My Parents Don't Trust Me!!! HELP!!!

Okay so iv'e been trying to get a chameleon since Christmas on 2011 but my parents wont trust me buying another one and today i saw one at the store and my patents are STILL not trustworthy to me! Here is the story why they don't trust me; So about a year ago I bought a chameleon off of a website that had chameleons (not going to say) and I had been learning on how to take care of chameleons for about 3 months, I already had all of the cage set up and everything, and the chameleon finally came in. My parents were happy for me having a a chameleon, but after the third day the chameleon started getting sick...a lot, and i couldn't get another one because the warranty was for only one day. So basically he had to we had him for 2 months until he sadly died, we couldn't do anything about it :(. We were guessing that the chameleon was already sick. Then about six months later I decided that i knew that i should have gotten the chameleon from a MORE reliable store, but when i finally did want to get him, my parents neglected my request, because they said that it was going to die again, and I was going to buy it with my own money. So then I said it's okay I'll try in a couple of months. And now is the time again, and just what you would have thought, they said NOOOOOOO BECAUSE IT IS GOING TO DIE!!!! AND BECAUSE THEY ARE TO SENSITIVE AND DIE EASILY!! That got me SOOO mad!! They still don't trust me no matter what I say!!! Please help me, I want to get a chameleon but my parents are to over protective!!! :mad:

Reminds me of A Christmas Story. "You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!" :)

i dont think theyre being overprotective but, just set the cage up have everything ready and measure your temp (make sure theyre right) and compare them to yours and show your parents how you know the care and just give them time

i dont think theyre being overprotective but, just set the cage up have everything ready and measure your temp (make sure theyre right) and compare them to yours and show your parents how you know the care and just give them time

Ill try doing that, but what else should I say if they keep saying the same thing?

What is your age and what other reptiles do you have?

Did you handle the chameleon when you first got it?

How did you go about watering it?

As for your parents. If an animal dies they are naturally going to be cautious about getting another, especially if they are not reptile keepers themselves. If they have looked at any info on the web about chameleons they would know these are not hardy animals but instead require some planning, experience, and then some luck.

panther you should have started out with a veiled since they more of a hardy species and if they say the same thing just wait a week and ask again just dont bug my mom lets me get whatever reptile i want except spiders,snakes and scorpions im getting a baby sulcata tortoise Friday

panther you should have started out with a veiled since they more of a hardy species and if they say the same thing just wait a week and ask again just dont bug my mom lets me get whatever reptile i want except spiders,snakes and scorpions im getting a baby sulcata tortoise Friday

Veileds and panthers IMHO are not too far off in care.

What is your age and what other reptiles do you have?

Did you handle the chameleon when you first got it?

How did you go about watering it?

As for your parents. If an animal dies they are naturally going to be cautious about getting another, especially if they are not reptile keepers themselves. If they have looked at any info on the web about chameleons they would know these are not hardy animals but instead require some planning, experience, and then some luck.

like oldchmkeeper said u should do alot of research nd learn more before getting it

Write your parents a 5 paragraph persuasive essay to try to convince them. Sounds corny, but it will prove your seriousness. You should have an intro paragraph, 3 paragraphs each supporting a good, solid reason WHY you should be trusted to get a chameleon, and a concluding paragraph. You need to show them that you did your research. Acknowledge mistakes you may have made with your first purchase, and describe what you will do differently this time to avoid the same outcome.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it will show your parents that you are serious. If you want to sell them your idea, put effort into it. If you write a crappy paper, they won't even consider it because it'll prove you want things without working hard. Put forth effort, and they will notice. Yes, I sound like a teacher. ;) Try it. Many of my students have had success with this method.

Write your parents a 5 paragraph persuasive essay to try to convince them. Sounds corny, but it will prove your seriousness. You should have an intro paragraph, 3 paragraphs each supporting a good, solid reason WHY you should be trusted to get a chameleon, and a concluding paragraph. You need to show them that you did your research. Acknowledge mistakes you may have made with your first purchase, and describe what you will do differently this time to avoid the same outcome.

This may sound like a lot of work, but it will show your parents that you are serious. If you want to sell them your idea, put effort into it. If you write a crappy paper, they won't even consider it because it'll prove you want things without working hard. Put forth effort, and they will notice. Yes, I sound like a teacher. ;) Try it. Many of my students have had success with this method.

I agree with the above.

also Consider "prooving" yourself with an easier lizard pet first.

You dont really know what happened to the first chameleon (you were keeping her too hot, supplementing wrong etc so it may not have "already been sick")

Beyond that, your parents set the rules. Abide by them. It's their house, likely their money that would pay for vet bills, pet sitters, etc and it sounds like they are simply doing the right thing by not potentially putting another chameleon at risk until they think you are ready. Complaining that they dont trust you isnt going to make you seem more mature or responsible.

Last edited:
Ya know...I would point them to this board. Have them become members and encourage them to be part of the process. The fact is, they should be part of the process. Let them see the resources available to you, that you've found this. That there is this great well of information you can access, these true experts you can ask for help.

But, once you've done that (and, write the paragraphs if you decide to to that...I know I did that as a child, as a parent I'm not sure how much credence I'd give it if my daughter did that) you need to show evidence of maturity. As Sandra says, it's their house. I would even suggest using those words: "I understand it's your house and your rules so I will, obviously, do what you say to do."

As a parent, I can tell you that I'm much more likely to give in to my daughter's wishes if she makes it clear she understands my objections and is willing to abide by my decision without turning into an angsty mess.

ShaunaRoxanne, Sandrachameleon and Elizadolots have said it very well, indeed.

Present them with a well considered, well thought out proposal. If they still say no, just accept it and bide your time. You won't be living with them forever!!

Back
Top Bottom