My veiled is a jerk

chameleowned

Hi I got a veiled chameleon a few days ago and I know he is new but this is just ridiculous. He is a male HUGE casque and is about 11 in. Long. He puffs up and strikes when I get near him and turns almost black. I am not sure if this is normal but I am wondering if there is anything that will make him happier. Thankyou

Hi I got a veiled chameleon a few days ago and I know he is new but this is just ridiculous. He is a male HUGE casque and is about 11 in. Long. He puffs up and strikes when I get near him and turns almost black. I am not sure if this is normal but I am wondering if there is anything that will make him happier. Thankyou

They are the Pekingnese of chameleons. Only thing that will make him happy, is actually biting you.

Totally normal, male veileds are always really grouchy and territorial, when I must handle mine I usually give him treats like silk worms to trick him into climbing on my hand.

It's only been a few days. Give him time. He's probably terrified right now and his response is to become aggressive. He needs time to get used to his new home and the people in it. Start small and never try to grab him. That's just asking for trouble.

One thing that I do with all herps that I take care of is let them see I am the one that gives them their food. Whether it's by hand feeding or making sure they're looking at me, I like them to all know that I'm there to help them. He'll probably make that connection eventually, but for the time being, don't handle him, and give him time to get used to his big move.

Everyone gets tasted by a veiled at some point in their life...

Id start by tong feeding him something extra wiggly that he only gets from the tongs or your hands, not a daily feeder.

Id also never stick my hand in "his" tree. Its not you tree, its his room, stay out of his room.

I have to disagree that ALL male veileds are jerks. Mine wasn't...or maybe I expected less from him. They are not social creatures who care about what YOU want. They are individuals and some are mellower than others. They are all territorial, but how some individuals react to you (the intruder) can vary a lot. Some will simply puff up, change color (intensifying dark borders on the stripes and some darker spotting is typical). Many will gape or act as if they are going to bite, but most don't. If you are overly worried about getting bitten I'd suggest letting him bite you so you know what to expect. Its not that bad, nothing like a very large cham such as a melleri, a monitor, tegu, or iguana. As he gets used to you, learns the daily routine and feels secure in his new space he may well mellow out some. Hard to predict.

Hand feeding favorite treats will help him learn that you are a source of good things, not a threat. Just accept him for who he is and don't expect him to like a lot of handling.

I'll have to side w/ Carlton on this one, as I currently keep a male veiled. Mine is 10 mo. old now and is always eager to "grab and arm." He'll climb on up to my head. and I hear him hiss every now and then from my shoulder. For what it's worth, he's pretty mellow for a male veiled. I contribute this to his breeder , Chris Klieman of Legendary Chameleons (Fairfiled, CA), who hand raised him and sold him to me as a potential "hold back" so many moths ago. I recommend you PM Jannb (Senior veiled keeper) and inquire as to how to proceed with yours. She might have some tips for you.

Don't give up on him. :)

As others have stated, all chams are individuals and it takes time for any cham to get used to you.

The cham in my avatar, sitting on my head, was a super friendly MALE veiled. He went everywhere with me and would let anybody handle him. He did not start off friendly though. Keep in mind that your cham is probably not mean, but just scared. He isn't familiar with you or his new home yet.

Others have suggested feeding a special treat with tongs, and I agree that is a great way to start. Eventually you may be able to move to hand-feeding, which is even better.

Other things that worked wonders for my male veiled:
- Outside time! Take your cham outside on a plant for some sunshine when the weather permits. Do NOT leave him unattended unless he's in an outdoor cage.
-Leave the cage door open for a sense of freedom. He may not want to come out but I believe they appreciate the option.
-Set up a free range that he can access on his own. Often they feel territorial inside their cages but are more approachable on a free range. This could be as simple as an artificial tree connected to the cage with a vine.

Another thing to consider while he's getting used to you is that chams communicate using color. Wearing dark colors around your cham may make him think you are approaching him aggressively. Experiment to see if he reacts differently to different clothing colors.

AESara has some really good advice. So do the others. Give him some time and try to remember his actions come from a place of fear.

Back
Top Bottom