My Veiled chameleon looks so sick!! PLEASE HELP

Kasidi Lynn

I recently got a veiled Chameleon and he’s been eating crickets like crazy and I was told he was a juvenile. I don’t know the age or his gender I have been trying to figure it out. Recently in the last few weeks he will just stop eating and his appetite has become way low. He has turned from a dark healthy green to a very light green. Any ideas on how to help him I have a vet appointment in a week but I need to know if it’s an emergency.

I recently got a veiled Chameleon and he’s been eating crickets like crazy and I was told he was a juvenile. I don’t know the age or his gender I have been trying to figure it out. Recently in the last few weeks he will just stop eating and his appetite has become way low. He has turned from a dark healthy green to a very light green. Any ideas on how to help him I have a vet appointment in a week but I need to know if it’s an emergency.
This is what he looks like now

Attachments

• 74E1DD62-1419-4B63-9F93-33338C57285D.jpeg
    74E1DD62-1419-4B63-9F93-33338C57285D.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 108
The experts f the group will ask you to fill out this form to better help you.
@Beman @MissSkittles @janjan20

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, not sure on sex and age. I’ve had him for 2 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Three crickets in the morning with calcium and three crickets at night
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He drinks water from a dripper and we mist with a bottle every few hours
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He’s never been tested he was a dark green now is almost white he has really dark brown spots
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I live somewhere cold so I use glass to keep in the heat with a mesh top
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The dual uvb and heat lamp that can be bought at petsmart
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor is about 80 and basking is 85-90 and lowest temp at night is 75. Measured with a thermostat
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Have a hydrometer on the glass I use a mist bottle and dripper humidity is at 90
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All fake plants
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is about 2-3 feet off the floor. Low traffic as two people live in the home
Location - Where are you geographically located? Boulder
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Very light color and not eating

If it’s the combi dome with a curled uvb bulb that will need to be changed. You need a linear t5ho light ASAP as the Cham won’t be getting enough uvb.
the experts will also want to know the exact supplements and how often you use them.

This is what he used to look like

Attachments

• CD33E776-5422-4B95-8703-0A9DF63B003A.jpeg
    CD33E776-5422-4B95-8703-0A9DF63B003A.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 0973755A-661E-4C2A-86BC-4C4CF1BC4F00.jpeg
    0973755A-661E-4C2A-86BC-4C4CF1BC4F00.jpeg
    309.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 72B9D8BD-AB2B-49C4-BBE4-7CC112E0701F.jpeg
    72B9D8BD-AB2B-49C4-BBE4-7CC112E0701F.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 144
This is the supplements and exact bulbs

Attachments

• D2E2F348-6332-4A1C-806D-AC78741F62A0.png
    D2E2F348-6332-4A1C-806D-AC78741F62A0.png
    162 KB · Views: 73
  • AF49CEB3-191C-4D4F-8FFB-045C37731196.png
    AF49CEB3-191C-4D4F-8FFB-045C37731196.png
    343.3 KB · Views: 71
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Veiled chameleon, not sure on sex and age. I’ve had him for 2 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Once a week
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Three crickets in the morning with calcium and three crickets at night This cham should be fed as much as he can eat in 15 minutes. You also need to stop feeding at night. Chams need heat, like every other reptile, to digest food. Since (I hope) there isn't any heat at night, the food cannot be properly digested. This is why we only feed in the morning.
????
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? He drinks water from a dripper and we mist with a bottle every few hours
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He’s never been tested he was a dark green now is almost white he has really dark brown spots
The question asks about the color of the feces and urate... not the color of the cham itself.

Cage Info: Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I live somewhere cold so I use glass to keep in the heat with a mesh top
Post pics of the entire enclosure please. What size?

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? The dual uvb and heat lamp that can be bought at petsmart
As said, you need a linear t5 ho 5.0 uvb bulb. Coil uvb bulbs do not emit enough uvb and kill chams.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Floor is about 80 and basking is 85-90 and lowest temp at night is 75. Measured with a thermostat
This is too high. You need ambient temp in the 70s and basking ~85

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Have a hydrometer on the glass I use a mist bottle and dripper humidity is at 90
This is way too high. Humidity should be around 30-50 and humidity should be 80-100 at night.

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? All fake plants
Fake plants for fake chams. Go all real.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is about 2-3 feet off the floor. Low traffic as two people live in the home
Try and raise the cage higher, chams like to be on top of the world since they are arboreal.

Location - Where are you geographically located? Boulder
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Very light color and not eating

You need to get a linear t5ho immediately. @Beman will be able to tell you the distances and finer points along with changes that are needed to your supplementation

Ok you need more then just this supplement. This one contains d3 along with the calcium, and should be fed one day every other week. You need to dust using a calcium without d3 at every feeding instead of this one. Your cham is being overdosed on d3.

You will also need a multivitamin. This one will be used, like the d3, one day every other week.

The first pic looks like a male but the second set of pics it looks female...are you sure it’s a male? Does it have tarsal spurs on the back feet?
I have no clue the sex of the chameleon the store I got it from said it was male but the tarsal spurs aren’t that prominent

[QUOTE="Kasidi Lynn, post: 1607246, membe
.[/QUOTE]
Based off of the top pic and supplements you may not want to wait until next week for a vet appt. I agree with the above post may be vit d overdose.

Back
Top Bottom