My panther had a weird experience after a shower today.

KCcham

Hello everyone, it has been awhile since I have posted here.

I have a male Panther that is about a year and a half old that I got from Jim at Chameleon Company about six months ago. To day when I was giving showers to all our chams, i went to get him off of the tree and when he opened his mouth, there was a clear "gel" like substance that came out. It was about a teaspoon and a half worth of stuff. I have never seen any of our Chams have it before. It has like he was holding the water in his mouth, and it just turned to gel. I had left him in there for about 20 minutes because he looked like he was continuing to drink.

Any ideas of what it it? Should I be worried?

I didnt fill out the form since it was an isolated instance and it happenend in the shower. If needed I can fill it out.

Thanks in advance, Jeffrey

P.S. he is the proud dad of 54 eggs in the incubator.

To day when I was giving showers to all our chams, i went to get him off of the tree and when he opened his mouth, there was a clear "gel" like substance that came out.

A thirsty cham can salivate pretty heavily while drinking. Was the "gel" clear? If so, it can be a sign that he was a bit dehydrated.

Yes it totally clear. I thought dehydration at first, since he drank non stop for so long. I have seen him drink in the cage, and have a misting system that mists twice a day. Maybe I need to set it for a longer period of misting.

Thanks, jeffrey

Yes it totally clear. I thought dehydration at first, since he drank non stop for so long. I have seen him drink in the cage, and have a misting system that mists twice a day. Maybe I need to set it for a longer period of misting.

Thanks, jeffrey

Drinking for a long time and heavy drooling is a sign of dehydration. You do need to up the misting (longer less intense is better than short heavy bursts). You can try this...start misting the cage and foliage. If he starts swallowing and licking his lips, move the sprayer so it is dripping right above his face. Many chams start drinking the water that runs down their face and you can keep dribbling water on his face and snout until he turns away. This can be a pretty easy way to make sure he's getting enough. Also check your general cage humidity level. It may be drier for more of the day than you realize which will also dehydrate him.

I have never seen this with a cham bt I have seen a (rescued) beareded dragon drink so much that she kind of regurged a bit after drinking...that was like thick clear drool...she actally did this quite often for the first couple of weeks we had her but she no longer does this. She was quite poorly in lots of ways at the time so I was not 100 percent sure if it was a sign of dehydration or something else bt the problem solved its self.

Thankyupu all for the help! I have increased the misting time and will report back with what happens. Again, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom