Nails

Uvagohoos

Hello I've been hearing a lot about how Chameleon as they get older can get really sharp nails. As of now Melly my Veiled seems fine but I would like to be able to holder as she grows older. Is there anything I can do to dull her nails down such as cut them or something

Don't cut her nails. She needs them sharp so she can climb. Plus the nail pith is very shallow, so the chances of hurting her are high. Trimming nails is not a typical maintenance task needed for chameleons. The best thing you can do for overall nail (and foot) health is to provide a variety of branches and vines of different materials and diameters so that she can wear them down naturally.

I would suspect that if there is only plastic or soft branches to climb, no real wood or harder surfaces, a cham's nails could get sharp - just like a bird's.

I actually have a a ficus tree in there as well as a pothod plant and spider bush but I was just asking since I heard they c an get long

I actually have a a ficus tree in there as well as a pothod plant and spider bush but I was just asking since I heard they c an get long

They need them to hold on with. If they are too short or dull, they fall a lot. Even long nails are pretty short. They don't have the size of foot/nail to grow anything like a parrot's too-long nails. There is no reason not to hold her with good strong nails and feet.

As I said earlier it was just a concern cause I've heard of can hurt i will still hold her part of the reason I also asked this was to see if nail clipping was a part chameleon maintanence as it is for rabbits and dogs

As I said earlier it was just a concern cause I've heard of can hurt i will still hold her part of the reason I also asked this was to see if nail clipping was a part chameleon maintanence as it is for rabbits and dogs

Two simple suggestions...make sure some of the branches in the cage are larger in diameter than your cham's feet, so he has to use his claw tips to grip them. And, you'll just have to wear a shirt when carrying him around.

The girls also need their nails to dig the tunnel to lay the eggs. I have noticed my girls nails got longer right before egg laying time.

Trimming the nails isn't a necessity and, as you've already read, is bad for them. Even the sharpest little chameleon nails won't penetrate skin. It doesn't hurt at all, unless she gets on your eyelid or something. Also, depending on the breed. Handling might not be a good idea. Veileds don't like being handled, and they get stressed very easily. Panthers are a little better with handling, but with any chameleon keep the handling down to 5-10 minute sessions at most.

Trimming the nails isn't a necessity and, as you've already read, is bad for them. Even the sharpest little chameleon nails won't penetrate skin. It doesn't hurt at all, unless she gets on your eyelid or something. Also, depending on the breed. Handling might not be a good idea. Veileds don't like being handled, and they get stressed very easily. Panthers are a little better with handling, but with any chameleon keep the handling down to 5-10 minute sessions at most.

It can break the skin. It can hurt. But I wouldn't have it any other way. A strong grip and sharp nails is a sign of good health. I do agree they should be handled at a minimum, regularly, if you wish to keep them habituated, just don't trim their claws. If you can't take it, don't handle them and admire them from afar.

It can break the skin. It can hurt. But I wouldn't have it any other way. A strong grip and sharp nails is a sign of good health. I do agree they should be handled at a minimum, regularly, if you wish to keep them habituated, just don't trim their claws. If you can't take it, don't handle them and admire them from afar.
I was always told that chameleons get stressed easily when handled, so I try not to handle mine, but I feed her by hand once a day (treats such as super worms).

Back
Top Bottom