My new T. werneri pair/Tanzania Import

tucc185

:D

Just a few of these guys arrived today from Tanzania. I was fortunate enough to pick up an incredible looking pair. I mean, so healthy looking that it was hard to imagine they could be imports. No sign of dehydration, not just good body weight but actually chunky, not a scar or nick on them. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the quality of the imports who have come in lately are vastly better than the normal shaky, rough looking chams? First the T. j willingensis a while ago, then the K. boehmei, then the K. multis, and now the werneri... most of these have looked so good they could pass as CBBs. Is this a good sign for the import market? Is it possible because these animals are fetching a higher price they're being treated better throughout the chain of custody? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on this, especially anyone in the business.

Anyway, the female is very beefy and is probably gravid. I know the challenges with rearing this species' neonates but I would love to be able to raise some to adulthood and perhaps help keep this awesome species in the trade. I would very much appreciate any pointers from those who have succeeded in breeding or raising them.

Attachments

• T.werneri.jpg
    T.werneri.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 206
Thanks! I'm lookning forward to working with these guys. I was totally sold once I saw the pair of them in person. They're sleeping now but I'll try to get some decent pics soon.

I got them from Ray at Bay Area Reptiles. I highly recommend him for any unusual or montane chams- he gets stuff no one else does and takes great care of them.

The werneri are probably one of my favourite species to work with and I'd love to get a small group again. So jelly. She looks good and is probably gravid. In my experience they tend to breed once very early in the year (it corresponds with the rainy season) and give birth late in the summer. Although with her being wild caught you may want to get prepared a little in advance of that.

Good luck with the pair!
Cheers,
Trace

I'm not far from ya, good to here about Bay Area! I will be looking for some more Chams down the road.

Thanks and they look great!!!

Just a note to the mod who moved this thread- I don't think this belongs under photography. If you read the text there are specific care, breeding, and general chameleon-related questions there.

Nice pick up! I don't know how these are getting here in such good shape but I hope it continues. Recently I did get one male K. multi that looked just ok on arrival but went downhill within a day or two. He was an older adult and had a high parasite load. The replacement male was in amazing shape other than some battle scars that will be gone after a couple of sheds.

Best of luck with your breeding program with those guys.

Nice pick up!!! Ray is great to work with.

By chance did he have anymore werneri? Or anything else come in with them?

I think he has a pair or two still available. Check the KS classifieds. I got to go pick out my pair and I can say that all 3 pairs he brought in were in immaculate shape.

Nice pick up! I don't know how these are getting here in such good shape but I hope it continues. Recently I did get one male K. multi that looked just ok on arrival but went downhill within a day or two. He was an older adult and had a high parasite load. The replacement male was in amazing shape other than some battle scars that will be gone after a couple of sheds.

Best of luck with your breeding program with those guys.

Thanks, I've done pretty well with most of the montane species I've worked with so I'm hoping my luck continues. The weather here lately is perfect for these guys- humid, rainy, nice temp drops at night. I imagine they feel right at home. Sorry to hear about the multi but I'm glad you ended up getting a solid replacement. I was initially after those when they came in a few weeks back but I just missed getting them. Word on the street is that hoehnelii will be in the next import.

Pics of the male as he was out and about today:

Attachments

• T.werneri2.jpg
    T.werneri2.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 84
  • T.werneri3.jpg
    T.werneri3.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 86
Back
Top Bottom