Mystery worm in soil...

chachilla

Established Member
Ive noticed that my panther is going down to the soil in the plant and taking shots at it. With closer inspection he was not getting soil, he was taking shots at these little centipede, millipede looking worms and eating them. Hes a little pig! Ive noticed that he has been doing this for about a month or so without any ill effects. Does any one know if these are toxic and if so how do i get rid of them. (The image is from http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/fieldcropsipm/insects/corn-occasionals.php by J. Obermeyer)
These are what they look like, but can't find any more info on them.

Attachments

• millipede01.jpg
    millipede01.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 173
Did your re-pot your plant with organic soil when you purchased it? I don't think those are good for a cham especially if they feed on fertilized soil.

Yes i did re-pot my plant with organic soil. The plant is a schefflera that i purchased from Lowes a while back. The picture is what the worm looks very similar to.

i have no clue what the worms are, but if you are worried, some people around here suggest using river rocks or something else as a means to cover the soil up.

I did exactly that before i made this post actually. I'm just curious what this bug is and do other members get these and are they toxic. In the end i think i will just re-pot the plant with some fresh organic soil again and leave the rocks on top of the soil.

My brother has a marine tank and they look like a type of worm that is found in their live rock! Just imagine them pink/red. They grow quite big and the larger ones eat the smaller...eek

I hope you manage to find out what they are

Those are millipedes and are known to give off traces of of poisonous secretions that could be harmful to your cham. I did the same thing with the rocks and have'nt seen my cham aiming for them since.

Back
Top Bottom