My Veiled Cage! Any new ideas would be great!

CheekyChameleon

Here is my veiled cage , Her name is Cleo and she seems to love it in there... but i want to give her more plants and such to climb on and hide in ... Also she always seems to sit beside this one light, So i don't know if she's getting enough heat

Ive read my chameleon care book over and over and done what i can, but i just don't think she's keeping warm....

Any ideas and comments would be great! :)

cleotank.jpg

cleotank2.jpg

And this is my Cleo Baby....

cleoface.jpg

I've put more fake plants in there since these pictures were taken... but any other ideas on live plants would be great!

Hey,

Put a nice big Ficus or a schefflera, live plants are way better.

Shes a realy nice looking cham. she almost looks my Roxy, and has the same attitude.:D

Hey,

Put a nice big Ficus or a schefflera, live plants are way better.

Shes a realy nice looking cham. she almost looks my Roxy, and has the same attitude.:D

LOL!! She does have a nice attitude... i try to pick her up sometimes, but she trys to snap around and bite me ! LOL!

i'll have to go look for some of those plants... Anything else i should stuff in there.. What about some Substrate ? or should we keep the bottom clean just in case their tongues get stuck to the substrate ?

no Substrate.
More live plants.
and do you have a uvb lamp?
You pic has only a heat lamp. So, I was wondering.

Here are recommended links to read for chameleon care:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/links/chameleon-websites-2/

There is actually a light hidden in there... it a long tube light that's inside the cage, and then there is that light that you can see in the pictures and a red light.... i have a really big ubv light kicking around, but i have to get a new bulb for it

There is actually a light hidden in there... it a long tube light that's inside the cage, and then there is that light that you can see in the pictures and a red light.... i have a really big ubv light kicking around, but i have to get a new bulb for it

I recommend putting the uvb light on the outside.

When chameleon has access to light bulb inside, unfortunate things can happened.
Better be safe than sorry.

I notice you are using glass for some of the sides. Nothing's wrong with that as long as you provide adequate ventilation (I suggest minimum of 2 screen sides for your cage).
Just for reminder, UVB is blocked by glass/ plastic.

Also, no need for red light unless your reptile room temp at night drop below 60 F.
Veiled need that 10 degree drop at night. Having the temp constantly hot at night is not healthy for him.
What brand of uvb light you are using?

When chameleon has access to light bulb inside, unfortunate things can happened.

Also, no need for red light unless your reptile room temp at night drop below 60 F.
Veiled need that 10 degree drop at night. Having the temp constantly hot at night is not healthy for him.

She's not in our Reptile room at the moment, So the basement room where she is, can get cold and can stay cold during the day... hence all the lights...

I couldn't tell you what kind of light it is... I got this cage from someone off a reptile site along with her, So everything is pretty new to me... Ive only had her for 2 months

The guy said he had that light in there since he had her from a baby..she has no way to get close to the light either, And she seems to stay away from it too...which is good

As for the one uvb light thats here is zoo-med i think

you'll need thermometer and hygrometer to monitor the temp and the humidity.
:)
Also remember that glass can trap heat more than screen cage.
So, without that thermometer, it can be quite hard to judge the actual temp in the cage.

Just wanted to make sure that you removed the plastic lens from your UVB light...If you haven't you need to because it will block the UVB.

Hope that helps and nice cham....

OPI

the light inside is a regular white fluorescent tube light

I have a thermometer in there that tells me the temp and the humidity levels... i tend to go by that and the walls arn't glass their plexi glass.. LOL

Try to get this UVB Linear light for the best quality of UVB:
reptisun5.0.jpg

People usually offer reptiGlo. But, I just avoid them. Since reptiSun is much better in quality.
reptiglo_5.0_front.JPG

Don't buy compact:
100266.jpg

they can cause photo kerato conjunctivitis to your cham.

I notice you are using glass for some of the sides. Nothing's wrong with that as long as you provide adequate ventilation (I suggest minimum of 2 screen sides for your cage).
Just for reminder, UVB is blocked by glass/ plastic.

I agree with Dodolah, if you can i would take one of the glass/plastic sides off and put a safe, durable plastic screening in its place.

I agree with Dodolah, if you can i would take one of the glass/plastic sides off and put a safe, durable plastic screening in its place.

Oh the front and top is all screen

i also have one of those rept sun lights kicking around... I'll go find it right now and put it on it

Any other ideas for my cage ?

Last edited:
5.0 is reccommended as i believe it has to do with the amount of UVB put out by the bulb. an 8.0 might be a little bit high, you may need to suspend it higher, so that he doesn't absorb a high does of UVB..

UVB is what tans the skin in humans, so they can get burns, eye problems and from what i understand a few other bad results from to much UVB as well.

*have someone else confirm what i have said*

I was taking a look at your set up again and I had another question. I see your UVB is on the front portion of your cage but the basking spot is in the back.

Consider moving your basking spot closer to your UVB source to maximize your exposure. Also a small reflector (tin foil) can help to focus your light down into your cage as the UVB will tend to degrade plastics.

HOpe that helps

OPI

I would put about two handfuls of sand in a corner. about 2 inches thick or so. Female chams lay "duds". or unfertilized eggs and if they can't find a blace to bury them,like peat moss or sand, they will not lay the eggs. when they are eggbound the only option is oxytocin or operations to remove the eggs. and usually the outcome isnt so great. Also my veiled has a 24 hour heat lamp. and a humidifier also benefits. :)

All I know is that the 10.0 causes eye damage which I have 2 of and they are very expensive and are just lying around uselessly.:mad:

Back
Top Bottom