My New "Big-Boy" Cage!! :)

That's good information.

I have been reading these threads here for the last 4 days!! And I still don't have a good answer on which screen to go with...

1) Aluminum/Metal: will wear off the toes

2) Fiberglass: crickets will chew through

3) Pastic: not strong enoug to hang stuff

4) Too big holes: crickets go through

I am dying to start building but this decision making is terrible!!!

Roberto.

Ok Mesik, here are my two cents for your 4 issues.
1. If you use that pet screen for all of your cage, use the metal on top. Just keep in mind that it will heat up under your lamp and sometimes it reflects too much. My cham doesn't really have a way to get up on top to climb upside down on it.

2. I haven't had a problem with crickets chewing through the petscreen stuff. Typically if you use a little cup feeder your cham will get them before they have a chance.

3. I designed my cage so that I have many areas to hang stuff on. The support beams and back wall of the cage are where everything is attached. Vines are only tied to the screen with fishing line to hold them in place so I don't have to reset them every time I decide to clean his cage.

4. Crickets won't usually get through 1/8 mesh. Oddly enough though, I still find crickets that have escaped from my cage. They must be finding small gaps in the mesh where its stapled down. Luckily I rarely find them more than two feet from my cage and they are ALWAYS dead.

Hopefully that helps a little!

Thanks Dave!! That did help tons! It is so much info needed in the begining!!! I soak up everything I can.

I am trying to avoid a death for something simple that I just didn't know...

Thanks once more.

Roberto.

I also have never experienced crickets chewing through the fiberglass screen...yet. I AM still using small crickets, and I suppose that could change as the crickets get larger, but I rarely have crickets roaming free in the cage unless I drop one and my cham doesn't snatch it up before it drops to the bottom of the cage or scurries away. I need to figure something out for a cup-feeder, that would make his cage better...and I wouldn't have to stand there and hand feed him all of his crickets. Today he ate 21 small crickets, 3 silkworms and some phoenix worms!! He's a growing boy :)

Wow!! That is a lot of food!!!!

I am going to get my 1st cham in mid October, at a local show here in MI... I am very excited for it.

I am drafting my cage (will be a 30X30X48 - simple one) and choosing the screen and misting system. Also trying to learn the schedules and twitches.

Have you seen any automatic feeder? Like if you leave for two weeks, what do you do for food?

Thanks again for sharing!!

Roberto.

Have you seen any automatic feeder? Like if you leave for two weeks, what do you do for food?

Roberto.

A really nice neighbor who doesn't mind live feeding! lol

But seriously, I'd like to know what people say about this just in case this need ever arises. Misting and water isn't an issue since those are readily available. But cricket feeding and worm feeding would be.

I had some 3/4" crickets chew through the bottom of my feeder cup...it HAD fiberglass screen on it.....not anymore. I am just glad the roaches I had in there didnt get out that way!

Back
Top Bottom