My veiled chameleon wont open it's eyes,

finatexe

It's all started today, He was very sluggish compared to usual and he won't open his eyes. I reached in to move the leaves apart to see him and he did not move at all, which is a big red flag for us, because our chameleon is very active. I plan to take him to the vet but, as it is the weekend the only one that is open charges double the price because it's an emergency clinic. I was wondering if there's anything I could do just to at least hold him over until monday. he's only about two and a half months old. were very worried as he really has become part of the family. Please help if you can. If you have any questions about his conditions or anything let me know. Thank you.

at the top of this health clinic forum section there is a sticky "how to ask for help" with a questionaire you should complete in order that people be better able to suggest things. https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

could be its dehydrated, could be the lighting you are using, could be temperature... could be a hundred things.

Personally, if my chameleon wasnt responsive and I wasnt sure why, I'd get to a vet today regardless of the cost.

without filling out the basic care list it would be hard for anyone here to try and even begin to help... Also location on where you are may help in finding another vet local to you from other forum people....

I am trying to get the humidity level up but it's proving to e a bit difficult. any tips on that? I bought some mealworms to offer him to see if it was maybe a lack of variety. He did respond. Were keeping a VERY close eye on him and are ready to go at a moments notice, we just don't want to rush in if it's a non serious problem. It is our first chameleon though, and we are still learning, And Im not sure if you've noticed but, everyone seems to have complete opposite opinions. I think the major problem was just the initial shock of abnormal behavior. I will try to get all of the necessary fields filled out, just a new website and Im not quite familiar with it yet.

I would get it to the vets ASAP. It shouldn't behave like that.
IMHO, if you want it to have a chance you can't wait.

Go to the top of the page and fill out the how to ask for help form. Get him to a vet asap even if you have to spend double the amount, you don't want to lose your baby!

Because this is your first chameleon, I don't think you realize the gravity of the situation. A chameleon should never be sluggish with its eyes closed, and if it is, it is already a medical emergency. This is already serious.

Reptiles often do not show signs of disease until they are very bad off. If you want your chameleon to be alive by Monday, I would strongly recommend giving us some more information, posting a picture of it, AND making an appointment ASAP with a vet.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Roughly two month male veiled chameleon, we have had for roughly a month in our care.
Handling - We have never handled him, only when we moved him when we first got him into his new cage.
Feeding - Pinhead crickets, just recently a mealworm. We put fresh food with the crickets and use Zilla gutloading food. We put three or four crickets in every day.
Supplements - We use Zoo med reptivite and Zoo med Calcium, the Calcium twice a week, reptivite once a week (on different days, obviously)
Watering - We have a dripper running for about an hour twice a day, and spray as often as possible. He's too little to have any kind of standing water yet.
Fecal Description - Brown and yellow, no change recently that we've noticed, he's never been tested for parasites, but we have only had him for roughly a month.
History - No history that we know of.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass 18x18x24 Exoterra Camaroon setup.
Lighting - We use zoo med UVB 5.o and 75watt Exoterra heat light, we generally have both lights on all day, and just turn them off from roughly 11pm to 9am.
Temperature - Roughly 90-95 degrees about halfway up the tank, lowest overnight temperature is roughly 85.
Humidity - We have a driper, and spray constantly, and the humidity stays at roughly 60% almost consistently.
Plants - No live plants.
Placement - The cage is located in our main living area, there is not a high level of traffic, and we have a ceiling fan, but it's not near any vents. The top of the cage is about eye level.
Location - Southern Missouri

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Roughly two month male veiled chameleon, we have had for roughly a month in our care.
Handling - We have never handled him, only when we moved him when we first got him into his new cage.
Feeding - Pinhead crickets, just recently a mealworm. We put fresh food with the crickets and use Zilla gutloading food. We put three or four crickets in every day.
At two months old you should be feeding 8-12 pinhead crickets every day.
Supplements - We use Zoo med reptivite and Zoo med Calcium, the Calcium twice a week, reptivite once a week (on different days, obviously)
I would go get the repcal supplements for your cham. Many people use them and you can never go wrong with them. Get the repcal clacium w/o d3 and the calcium with d3. Also get a mutlivitamin supplement, sticky tounge farm is the one I use and I use the one with the red top(it doesn't have d3 in it) You should be dusting with calcium 6x a week and use the d3 and multivitamin 2x a month so alternate each every Sunday.
Watering - We have a dripper running for about an hour twice a day, and spray as often as possible. He's too little to have any kind of standing water yet.
You should still spray his enclosure. Spray him about 3x a day for about 5 minutes each.
Fecal Description - Brown and yellow, no change recently that we've noticed, he's never been tested for parasites, but we have only had him for roughly a month.
He has yellow urates(wich is his pee) because he is dehydrated. I would give him a 30 minute shower. If you don't know what a shower is look up in the search function, "Showers"
History - No history that we know of.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass 18x18x24 Exoterra Camaroon setup.
Lighting - We use zoo med UVB 5.o and 75watt Exoterra heat light, we generally have both lights on all day, and just turn them off from roughly 11pm to 9am.
I would lower the wattage of your bulb to 60 watts. Turn lights on at around 6-7 and leave them on until 7pm, that is what I do.
Temperature - Roughly 90-95 degrees about halfway up the tank, lowest overnight temperature is roughly 85.
His temp needs to be lowerd, you are baking him. His basking spot should be 85 degrees and the rest of his enclosure should be in the mid 70's.
Humidity - We have a driper, and spray constantly, and the humidity stays at roughly 60% almost consistently.
This should go up to about 70% with each misting and go back down to 50-60%
Plants - No live plants.
I would get a ficus or a shefflera in his cage. It helps humidity and is over all beter than fake plants.
Placement - The cage is located in our main living area, there is not a high level of traffic, and we have a ceiling fan, but it's not near any vents. The top of the cage is about eye level.
Location - Southern Missouri

Hope your guy gets better soon!

The UV is compact.

And thank you very much for all of the feedback, we're definitely going to take your advice.

Some compacts have been causing eye problems and other health issues...but I have no way to know if yours is one of them since some of the makers have fixed the problem but there are still some of the old bulbs around.

We took him to the emergency veterinary clinic today since his conditions still haven't changed, and were basically told that they didn't notice anything wrong, and that because he was so small, "there wouldn't be anything that could be done anyway". The only real advice we received was to check if the bedding we used had any cedar chips in it, as it could cause respiratory infections, and to switch to sand instead.

The veterinarian also told us that "he's probably just getting used to his environment", (we've only had him for a month or so) so he might just be less active for that reason, although I am still quite nervous.

Currently, our chameleon has crawled into the very topmost corner of his tank, and is laying on a vine, and has been keeping his eyes shut and not moving at all.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

I would change the bulb to a tube. As stated above a lot of the compacts were causing eye injuries and the repti sun 5.0 really are the best. As for bedding... you shouldnt really have anything at the bottom of the cage. They dint need it and it can creat bacteria build up. The cham after a month should be getting used to his environment but not sleeping during the day or stop eating.... sounds like you probably need a more reptile experienced vet
:( If you post your location you may be able to get a referral to a vet in your area....

We were pretty upset about the vet visit, especially since this place was supposedly the best for exotic animals.

We're located in Springfield, MO, in case anyone in the nearby area has some better ideas for a vet.

We'll switch bulbs as soon as possible, thank you. Do you have any idea why he might be hiding? He's not even hanging out in the leaves like he normally does, hes just on a vine in the very top corner, and he's pressed himself up almost completely against the top of the screen, I've never seen him do that before.

Bedding? You don't want anything resembling bedding. You don't even need sand. Nothing on the bottom is just fine. If you want something absorbent, then paper towels work. There are other options if you want a classier look...but mainly I'd say, get any "bedding" out of there.

Have you given him a shower yet? I'd keep a dripper running the whole time you have the lights on if possible. Don't even plan on him drinking from a water cup or bowl. Some will learn, but you shouldn't count on it. Plan on him getting all his water from the leaves of the plants. He might also drink directly from the dripper.

I would prioritize getting water into him. Even it there are other issues, getting him hydrated will help him deal with those.

If you can raise the cage up 6 or 7 inches, it might help. It sounds silly, but they do like to be able to look down on you. If you're at eye level, he might feel threatened.

Are there any animals in the room (including young children who might run through)? He might find that threatening as well.

Yes, we gave him a 15 minute or so shower earlier today, and he just clung to the plant the whole time, with his eyes shut. We've had the dripper going constantly, as well as spraying every opportunity available, and setting ice cubes to melt on the top of the screen.

We'll try raising the cage up, thank you, I hadn't heard of that before. There aren't any animals or children, and the tank is in a fairly low traffic area, our bedroom, so hopefully he's not being stressed out from that little activity.

We are getting ready to move next week, which is adding to our concern. Do you have any tips for helping us transport Ishmael?

yeah...they don't really enjoy getting wet...but they so need it. I was reacting to your "fill in the form" info.

Fecal Description - Brown and yellow, no change recently that we've noticed

I'm glad you've made that change.When you spray, get the place dripping wet. You do need to let it dry off between sprayings, but it should just be soaked. Stand up on a stool and spray at an angle on the top screen to get it dripping. Spray the plants and all sides, then repeat on the top for as long as you can. Your dripper should be running through this.

I snickered at the "little activity" comment...thanks for that.

Do you have lights and TVs going in the room after his lights are turned off? I don't know if that's a huge issue, but it couldn't hurt and might help to wrap his cage up like he's a bird at night. They don't hear well (if at all) so noise isn't the issue, but lights can be disruptive. I know that I turn the lights on in my bedroom about 5 hours after I declare my chameleon "off to bed".

As to transporting, there are a lot of variables. I know there have been a lot of threads in the "General Discussion" forum so you might search that. How far you are travelling, how you are travelling, what time of day you are travelling...all of that matters. Hopefully you can find what you need, if not, start a thread in that forum with your specific moving information and I'm sure you'll get excellent advice.

Back
Top Bottom