napping during daytime, or to bright UV light?

Miss Machine

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Furcifer pardalis Ambilobe, male, 3 months. Week in my care
Handling - Once a day, for drinking
Feeding - small grasshoppers, small crickets, waxworms and butterworms. Gutloaded with fresh veggies and fruit, daily handpicked grass, VitAll every day.
Supplements - MinerAll outdoor every feeding, MineraAll indoor once a week
Watering - 2 times a day, few minutes with lukewarm water. Don't see him drink.
Fecal Description - medium to dark brown, firm stool, urinate white with small orange piece in it. Not tested for parasites.
History -

Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass enclosure, screen top, screen vent on front door. 24x24x48
Lighting - I use a Zoomed Powersun 100w, 12 hours a day.
Temperature : 86 highest point. Overnight 64, digitally measured.
Humidity - 45-60%, 90% after misting, analog measured
Plants -large Fig, large Schefflera
Placement - located in it's own special room, very quiet, no fans, no high traffic areas. Height of top of the cage is about 6.49 feet.
Location - The Netherlands

Hi all, my young panther K, has a lot of space for himself. Lots of hiding space, lots of branches. I noticed him twice today, sitting somewhere with his eyes closed. If he hears me, he'll open his eyes, but he closes them again when I stay there. What can this be?

Probably your lighting!!! You need to get a reptisun 5.0 tube. The 100 watt powersun, is that a UVB? Just the name sounds too strong!! Get a seperate basking light, ordinary housebulb 40-60(max) watt along with the 5.0.

If you are not seeing him drink, and his urates are orange, then I would up the mistings and do it for about 3-5 mintues and also run a drippr all day so he has more access to water!

Hi Carol, thanks for your reply. Isn't Zoomed Powersun used in the US? It is recommended for chameleons, but only in high enclosures. I'm just wondering if it maybe to high output for a young panther. But it is a combinationlamp, UVB and warmth in one.

I don't know much about that bulb. i just know what the majority of us use and it is the Reptisun 5.0 tube and then we use a separate basking bulb. We all seem to have no eye issues with these bulbs. If he is closing his eyes most likely the light is bothering him. don't forget he is just a baby and they are more delicate. i would get rid of that bulb and get what I suggested, if you can get that, and see if that does not make a difference.

Ok, I'll get right on it. The place where the Powersun is, I will put a basking light. And I will buy a tubelight fixture to place a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0.

Can I use the Powersun when he is an adult? 'Cause over here it is considered a very high quality UV bulb. But I think indeed it is to heavy for a 3month old panther.

Most of the day he is active, climbs around, exploring his terrarium. But if he sits up high, I saw him about two times today with his eyes shut. Not sleeping, but really closing his eyes.

Yeah, most likely that light is just too much. The reptisun can be used with an adult also and as I said we have no issues with that bulb. I mean if that is what you guys use over there and you PERSONALLY know other cham keepers that use that bulb with no issues then I would say yes. I just would see no reason to change if you are using something and you know it works well. The Reptisun bulbs should be replaced about every 6-9 months just so you know. Even though they light up, they loose their strength after time. I would talk to some other keepers about their experiences with that bulb. If you are getting that info about that bulb being great from a pet store, well....I will just say I know the pet stores over here are very uneducated about chameleons and often sell the wrong equipment to people. Not saying that is the case where you are. Just make sure you research that bulb very well if you intend to use it. Me, I would stick with the Reptisun!!!

Powersun is considered a high quality light by the Dutch chameleon society. This type of light is used in larger enclosures though. But there are also a lot of members who use linear tube lights, but then from Arcadia.

Thanks again for your reply ;-)!

i use power sun bulbs on all my chameleons with no effects. as a matter of fact i highly recommend them. i talked to a representative of LLL reptile at the chicago show and he told me they use them on all there chameleons also. monitor the heat, these bulbs get warm.

i use power sun bulbs on all my chameleons with no effects. as a matter of fact i highly recommend them. i talked to a representative of LLL reptile at the chicago show and he told me they use them on all there chameleons also. monitor the heat, these bulbs get warm.

Do you use it on a 3 month old though?. She said that when her chameleon goes to the top of the cage by the light he closes his eyes. Sounds to me like the light is bothering him.

yes i do but as with anyone, her particular cham may be sensitive to the bulb. right now i have 3 panthers, 3 veileds, 2 high casques, 1 jacksons and a carpet under them. 2 of the panthers/veileds are 3 months. none of them showing any sensitivity to the light.

In my opinion that is too intense of a bulb to use on a panther that young.
I use powersuns all the time on 9 month to adult panthers and veiled.
These are way too intense for most montane species. A rep from any company or pet store may not have the best knowledge of whats best for your chameleon. You are in the right place for getting your questions answered.

PowerSun lamps are meant more for the desert reptiles. They shouldn't be used unless properly set up with a UVB meter and temp gun. These lamps put out a lot of UVB especially at close range.

The cage seems a bit big big for such a young cham.

He can get out of the light/heat whenever he wants, but i can imagine that sunbathing and basking are two different things, that's why i'm going to adjust the lighting this weekend. But I will use the Powersun again if he is grown up i think.

I also used this size cage for my veiled. As long as you also cupfeed them, so their able to find their food, I don't see a problem in this size cage.

i would go by anything summoner says. although in the application instructions that comes with the bulb says use on chameleons (c.paradalis, c.calypratus). ive had nothing but luck with this bulb.... all my chams appetites are out the roof. my veiled that was only eatting outside in the sun is now eatting like a pig indoors. im not saying this is only because of the bulb..he is in better condition than before. i would recommend anyone trying it out before they knock it. im using 160's and 100's depending on the cage size and cham. anyone have any links for a good uva/uvb meter? i run many lights and would like to know for my own knowledge and peace of mind the output of them.

Last night I saw that he is on the brink of shedding ;-). Is that also a reason that he is not feeling very well? I experienced the same with my Pete (Veiled).

Back
Top Bottom