My slight freak out||UPDATE

DawnLove

Okay,so firstly, my apologies for my temporary freak out yesterday....LOL.. ::tries to play it cool again:::cool:

but here's an update on our end - my little Jackson's gal is doing just fine, it wasn't the burns on her body I had feared originally, she wass truly just shedding! I suppose the high exposure to the UVB just kicked it into gear...
Her new color is coming out great, and she's been a very lively teal / lime green that's been hard to capture on camera...

Thanks to everyone for your help. :p
She's just about worked all of her skin off, these were just before bedtime tonight.

Still has her head left to shed, and she should be good!! :D

cham2.jpg

Hanging out in her "Money Tree" - (The Pachira)
cham3-1.jpg

cham4.jpg

Money tree? I thought I saw somewhere on the forums once that it's not good (or it is) anyways, nice pictures.

Before we bought the tree, I had researched Money tree (pachira), it was SO hard to find any information about it..appearently I wasn't the only one, it seems alot of others had the similar question..."are they safe?"

I finally found it, and it was listed in a couple places as a safe tree for them. My local nursery doesn't have any Hibiscus or Ficus's available yet..They told me about another week. I like money trees, because they are easily kept indoors, and like alot of water and humidity :)

"Scrubs and trees can be used in vivarium for a long period of time using bonsai techniques. Pachira aquatica (Money Tree) can be found throughout swampy Central America and South America. Preferring to be root-bound"

http://www.hear.org/Pier/wra/pacific/pachira_aquatica_htmlwra.htm

http://www.sniksnak.com/plants.html

I have had a female Jacksons in a, lets say, "Money tree" for a year! and she loves it! I moved her once and she got depressed. Now she is back home, and happy in her M.Tree! :)

O yea, That is one good looking female you have!

I have had a female Jacksons in a, lets say, "Money tree" for a year! and she loves it! I moved her once and she got depressed. Now she is back home, and happy in her M.Tree! :)

Has she ever tried eating it?

Ok, Not only have I been around Jacksons many years. They dont ever seem to grab a bite off the plants as do other species.

Why thank you! ;)

Glad to hear you have had success with the money tree! She is seeming to love hers! We just included it in her cage, I wanted her to feel more comfortable with climbing before I added this tree, it was temporarily being used outside, as a place to let her "chill" on our deck to bask in some good ol outdoor sunny time. She loves to play on the bottom of the plant, climbing through it's braids, it looks similar to this, but its more tightly braided together...the base is also more "woody" I guess you could say, and easier for her to climb, the top is also filled with leafy branch highways of fun. ha.
20059171732534236911_Potted_plant__Pachira_macrocarpa__Money_Tree.jpg

so far in her cage we've included :
2 stalks of bamboo, which she loves to play on...(we have TONS of it in our backyard, so Im considering using some of those as well, but the ones in her cage were purchased and cleansed well)

1 Purple Passion Vine, which helps greatly with humidity (her's is much smaller than this one)
1067133419134_Passion_Vine_Basket.jpg

1 money tree (pachira)

3 Jungle Vines

1 Giant (fake) green leaf, I use this one for her drip system, it bends perfectly right into her drip cup

1 large ground coverage plant that is PERFECT for catching water, nice big leaves that hold the water for quite some time. but for the life of me, I can't remember the name of it. It was on the safe list, which we've ensured everything was.

2 (Fake) Leaved branches, one is being used for ground coverage to catch any misted water, I'd prefer the water to evaporate off the fabric leaves,(iven she doesn't lap it up first lol) than fall into the ground.. We are temporarily using substrate, to help with humidity, since we have a Jackson's. Once our automatic mister and fogger are in place, I am looking to eliminate the substrate all together. I'd like to keep the ground coverage plants down there instead with some paper towels underneathe. We've been making sure to keep the substrate quite clean and free of any bugs so far, to prevent any issues from arising.
We've placed rocks in some of the planted pots to cover the soil (which is already organic and sifted - but I'd like to keep any escaped crickets / superworms out of there) Some of the other potted plants have a mesh netting securely attached, to allow the soil to aireate...

I wanted to get this plant, while at the nursery referred to as a ZZ Plant (Zamia) but couldn't find anything on it, it looked PERFECT for climbing. So if anyone has any knowledge on it, please let me know! :)
ZZplant.jpg

We did most of our plant shopping in the house plant section as well, so we wouldn't have another battle on our hands with trying to keep the plants alive. lol. I can't wait til the some new plants come into the nursery, I'd like to get her another good tall tree for climbing! :D

Not to say that you shouldn't be aware of what plants are toxic and what ones aren't...

But I've never known a Jacksons to eat plant matter. I'm sure there could be some exceptions, but they really don't.

I wouldn't worry nearly as much about having a toxic plant in with a Jacksons as I would a Veiled or other species I didn't know a lot about. Not that I wouldn't still avoid them just in case.

Good job with the plants and beautiful little jacksons.

Thank you!

I am new to this world, so this has been a huge learning process for me, but so far, LOVING it! I never quite understood why some people loved having reptiles, as I have always been an owner of things I could physically love on..but now, I most certainly see the absolute beauty & full spectrum of it.

I adore my lil girl now, and I look forward to comin home to seeing her each day...

We have 4 guinea pigs, with a c&c large enclosure for them, and all fleece bedding, so keeping them all cleaned & fed is also a challenge...

A doberman who's an absolute stunner..

9 Beta fish. (lol) I am a huge addict of these..

So we have our carnivore, herbivores, algaevores(ha what other term could I use for beta fish) and now our insectivore... huge array of food we have going on over here to keep fresh and healthy..:p

Not to say that you shouldn't be aware of what plants are toxic and what ones aren't...

But I've never known a Jacksons to eat plant matter. I'm sure there could be some exceptions, but they really don't.

I wouldn't worry nearly as much about having a toxic plant in with a Jacksons as I would a Veiled or other species I didn't know a lot about. Not that I wouldn't still avoid them just in case.

I've yet to see her try to nibble on anything just yet, but I am still very precautious, her health is still of the most importance... :D

I did read somewhere, to be careful of them trying to actually eat the bamboo itself, which I dont think she will, but if she does, that stuff is coming right out, the leaves of the bamboo are slightly out of her reach, but I heard they were safe...

For Jacksons chameleons, the types of toxic plants you REALLY want to avoid are the types that excrete things. Any plant that oozes chemicals when leaves or stems snap off would be bad.

You don't have to really worry too much about a Jacksons EATING a plant, but you do have to worry about your Jacksons rubbing itself on plants, and getting something toxic on its skin, or in its mouth or eyes.

For Jacksons chameleons, the types of toxic plants you REALLY want to avoid are the types that excrete things. Any plant that oozes chemicals when leaves or stems snap off would be bad.

You don't have to really worry too much about a Jacksons EATING a plant, but you do have to worry about your Jacksons rubbing itself on plants, and getting something toxic on its skin, or in its mouth or eyes.

Yeah, I had read about the sap of a ficus possibly doing eye damage, not sure if I want to get a ficus, even if I do make sure the sap dries when cutting it back. She seems to be having a grand ol time in the things she has now. She's outside as we speak, playing in our natural bamboo growing, a few of the peices are VERY big, so they are bending down, making them a great lil perch for some natural sun and climbing. I took a few pics, I'll haveta upload them later, as it's time to go back to work. :(

Well I always love the term "Better safe than sorry."

Goodluck with your little one.

Good job. I called it! Yay, go me for recognizing the start of a shed. Woohoo. Happy dance going on over here!

Im assuming if toxic, it would require a fair amount of ingestion for it to do any harm. The money tree looks FUN!!!!

The pachira excretes a sticky sap like stuff when growing new leaves or one snaps off.

I let my Veiled Norman climb on mine, but only supervised. if he climbs up to far I take him off and put him back down lower :p

I bought one too, not knowing until getting it home and repotting it that it could be toxic.

Back
Top Bottom