My set up

RSGriff

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Im on the hunt for a nice live plant and I think I have everything I need... If not, what am I missing.

Also, what do you recommend for a floor surface?

Don't use that. Get the reptisun 5.0 linear tube, as presented in the image above.

thanks for the info. the linear bulbs will fit in any normal hood right?

I have read to avoid bark substrate, How does everyone feel about sand.

ill take your word for it. :D

Ill head out to homedepot tonight to see what I can get on hoods, swing by petco and return the bulb and pick up the tube instead.

ill take your word for it. :D

Ill head out to homedepot tonight to see what I can get on hoods, swing by petco and return the bulb and pick up the tube instead.

Excellent. You are doing a great job so far.

If you are still looking for bottom solutions, check out my thread.
Cost:
4 bricks - $10
Tub - $2

If you still have the pvc bottom, cut about 1-2cm wide holes, then cover those with a metal screen to prevent feeders getting through. I used a hot glue gun.

For a plant, lowes and depot usually have a pretty solid selection of shefflera arbricola. They are pretty hard to kill, handle brutal repotting sessions, and do well under ambient indirect sunlight. I am a big fan of them.

Hanging pothos is another great filler. Hard to kill, not a great climber, but helps fill up room for humidity.

Ficus are really nice if you got some pruning skills, I have seen some people do great things with them.

I was debating between the ficus and the hanging pathos. It seems that a pathos is significantly cheaper so I'm going to try to pick one up at depot while I'm returning the clamp light. I dont have a pvc bottom since I built my cage from scratch, but im sure I could find some kind of liner that would work well to collect excess moisture.

Ill be back

I was debating between the ficus and the hanging pathos. It seems that a pathos is significantly cheaper so I'm going to try to pick one up at depot while I'm returning the clamp light. I dont have a pvc bottom since I built my cage from scratch, but im sure I could find some kind of liner that would work well to collect excess moisture.

Ill be back

Pothos dont provide very good support. More of a filler. The wide leaves and lack of solid branches dont provide great climbing material. I would use it as a more supplemental plant to a bigger one.

Go big, oversized, you can always trim it down to size.

The pothos plant, from my experence, is more of a filler plant aswell. It provides a place to hide, added humidity, and the broad leafs hold water very well for drinking.

-Jay

ok, Ill keep an eye out for the other plants. Home Depot is out of pretty much all the indoor tropical plants at the moment, I presume its because we are starting to get into outdoor planting season here in ohio.

ok, Ill keep an eye out for the other plants. Home Depot is out of pretty much all the indoor tropical plants at the moment, I presume its because we are starting to get into outdoor planting season here in ohio.

I found sheffleras both inside and outside. Bigger ones being outside.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/plants/
Here is a good list of what is reccomended.

Some of the sheffs go by "Golden Abricola", I think it really comes down to local availability too. Try googling "[city name] plant nursery", plants are usually cheaper and of wider variety of shapes and sizes. Go for something bushy with alot of branches developed.

Thanks for the help everyone. My boy will be delivered tomorrow morning, and Im just checking to make sure I have everything I need (for now).

Cage- 2'x2'x5'
Day and night heat lamps
the UV bulb you recommended
simple drip system
misting bottle
various fake plants
pothos (small but it will grow)
3.5'schefflera
Temp and Humidity Gauges (What ranges should I be aiming for with a baby male veiled?)
and some temporary ground cover in the form of a large trash bag (to keep the moisture off the plywood) and tank rocks (to hold it down/collect feces) until I set up my drainage system.

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

for food, I ordered some fruit flies until I can get my one systems set up.
and I purchased a bottle of reptical +D3
Anything else?

where did you get that cage!??!?!

I WANT ONE :)

could you get me the measurements so i could build it up?

my cham is growing up :( and he needs a bigger room :)

I have a large background of woodworking in my family. I spent an evening building this. I see your from Ohio, what city?

Looking great, except the foliage might be a little sparse on top. Set the sheff on a crate or a box and it should be perfect height.

Zip tie up some washed branches from a tree for lateral support if you would like, mine seems to really enjoy the lateral branches, but in the end the sheff and pothos will be more than fine.

Be sure you check the direct temps of the basking spot with a thermometer. I have my main thermometer on the hottest point of the cage to make sure I never bake him. The hand test works as well.

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
Check out the kitty blog. Alot of people don't need a night lamp, as night temps should be in the lower range. It also has approrpriate temp ranges, among other well compiled information. Well worth the read.

You are on your way to a great start though! Great job.

chillicothe :)

where are you from!!

yehh i would like to just build one up. that one looks perf!

so how would i go about doing that?

Back
Top Bottom