My Panther seems too tame...

I have a gorgeous ambilobe (Skittles) that’s about 4.5 months old. I have made every effort to have him associate me with food. Essentially this means that he eats every worm out of my hands and most crickets or roaches from a cup that I hold. Over the past week he has seemed overly anxious to see me and when I open the cage he runs out onto my arm. I have checked to make sure that his temps and humidity are in a good place (which they are) so I’m confused as to why he seems to want to climb on me. It may sound like I’m complaining about a good thing but I don’t want there to be an issue that I’m causing due to feeding/handling habits.

Attachments

• E5374F79-262B-4FD9-B6B3-4FAC8ADC911D.jpeg
    E5374F79-262B-4FD9-B6B3-4FAC8ADC911D.jpeg
    244.4 KB · Views: 122
Ugh you really have it good, dont you? :ROFLMAO: your cham is an absolute beauty, AND he wants to spend time with you??? You're living all of our fantasies!!

I think if everything about your husbandry is on point, which with a cham that beautiful I would assume it is, then maybe he is a little older than you think and he is starting to hit that age where he is looking for some loving from a peachy little lady :ROFLMAO: I only say this because my boy who is somewhere between 6 and 7 months give or take is starting to do the same thing. Not necessarily run to me, but trying to run out of his enclosure to some nearby plants when I open the door. He also seems to be roughly the same size as your guy, just based off that picture. Not nearly as pretty though :cautious: (ignore the jealousy dropping from my words)

A lot of Panthers are like this, they want to explore. I personally think their minimum suggested cage size (2x2x4) is too small. JMO though.
I agree. Pesto has always used 100% of his baby cage and I just didnt feel like doing a 2x2x4 would be enough for him. Plus I really like the aesthetics of a wider cage. Really cant wait for his new enclosure to be ready!!

Sorry for spamming your post, but looking at your guys picture (I cant stop staring) has really got me curious!
How much does he weigh? Is he RBBB? I ask because Pesto has literally NEVER shown blue bars like your boy and he is supposed to he RBBB as well. I've learned to question pretty much everything that the breeder I got him from told me though lol. I know all chams are different, but the difference between our guys is drastic. Maybe I'm just holding out hope that I actually got a YBRB lol

How big is his enclosure? he is showing amazing color for his age!
A lot of Panthers are like this, they want to explore. I personally think their minimum suggested cage size (2x2x4) is too small. JMO though.
I think the same, even for my female. All she wants to do is come out and explore she will wait directly by the door opening and skip on out. When I move I plan on giving her a large atrium.
I agree. Pesto has always used 100% of his baby cage and I just didnt feel like doing a 2x2x4 would be enough for him. Plus I really like the aesthetics of a wider cage. Really cant wait for his new enclosure to be ready!!

I think this may be the issue :/

I have a 2x1.5x3 cage. I got him a smaller one to start and then have plans to upgrade to a Dragon Strand. That said, there are still lots of places in the cage he doesn't explore...

I have had him since he was 2-2.5 months old and got him from Kammerflage so I am pretty sure his age is accurate... thank you so much for the kind words about his colors, we are amazed daily.

Sorry for spamming your post, but looking at your guys picture (I cant stop staring) has really got me curious!
How much does he weigh? Is he RBBB? I ask because Pesto has literally NEVER shown blue bars like your boy and he is supposed to he RBBB as well. I've learned to question pretty much everything that the breeder I got him from told me though lol. I know all chams are different, but the difference between our guys is drastic. Maybe I'm just holding out hope that I actually got a YBRB lol
Spam away! ;)

I'm not sure his weight but he looks solid. He's a YBBB and his sire is Two Rivers from Kammerflage. Do you have more pics of your guy to share? I live just north of Denver btw :)

Spam away! ;)

I'm not sure his weight but he looks solid. He's a YBBB and his sire is Two Rivers from Kammerflage. Do you have more pics of your guy to share? I live just north of Denver btw :)
Oh god that's why he is so beautiful, you have my dream chameleon :love: :love:
I got Pesto from a breeder in the springs, weve been questioning a lot of things he told me.
This is Pesto, he is 45g as of Sunday. If we believe his breeder he is 7 months old at the end of this month. I think he might be younger.
20190811_092405.jpg

20190811_195441.jpg

Also welcome to the elite group of geniuses who thought it would be a good idea to keep a cham in Colorado :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh god that's why he is so beautiful, you have my dream chameleon :love: :love:
I got Pesto from a breeder in the springs, weve been questioning a lot of things he told me.
This is Pesto, he is 45g as of Sunday. If we believe his breeder he is 7 months old at the end of this month. I think he might be younger. View attachment 243021

View attachment 243022

Also welcome to the elite group of geniuses who thought it would be a good idea to keep a cham in Colorado :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I am in NO way an expert but he does look younger than 7 months...

Because of the age we got Skittles I know that he is close to 4.5 months old just based on the fact that he was a scrawny little button the day we got him. haha

How long have you had Pesto? He is gorgeous! Do you have a picture of the sire?

Just out of curiosity and in your honest opinion what would you suggest the size of the enclosure to be? I also feel 2x2x4 is small even for a male veiled which usually end up larger than a Panther.

Hmmm it's hard to say because I feel like Panthers are a roaming kind of animal. They would use a whole room if you gave it to them. IME they did well on free ranges. Of course this isn't feasible or necessary for most, so I probably would do a 4ft wide by 4ft tall at least. I don't blame people, especially breeders, for using smaller, but I just think they thrive with larger. I almost feel like they like more space than a Parsons.

I am in NO way an expert but he does look younger than 7 months...

Because of the age we got Skittles I know that he is close to 4.5 months old just based on the fact that he was a scrawny little button the day we got him. haha

How long have you had Pesto? He is gorgeous! Do you have a picture of the sire?
I picked him up on April 18th, I was told he was born at the end of January.
This is him the day I got him
20190418_143427.jpg
20190418_162624.jpg

I have pictures of his sire deep in my emails somewhere lol.

I think this may be the issue :/

I have a 2x1.5x3 cage. I got him a smaller one to start and then have plans to upgrade to a Dragon Strand. That said, there are still lots of places in the cage he doesn't explore...

I have had him since he was 2-2.5 months old and got him from Kammerflage so I am pretty sure his age is accurate... thank you so much for the kind words about his colors, we are amazed daily.
Yeah from the looks of your pics the cage is really filled out as well. Basking is sitting about 7-8 inches below his T5HO fixture right? I think he is just active. I have a very very friendly Male Veiled. He would prefer to be out with me and he has a medium tall atrium with plenty of branches, plants, perfect temps, and lighting. lol So I think it is just some prefer to be out and more friendly while others prefer their cages. lol

I have a gorgeous ambilobe (Skittles) that’s about 4.5 months old. I have made every effort to have him associate me with food. Essentially this means that he eats every worm out of my hands and most crickets or roaches from a cup that I hold. Over the past week he has seemed overly anxious to see me and when I open the cage he runs out onto my arm. I have checked to make sure that his temps and humidity are in a good place (which they are) so I’m confused as to why he seems to want to climb on me. It may sound like I’m complaining about a good thing but I don’t want there to be an issue that I’m causing due to feeding/handling habits.

I have almost the exact same chameleon from the same source and he has always done the same thing. He is 2 now. This is despite enlarging his enclosure and providing many more branches and plants. He wants out, always, and sometimes he is too fast for me when I don’t really have time to hold him. He is angry here because he crawled out to free roam on a large plant I have and I woke him up to put him back in his enclosure. This is not his normal color at all.

7E010DAE-8F08-42CA-A88C-074D29CAC864.jpeg

Yeah from the looks of your pics the cage is really filled out as well. Basking is sitting about 7-8 inches below his T5HO fixture right? I think he is just active. I have a very very friendly Male Veiled. He would prefer to be out with me and he has a medium tall atrium with plenty of branches, plants, perfect temps, and lighting. lol So I think it is just some prefer to be out and more friendly while others prefer their cages. lol
Well this would be the ideal situation, but I want to make sure it's not because he hates his house. lol. T5HO is about 10 inches away (based on breeders recommendations). I will look into upgrading the cage soonish.

I have almost the exact same chameleon from the same source and he has always done the same thing. He is 2 now. This is despite enlarging his enclosure and providing many more branches and plants. He wants out, always, and sometimes he is too fast for me when I don’t really have time to hold him. He is angry here because he crawled out to free roam on a large plant I have and I woke him up to put him back in his enclosure. This is not his normal color at all.

View attachment 243036
That's helpful to know, thank you!

And what a good looking boy, what locale? I'm assuming RBBB Ambilobe?

Back
Top Bottom