My New Panther Boy

rummbo

Just picked up my first panther yesterday. From the look of the sire, this little guy is going to be a red barred ambilobe. He is just a little shy of 2 months old.
Super cute and friendly. I named him Morgan.
Below is his temporary set up. 60W basking bulb and UVB 5.0 bulb.
Eating fruit flies and pinheads and silkworms.

Attachments

• IMG01.jpg
    IMG01.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG01 copy.jpg
    IMG01 copy.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 212
Could just be the pic, but something looks wrong with his neck. Does he have a puffy neck?

Congrats on your new (tiny) baby. I'm attaching my blog for new keeps below. You might need to lower the watt of that basking bulb to a 25 unless it's freezing in your house. Please post some more photos of your baby. I agree with chamcapture above. His neck looks puffy.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

good observation Chamcapture. You are correct. Morgan's neck region is a bit puffy. The breeder told me to not give him any Cal D3 until the puffiness dissipates. Today is the third day since his arrival and he is looking better and better everyday. Eating and drinking great.

@ Jannb, His basking spot temp is around 85 and my house is normally on the cooler side. Do you think that its good enough? or should I put a lower power bulb to be safe.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and concerns.
I really appreciate it.

what causes that puffiness in the neck? I got a shipment of WC females in a while back and one of them had that same neck condition and later died a couple weeks after. I though she may just have been over bred and that was neck fat.

from what my breeder said. he was given D3 and probably too young to process and therefore the puffy neck. I dont intend to give him any D3 until the puffiness goes away.
Sorry to hear about your cham. Did you give your cham any D3?

Not to sound over critical but what kind of breeder sells a baby with a gular edema and says "don't give him any D3"? That is very irresponsible and setting a new owner up for failure. That baby should have stayed with the breeder or sold at a severe discount to someone with special care experience once the baby was 3-4 months old. This condition as a neonate could be the signs of a chronic condition. If it were me I would make sure to supplement very carefully. One chameleon will present with this type of intolerance to supplements while 10 others have no issue. Just my opinion. I hope things work out for the best with that little one.

Thanks reptoman for your opinion. I am keeping close watch on Morgan's puffy neck. Photos below were taken today which is 3 days after the first photo I posted. He is doing a lot better. Puffiness seemed to have all gone away. I will definitely be monitoring his supplement. Took him out to get some sun for the first time today.

Attachments

• photo copy 2.jpg
    photo copy 2.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 137
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 189
I will be posting photos of Morgan periodically. Hope his puffy neck would go away soon.

Attachments

• _MG_4783.jpg
    _MG_4783.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_4800.jpg
    IMG_4800.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 168
Honestly i think it is a bit more than d3 over dosing which is next to impossible with a 2 month old but It could be as reptoman says too. Although i have witnessed this in clutches with using d3 a couple times a month. I wonder if it is an infection of some sort or an organ issue.

Last edited:
Honestly i think it is a bit more than d3 over dosing which is next to impossible with a 2 month old but It could be as reptoman says too. Although i have witnessed this in clutches with using d3 a couple times a month. I wonder if it is an infection of some sort or an organ issue.

Not to sound over critical but what kind of breeder sells a baby with a gular edema and says "don't give him any D3"? That is very irresponsible and setting a new owner up for failure. That baby should have stayed with the breeder or sold at a severe discount to someone with special care experience once the baby was 3-4 months old. This condition as a neonate could be the signs of a chronic condition. If it were me I would make sure to supplement very carefully. One chameleon will present with this type of intolerance to supplements while 10 others have no issue. Just my opinion. I hope things work out for the best with that little one.

So I guess I am the TERRIBLE EVIL BREEDER everyone has been reading about ;)

First off, he was sold at a very reasonable price (not that that makes any difference on the health of any chameleon). I have given him a month health guarantee.

Also my gutload was flukers cricket diet, which I have seen cause this before with some babies. I have switched my gutload to fresh greens and it hasn't shown itself in any babies since.

But yeah once again guys, a few of the babies had it and it has gone away. I find it very unlikely the babies have an infection at this young age. And if anything did happen to the baby he would be refunded. Also I recommended reducing the intake of d3 not calcium altogether.

I also spent over a hour making sure he knew everything he was doing with a newborn and have been checking in to make sure the little guy doing fine. So if anyone still makes negative judgements then best to you but I guarantee I will go above and beyond many big name breeders to make sure anyone I sell a chameleon too is completely satisfied.

So I guess I am the TERRIBLE EVIL BREEDER everyone has been reading about ;)

First off, he was sold at a very reasonable price (not that that makes any difference on the health of any chameleon). I have given him a month health guarantee.

Also my gutload was flukers cricket diet, which I have seen cause this before with some babies. I have switched my gutload to fresh greens and it hasn't shown itself in any babies since.

But yeah once again guys, a few of the babies had it and it has gone away. I find it very unlikely the babies have an infection at this young age. And if anything did happen to the baby he would be refunded. Also I recommended reducing the intake of d3 not calcium altogether.

I also spent over a hour making sure he knew everything he was doing with a newborn and have been checking in to make sure the little guy doing fine. So if anyone still makes negative judgements then best to you but I guarantee I will go above and beyond many big name breeders to make sure anyone I sell a chameleon too is completely satisfied.

I don't mean to slam anybody and I never said terrible or evil. I guess I was a little shocked at the size of the baby and the picture clearly showing swollen neck and thought about the difficulty dealing with edema due to supplements in adults and would not have released one that little with issues myself. I'm sure you have discussed the possible issues at length and will back up your guarantee. Again, no intended slam on your business. Let me know if I can help out.

I don't mean to slam anybody and I never said terrible or evil. I guess I was a little shocked at the size of the baby and the picture clearly showing swollen neck and thought about the difficulty dealing with edema due to supplements in adults and would not have released one that little with issues myself. I'm sure you have discussed the possible issues at length and will back up your guarantee. Again, no intended slam on your business. Let me know if I can help out.

Oh I know man. I was just joking around. I have had this happen with the flukers cricket diet before and I appreciate peoples concern. I told jimmy about the forum and am happy people are concerned. I'm sure the little guy will be okay and if not I will make sure he is satisfied. Also he isn't that small, I have seen a lot of people sell smaller than this. The baby has the proper setup needed for his size also.

Wanted to post this photo of morgan to show his puffy neck situation.
I think its getting better? Its definitely gone down in size but its still there.
Look at the lil guy felt asleep on my finger.

Attachments

• Red_asleep.jpg
    Red_asleep.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom