My Panther only eats crickets........

Litldevlbmx666

Hello my name is Patrick. I have a 5 month old male panther. I dust his crickets with both repti cal poweders. Because he is in my basement in my room and he does not get direct sunlight. When I first got him I gave him crickets for about a week. I tried to move on to Horn worms. He has NO INTEREST in them what so ever. He eats crickets out of my hand and when I hold a Horn worm in front of him he looks at me like im stupid. I know I have to change up his diet every now and then and not only feed him crickets. But the little guy wont touch anything else besides crickets and ideas ?

I also threw like 4 Horn Worms in his cage just to cruise around and see if he would touch him. And NOTHING WTF can anyone help any ideas would be a lot of help.

How big are the hornworms you are trying to feed? Maybe they are tOO big??? Sometimes it is just the way it is and they just do not want to eat certain foods.. My cham wont touch crickets! Do you have a multivitamin also?

First off, welcome to the forums!

They don't really have to eat things other than crickets as long as you are gutloading and supplementing properly. And it may be because he's young and maybe when he's older he will change his mind. Or maybe he just doesn't like hornworms! You could try other types of worms like butterworms, silkworms, small superworms, maybe even small grasshoppers if you can collect them in an area you know is free of pesticides. But don't use mealworms, they're not very good feeders. And don't feed any bugs that are bigger than the space between his eyes so he won't choke on it.

The general consensus for dusting is to use a calcium powder without D3 or phosphours at every feeding. Use a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin twice a month. If he never sees real sunlight it's absolutely critical to have a UVB bulb on him. And those are only good for about 6 months. Even if they're shining they stop putting out UVB. Gutloading is essential as well. You have to feed the crickets all the good things you'd want your cham to get. So feed your crickets fresh fruits in veggies that are higher in calcium than phosphorus while avoiding goitrogens and oxalates. This site has excellent nutritional info on commonly available fruits and veggies to use for gutloading.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have other questions about anything!

I had the same issue with my Ambilobe, now he won't eat crickets at all. Your panther will eat as he gets older..... Maybe.

Hey at least your chameleon is eating. Mine has an eye problem and he hasn't eaten in quite a while!

my cham only ate crickets for awhile( about two months of having him) i placed a huge order with mullberry farms just to spoil him and find out what he likes( p.s. mullberry was fast, polite, and all healthey feeders on arrival) but the horn worms, silk worms, and butter worms were rejected, also he only ate about three or four of the ..i forget the name and am too lazy too look it up, but the small grubs ..i think repti-worms..they haul ass everywhere, lol..but after about a month later btw all the feeders were still thriving and growing..he would take a silkey, and a horn(the horn worms grow like they are on drugs!!!) but he liked then in a larger size(it took him like a full minute to eat just one) it worried me he liked them big..but maybe its a size thing..smaller, maybe bigger, but just dont go too big, and if yer cham stars to gag..pull it out!!(ive never had a cham choke, but i figure thats what you would do just in case)..but give it time, and keep trying different methods like you are dooing..also my cham seems to "go" for things more when they have the berry flavored sticky farms dust on them..maybe a taste thing??

I work for a vet. Who also see's reptiles. He told me to use the repti cal phosphours free with calcuim and d3 every feeding and use the repti cal with multi vitamins once a week cuz you dont want to overdoes him on the vitamins. also as far as the horn worms problem they are not bigger then him they are actually about the same size as the crickets. im going to the reptile swap by my house this saturday to buy a new uvb light and ill try the roaches but the screen cage i have him in the sliding doors has a little gap in it and i would hate to have the roaches escape haha that wouldnt be good. but im also gunna try silk worms or "repti worms" never heard of them befor. I just hope he starts eating them worms........ ill be picking up food wise roaches, silk worms, and ill try other things too ill just look around. Ill also be picking up the UVB light as well. Along with the new Monsoon RS 400 Mister......anyone have that mister system ? is it good any problems ? i would like to know before i go out and spend 100 bucks on that system...... :) thanks for the replys ive never used a forum before for anything but i think im hooked now !!!!!!!

from what ive seen(havent used either one yet) but the monsoon..for the price is a good system..cheaper than the mist king..otherwise i think lll reptile has theirs on sale(its mist king size and quality from what i know) and its only like 55 bucks right now..it hold like three gallons..but good luck..maybe a lil more humidity and uv will help the appetite...

I work for a vet. Who also see's reptiles. He told me to use the repti cal phosphours free with calcuim and d3 every feeding and use the repti cal with multi vitamins once a week cuz you dont want to overdoes him on the vitamins.

Hi Patrick, Glad you are on the forums

Calcium WITH d3 should only be given once every two weeks (some people do it once a week). You CAN overdose on D3. D3 from supplements can build up in the chameleon's body cause health issues.

Calcium WITHOUT d3 can be used at every feedling

DEZ im the guy in chicago that bought the male Ambilobe from you about 2 weeks ago. what where you feeding his before you shipped him ? Also he had his first shed already and he looks AMAZING thank you so much I still would say your the best shipper I have come across. thank you so much

DEZ im the guy in chicago that bought the male Ambilobe from you about 2 weeks ago. what where you feeding his before you shipped him ? Also he had his first shed already and he looks AMAZING thank you so much I still would say your the best shipper I have come across. thank you so much

Ha ha I knew it was you when you wrote your room was in the basement...I thought oh yeah the 'vampire' that works at night. lol

We mainly feed crickets with the odd silkworm or butterworm now and again. Mostly the babies eat crickets though so that may be why he is not wanting to venture to eating a worm. Movement has a lot to do with it too.. Sometimes worms just don't move enough.

Have you tried silkworms?

Hi Patrick, Glad you are on the forums

Calcium WITH d3 should only be given once every two weeks (some people do it once a week). You CAN overdose on D3. D3 from supplements can build up in the chameleon's body cause health issues.

Calcium WITHOUT d3 can be used at every feedling

I agree!!

p.s. i do the once every other week, then once a week and alternate..(i really wish i could hook my cham up to a dyno to tune him for full performance like my gsxr!!! lol)

Ill be buying them when i go to the reptile swap. ya thats what i was thinking that they dont move a lot so thats why he's not interested. Dez your amazing and i have been throwing your number to my friends who are interested in getting chameleons. i even went to a pet store by my house and told them where i got him. I hope you get a few people who buy from you cuz your GREAT ive never had anyone call me to tell me that the shipment is ready to be picked up ! most people dont even care if i know or not its all about the money. Thanks again and by the way im not a vampire haha and yes i do work nights im actually at work now and ill be here till 5 am !!!!! i clocked in at 5pm and ill be here till 5 am 12 hour shifts SUCK but i love money ! haha thanks again

Reactions: Dez
First off, welcome to the forums!

They don't really have to eat things other than crickets as long as you are gutloading and supplementing properly. And it may be because he's young and maybe when he's older he will change his mind. Or maybe he just doesn't like hornworms! You could try other types of worms like butterworms, silkworms, small superworms, maybe even small grasshoppers if you can collect them in an area you know is free of pesticides. But don't use mealworms, they're not very good feeders. And don't feed any bugs that are bigger than the space between his eyes so he won't choke on it.

The general consensus for dusting is to use a calcium powder without D3 or phosphours at every feeding. Use a calcium with D3 and a multivitamin twice a month. If he never sees real sunlight it's absolutely critical to have a UVB bulb on him. And those are only good for about 6 months. Even if they're shining they stop putting out UVB. Gutloading is essential as well. You have to feed the crickets all the good things you'd want your cham to get. So feed your crickets fresh fruits in veggies that are higher in calcium than phosphorus while avoiding goitrogens and oxalates. This site has excellent nutritional info on commonly available fruits and veggies to use for gutloading.

Hope that helps, let us know if you have other questions about anything!

thats great to know about the lights I would have kept using the same one until it stopped working! thank you!
I was wondering if i am feeding mine to much, I got them meal worms because i ran out of crickets sunday and the only store open didnt have anything but that by the time I could get there and they wont eat them, so mine pretty much only eats crickets too, but they are eating about 12 a day it really seems like they never stop eating! the only other things I have found mine to eat is phoenix worms is that a good feeder for them? and if they are good for them then maybe you could try those because I'm telling you mine love them!!

one thing i need to add..i like the fact chamelot chams is supporting the customers/new dads and moms..makes me think about my next purchase....checking out the site now..btw..

awe thanks Patrick! We put a lot of love and care in our chameleons and I can honestly say I love each one of them. Our number one goal is for people to have a good chameleon experience. They are such wonderful and fascinating animals.

Im very glad you joined the forums it a great place to learn and research.

awe thanks Patrick! We put a lot of love and care in our chameleons and I can honestly say I love each one of them. Our number one goal is for people to have a good chameleon experience. They are such wonderful and fascinating animals.

Im very glad you joined the forums it a great place to learn and research.

gained +1 experience, +2 chameleon keeper ability, +10 customer support...lol

p.s. i have my eye on some of the "sons" you have available..placing order on next check...chameleons are like crack....lol

watch out sdheli she might call you at 7 am to tell you that your chameleon is ready to be picked up at your local ups store haha im very happy with her and her chameleons and her customer care ! i was half asleep when she called me to go pick him up haha she actually check the tracking for me and called me up to tell me that he was ready to be picked up ! haha AMAZING customer care if you ask me ! and the little guy has AMAZING color !!!!!! i give her 10's across the board !

Back
Top Bottom