, sweet potatoes"...again, I'm not familiar with that gutload. I don't use commercial gutloads but use a mixture of greens and veggies for my crickets.

You said...you use "repical calium with d3, do it every morning everyday"...I use a phosphorous-free calcium powder on almost every feeding. I also dust with a vitamin powder with a beta carotene source of vitamin A twice a month and because my chameleons only get UVB from artificial means, I dust lightly twice a month with a calcium/D3 powder. There is question as to whether chameleons need vitamin A from a preformed source, but vitamin A from preformed sources need to be carefully monitored because they can build up in the system. The almost daily phos.-free calcium is intended to make up somewhat for the poor ratio of calcium to phos. in most insects. The D3 from supplements can build up in the system too....but D3 produced from exposure to UVB and/or sunlight won't.

Calcium, phos., vitamin D3 and vitamin A all contribute to bone health and they need to be kept in balance. As well, appropriate temperatures (needed to digest the food) and hydration are important.

If his eye is still swollen and he is still napping in a couple of days, I would recommend taking him to a vet.

Hope your little chameleon will be okay!

im not sure on how long his naps are because ive been working so much i havnt really been able to do to much with him other than feed and mist him. i think there could be a problem with my dusting, see i mist the cage and the water falls on the crickets, and the power come off. could this be a problem and start redusting the crickets. he seems to be caughing or somethin, he will open his mouth and make a strange cry i havent heard him make. im going to take him to the vet tomarrow as soon as i get home from school and hope i can get my poor guy healthy again. im very worried and stressed about him. i would really be upset if i lost my little guy!

Sounds like it's getting worse instead of better so you are being very smart in taking him to the vet. He may have upper respiratory problem, especially if he's coughing and opening his mouth.

well i went to the vet today, hes got an infected eye. he also got treated for worms and some kind of intestant bug:confused: but i just have to put eye drops in his left eye twice a day for 7 days. the problem was that some extra skin on his forhead could have done somethin, and hasnt come off yet because his humidity is to low. so she told me to put some sponges in the cage near the heat lamp to increase the humdity. well ill keep everyone posted on how he comes out. i think hell be ok!:D

Glad to hear that you took the chameleon to the vets and that its being treated. Hope your chameleon will soon be healthy again!

Watch that the sponges don't get dirty or have the opportunity to build up bacteria. I have heard of a damp towel being thrown over part of the cage (leaving some air circulation and keeping away from the lights, of course) helping to boost the humidity too...see this...
http://adcham.com/html/husbandry/babycare.html
"dampen a towel or other clean cloth. Drape it over the cage and it will add humidity to the air. This is a quick fix! Adding a 16 oz. deli cup on the top of this cloth with a pin hole in the bottom allowing water to drain onto the cloth adds humidity for longer periods of time. Using real plants and spraying them 1-3 times daily will also increase humidity levels. Having large plants in the room keep animals in need of higher humidity levels can also be of help. Closing the door to this room will also help keep humidity higher. A water dish with river rocks filled with water will disperse some humidity but the dish (and rocks) must be cleaned frequently."

Back
Top Bottom