my new cage and cham

jerseyrugby21

ok so i have a cage and i am a new cham owner
the cage i have is an 18x18x36 and i have a 2 month old(roughly)
i put the plant on a tub and i put a piece of plastic on it and am using it for drainage at the moment. i have a misting system put in also (mistking) that goes off for two min at every 3 hours starting at 730 and ending at 1030. i am running the lights from 8 to 8 i am using the dome for heating and the strip with a compact bulb for uvb (its a safe bulb i have done the research). and he is eating like crazy roughly 15 crickets (small) a day. also i am covering the cage with a garbage bag to keep the humidity up.(see pics)
am i doing everything right?
oh and i am also getting a proper drainage system from lll reptiles(in mail)
(posting the pictures seprate problems uploading them all :(

Attachments

• CIMG1056.jpg
    CIMG1056.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 116
i would start the misting an hour or so after the lights go on to give him a chance to warm up and stop them an hour before lights off so the the enclosure dries before bed time.

turns out that they were to big :x made them smalller and here you go

Attachments

• setup1.jpg
    setup1.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 167
  • setup2.jpg
    setup2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 112
  • setup3.jpg
    setup3.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 107
you should also get a digital thermometer to get a more accurate reading at the basking spot. the analog ones can be off by enough to cause harm to your cham. What are you using for heat in the basking area?

Fill out these questions best you can so you can get proper feedback on your set up and husbandry.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Did you get your supplements? Your cham is precious! Good luck too. Looks like a good set-up so far.

yup i have been using this spray on the crickets for every feeding (zilla calcium supplement) and i have the zoo med reptivite vitamins with d3 only given it to him once for i haven't had him for very long but am planning to put it on the crickets twice a month

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - 2 months had him a week
Handling - hardly at all
Feeding - crickets every morning and yes i am gutloading
Supplements - see above
Watering - mistking also see above
Fecal Description - brown and white and no he hasnt been tested
History - none

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen 18x18x36
Lighting - zoomed and basking dome(red) for scedual etc see above
Temperature - high 80's lowest at night 70 measument with seen meter above
Humidity - see above
Plants -yes ficus
Placement - my room and about 5 and a half feet
Location - nj

yup i have been using this spray on the crickets for every feeding (zilla calcium supplement) and i have the zoo med reptivite vitamins with d3 only given it to him once for i haven't had him for very long but am planning to put it on the crickets twice a month

I have never heard of the spray. From what I can tell the dusting powder is recommended most here and like you said the calcium D3 only twice a month. There is a multivitamin brand named "Herptivite" which is often recommended on this forum and it was also recommended I purchase vita A (vita A, given only twice a month). All of these are dusting powders.:)
My veiled was unhealthy when I got him; he's healthy and doing well now!:D

Also get a multivitamin and use that twice a month or so as well. The only other thing I would change is the misting. If your lights go out at 8:00 then most likely he is sleeping, so at 10:30 it is unnecessary to mist. Would you wanna get woken up from a deep sleep by someone spraying water on you!!!? One other thing, I know you said you researched the compact light and it is probably fine but if you notice your cham closing his eyes during the day or squinting. rubbing, etc, you might want to change that out for a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube light.

Also get a multivitamin and use that twice a month or so as well. The only other thing I would change is the misting. If your lights go out at 8:00 then most likely he is sleeping, so at 10:30 it is unnecessary to mist. Would you wanna get woken up from a deep sleep by someone spraying water on you!!!? One other thing, I know you said you researched the compact light and it is probably fine but if you notice your cham closing his eyes during the day or squinting. rubbing, etc, you might want to change that out for a Reptisun 5.0 linear tube light.

ok sounds good and yes very true about the misting i was just thinking of it as it rains at night in there natural habitat and just trying to make it seem more at home lol

ok sounds good and yes very true about the misting i was just thinking of it as it rains at night in there natural habitat and just trying to make it seem more at home lol

i know exactly what you are saying but if he doesn't have to get rained on he would probably like that better!!!lol

Last edited:
From the research ive fine you are supposed to dust calcium on crickets everyday for a baby veiled chameleon since this is when they growing and multivitamin 2-3 times a week . When they adults then you can reduce that to 2-3 times with calcium and multivitamin 2-3 times a month .

From the research ive fine you are supposed to dust calcium on crickets everyday for a baby veiled chameleon since this is when they growing and multivitamin 2-3 times a week . When they adults then you can reduce that to 2-3 times with calcium and multivitamin 2-3 times a month .

i heard it was 5-6 months u cutback on the d3 / multivita
but everyone does it dif depending on thier cham and health and other stuff

but my guy isnt that old so i still got plenty of time to read up on more.

Back
Top Bottom