My Panther, Cheech!

cburns32

I'm fairly new here and I just thought I'd let you guys know about my panther and his setup.

I currently have a 4ft tall x 3ft wide x 3ft deep wired enclosures. This is home to my 8 month old panther, Cheech. He has many perches, vines and leaves to climb on, plenty of hiding places, good shade cover but also access to both the UVB and his basking area (I will get a picture up of his enclosure tomorrow). For his lighting I have a 3 ft long UVB that stretches across the top of the cage which is about 12 inches away from my 75 watt basking light with 7" deflector dome. At night there is a 40 watt red heat/night viewing light. The temperatures during the day under the basking light (warm side) range from 95-100*F and under the UVB light (cool side) 88-95*F, as you go lower in the cage the temperatures obviously dip but not significant at all (just enough so he can move to different levels in the cage to raise/lower his body temperature). At night the temperatures dip but again nothing significant on one side of the cage the temperature reads 79*F and the other side 84*F (this is the side closer to the night light). He usually sleeps 12-18 inches below the light under a few leaves. His lights go on at 7 am and turn off at 7 pm. He is under a mist schedule which runs for 45 seconds 6 times a day at 2 1/2 hour intervals and twice at night for about 10-15 seconds just to keep the humidity up. The humidity is where I seem to have a problem as my cage is so large and is all wire. After misting the humidity jumps up to 50-60% but after an hour or two this dips back down to 35-45% and I feeling that is way too low. I feed him 12-18 large gut-loaded crickets once a day or every other day. Supplemented with 3-6 large mealworms once a day or every other day. He seems extremely healthy, he's always wondering around his cage in search of crickets, changes colors beautifully, very responsive to people and loves to come out of the cage (nearly walks out of the cage onto my hand when I open the door). I have not many concerns for him but here a few minor things and questions I have...

Are my temperatures where they need to be at?
Do I feed him enough? Too much?
Should I be dusting my crickets? If so with what and how often?
Is my humidity a concern? If so how can I fix that issue?
Does he get enough water (with the misting schedule I have)?
I often find him with one eye or both eyes closed during the day when he is basking or soaking up UVBs is this normal or should I be concerned? (this seems to be the only unusual behavior)
Is his enclosure large enough? If not do I need a bigger one now or a bigger one in the future?
How often should I take him out?

I will have pics of him and his enclosure up tomorrow.

Ill answer a couple then go n to bed...
Temps are a bit too high, basking needs to be 85-90, 100 is a bit high for a panther. If ur cage is not holding the humidity u can increase humidity by placing plastic on 2-3 walls of the cage. U might also want to get a dripper.

Ok, a couple of things. First the cage size is great and there is no need to ever upgrade the size even as he gets bigger. I would lower your basking temp by changing out your bulb to a 40-60 watt. I would take away the night heat light. They like it dark to sleep and that is obviously raising your temp at night also. To raise the humidity, do you have alot of live plants in there or just fake? If his urates are white then he is getting enough water. If they are a little orange then he needs a little more hydration Live plants are great for humidity. I would also run a constant dripper which can help with the humidity also. Wrapping the cage is the other member stated is an option also. At 8 months you really need to cut back on the food! You could still feed every day(although some people go to every other) but maybe like 8-10 crickets with a worm or something for a treat. Also, you should be using 3 supplements Calcium w/o d3 at every feeding, calcium w/d3 two or three times, and also a multi vitamin two or three times a month. I for one do not see a problem with handling your chameleon as much as you want AS LONG AS he is not stressed by it and seems to not mind it. Lastly, chameleons do not sleep during the day and there is something not right with that if he is closing his eyes. The 3 foot uvb. - What is the wattage and who makes it? Yes, your temps are way to hot in that cage. Does he ever have his mouth open and gape trying to cool down.? Not sure if I am confused but is your UVB 12 inches away from the top of the cage or does it sit on top?

Last edited:
I'll just tackle the temps right now (I'm sleepy!).

Basking:80-85 as an adult: 85-90
Lower regions: around 70 would be good.
Night time: let it drop below 70 but not below 60.

Are my temperatures where they need to be at?
Too hot, "pssh" posted good temps.

Do I feed him enough? Too much? At 8 months he's going to start slowing down his eating habits, I would stop feeding how that many mealworms, and MAYBE offer them once a week, OR replace them completely with super worms, since they can be gutloaded and have a higher protein/chitin ratio. Once he's closer to 12 months you'll only need to feed every other day, and usually less then 10 appropriately sized crickets.

Should I be dusting my crickets? If so with what and how often?
You'll need 3 different powders, all of them phosphorus free. A Plain calcium, a calium WITH D3, and a multivitamin. The plain calcium use at every feeding (except the ones where you use the other powders), the One with D3 twice a month, and the Multivitamin twice a month. This schedule is assuming your cham gets no natural sunlight exposure.

Is my humidity a concern? If so how can I fix that issue? The humidity is a bit low for a panther, what you can do is cover 2-3 sides of the cage with a tarp or large Garbage bags, make sure its tight, and I'd also recommend adding some pathos plants to retain humidity and to allow surface area for water droplets to collect for him to drink.

Does he get enough water (with the misting schedule I have)? Adding plants and more leafs to hold droplets will make sure he's able to get water, also look into adding a Dripper for your cham, you can use the search feature to look into how to maker a dripper or what they are. To ensure your cham is getting enough water, look at his urates, when a cham goes to the bathroom he/she leaves behind 2 things, the poop, and a urate the "pee" It should be white with no yellow in it. If there's yellow in it that's usually a sign of dehydration, also, a REALY dehydrated chameleon will have sunken in eye turrets.

I often find him with one eye or both eyes closed during the day when he is
basking or soaking up UVBs is this normal or should I be concerned? (this
seems to be the only unusual behavior)
This You'll want to post in the Health section of the forums along with a filled out version of the "how to ask for help form" there isn't enough info in this thread to come up with a conclusion/solution.

Is his enclosure large enough? If not do I need a bigger one now or a bigger one in the future? you won't need to upgrade, it's big enough.

How often should I take him out? As little as possible, only during cleanings and things like that, I won't go into the nature of handling a chameleon because i could write you an essay on it, but if your curious, use the search feature, it's been covered in many threads.

I hope that helped :)

Ok, a couple of things. First the cage size is great and there is no need to ever upgrade the size even as he gets bigger. I would lower your basking temp by changing out your bulb to a 40-60 watt. I would take away the night heat light. They like it dark to sleep and that is obviously raising your temp at night also. To raise the humidity, do you have alot of live plants in there or just fake? If his urates are white then he is getting enough water. If they are a little orange then he needs a little more hydration Live plants are great for humidity. I would also run a constant dripper which can help with the humidity also. Wrapping the cage is the other member stated is an option also. At 8 months you really need to cut back on the food! You could still feed every day(although some people go to every other) but maybe like 8-10 crickets with a worm or something for a treat. Also, you should be using 3 supplements Calcium w/o d3 at every feeding, calcium w/d3 two or three times, and also a multi vitamin two or three times a month. I for one do not see a problem with handling your chameleon as much as you want AS LONG AS he is not stressed by it and seems to not mind it. Lastly, chameleons do not sleep during the day and there is something not right with that if he is closing his eyes. The 3 foot uvb. - What is the wattage and who makes it? Yes, your temps are way to hot in that cage. Does he ever have his mouth open and gape trying to cool down.? Not sure if I am confused but is your UVB 12 inches away from the top of the cage or does it sit on top?

The basking temps sort of depends on the day some days it's right under 100*F others it's just above 90*F I don't know if I need to swamp out the light because I feel if I lower the wattage I'll have a 80-90*F gradient which may sometimes be a bit too low.

I have all fake plants, used to have a live one but it was at the bottom of the cage and lacked the sunlight it needed and died.

His urates are white with a hint of yellow so I'm assuming he needs more humidity and water.

I am going to PetCo today to buy a dripper and am considering wrapping three sides of the cage in something.

I usually feed him 6-10 crickets a day or every other day on top of the *superworms* (3-6 a day) didn't mean to say mealworms. I'll cut back on the superworms to maybe 2 a day and keep it right around 8 crickets a day.

I don't think he is sleeping because sometimes it's just his right eye that is closed.

The UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 and he never opens his mouth gaping as to cool off and the UVB sits on top of the cage 12 inches away from anywhere my chameleon can walk on.

In response to metric...

I will attempt to get my temperatures right where pssh suggets.

I meant to say superworms not mealworms, but I will cut back on those.

What are the best brands for the 3 powders I need I currently have Reptivite with and without D3. But what exactly do I need?

Pathos plants? Where do I get these and how well do they do with lighting and water?

Reptivite is fine. You will need a multivitamin powder also. I use two brands and switch em up. I use miner-all indoor formula 1x a month and herptivite 1x a month. But you can use just one multi vitamin. I prefer minerall myself because ive used it for so many yrs with no issues.

2010-07-03104702.jpg

Catching some rays

2010-08-31154733.jpg

2010-07-02132220.jpg

2010-07-02154928.jpg

A little pissed

2010-08-23190226.jpg

2010-08-31154743.jpg

2010-09-07002613.jpg

Sleepy time

2010-09-13131237.jpg

A little pissed cause I brought him by the mirror