My new adventure:)

Babybreath_87

I purchased a male veiled chameleon about 3 weeks ago. The pet store figured he was about 7 months old when I purchased. I owned bearded dragons before and also have a Nelson’s milksnake. All three have such different care!! I have read and read and have done so much research and still feel lost lol. Marble seems healthy for the most part. He was dehydrated and had a bit of difficulty completing his shed but I think we have resolved this. He still has a tiny tiny speck of skin on the bridge of his nose by his eye that does not want to come off. I have been able to lightly brush his skin and some flakes off but not all. I’m struggling to keep humidity constant. Temps seem ok. I did notice him yesterday basking with his mouth open so I raised his light ( never seemed to be an issue before but has not done it today yet) I’m using fake plants as I am horrible with live plants. I have a reptifogger which I run periodically and a reptirain that I set to spray 15 seconds every three hours( or enclosure gets drenched)i also mist 3-5 times a day. I covered 2.5 sides of his 16x16x30 screened enclosure which seems to help the humidity but still concerned about leaving enough ventilation. He eats well. I dust crickets with calcium skip a day of dusting,dust with vitamins, skip a day and then calcium again. He has not shown interest in vegetation yet but working on it. I know he needs a larger enclosure soon. Not sure if I’m missing anything! Just want my new baby to be healthy:)

Attachments

• A022CA77-8F86-4498-A08E-5D1C3DA0A7DE.jpeg
    A022CA77-8F86-4498-A08E-5D1C3DA0A7DE.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 1921CF09-95B7-4871-B650-CDF9CF7636F6.jpeg
    1921CF09-95B7-4871-B650-CDF9CF7636F6.jpeg
    432.8 KB · Views: 89
Congrats on the new chameleon! Sounds like you're open to feedback, so I'll provide it down below. Stay tuned :)

At his age, that enclosure is way too small. He should be moved to an adult-sized 2x2x4' enclosure ASAP.

Are you using a compact UVB bulb? If so, this is not good enough for chameleons and you will want to switch it out for a T5 HO linear UVB bulb as soon as possible.

Okay so I have a lot of feedback which can be intimidating, but take it line by line and ask any questions you need to. I've also asked additional questions so please answer those. I included links to relevant videos I've made you might find helpful to better understand chameleon husbandry.

He was dehydrated You can tell if a cham is hydrated/dehydrated by the color of their urates (the white part of chameleon poop) and sunken eyes.

…and had a bit of difficulty completing his shed but I think we have resolved this. He still has a tiny tiny speck of skin on the bridge of his nose by his eye that does not want to come off. I have been able to lightly brush his skin and some flakes off but not all. Chameleons are dry shedders so we don't need to add any additional water or humidity. They should not need any assistance shedding.

I’m struggling to keep humidity constant. What are your current humidity levels?

Temps seem ok. I did notice him yesterday basking with his mouth open so I raised his light ( never seemed to be an issue before but has not done it today yet) What are the basking temps and ambient temps?

I’m using fake plants as I am horrible with live plants. Live plants are great way to add humidity. I'd recommend a pothos plant since they are super hardy and are difficult to kill.

I have a reptifogger which I run periodically and a reptirain that I set to spray 15 seconds every three hours( or enclosure gets drenched)i also mist 3-5 times a day. I'd try to mist longer and less frequently. See if you can mist twice a day for 3-5 minutes and still maintain the humidity levels you need. Too much misting can keep the enclosure moist and be a perfect breeding ground for bacteria leading to upper respiratory infections.

I covered 2.5 sides of his 16x16x30 screened enclosure which seems to help the humidity but still concerned about leaving enough ventilation. I know he needs a larger enclosure soon. Covering the sides should be fine. I'd really suggest adding live plants if humidity is a problem. You're right that he needs a bigger enclosures. He'll need a 24x24x48 ASAP. He is too big for that enclosure.

He eats well. I dust crickets with calcium skip a day of dusting,dust with vitamins, skip a day and then calcium again. What kind of calcium? Without D3 or with D3? What kind of multivitamin?

What are you using for gutload? How many crickets are you feeding? Are you feeding any other bugs?

How to gutload video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJFVKeyfpRE

He has not shown interest in vegetation yet but working on it. It's not a big deal if he is not eating veggies. Not all veileds do.

Some additional feedback:
UVB - You didn't ask about this, but you actually have improper UVB for a chameleon. He is going to need a T5 HO linear UVB. The compact bulb you have for him right now does not provide enough UVB for him which will lead to metabolic bone disease which can be fatal so it needs to be replaced ASAP.

To start: I was intending on getting the linear uvb light when I get the larger enclosure asap. I have been giving him 10-15 crickets a day and using reproving with d3 and repticalcium without d3. I have fed him a horned worm for a treat and was going to feed a couple meal worms?? (Feedback please)
Ambient temps is about 73 at night goes lowest I’ve seen 66. Basking temp says 77 at the branch right now( digital probe not sure how accurate because when I measure outer top of screen it was 110?..) Humidity on manual on the ground of enclosure says 60 the center on manual says 30 but my digital hung in center of enclosure says 20... I sprayed and then digital went up to 35 as ms not for long it was back down to 22... Saw him drink a bunch of water this morning also:) not sure if I’m pic you can see the little skin by his”eyebrow” concerning??

Attachments

• B47E56ED-42C6-4748-BE25-8834F13393E6.jpeg
    B47E56ED-42C6-4748-BE25-8834F13393E6.jpeg
    419.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 5927C4F0-252F-4948-8101-EF94FD74F3EA.jpeg
    5927C4F0-252F-4948-8101-EF94FD74F3EA.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 60
I’m wishing right now that I did not waste my money on what the pet store recommended I really do think if there are any problems it’s to do with cage size.... basking temps still seem low to me but he was basking with his mouth open. Not sure what was going on there. Basking is currently reading 84... but I had to lower light back onto enclosure to get that reading...

When he breathes, does it make any sound? Popping/bubbling noises?

If you dont think your temperature probe is accurate, get a new one. Too much heat can also cause them to gape.

No sounds when breathing... nose not pointed in air and basking temp about 82... I know I need a larger enclosure but could that really be the reason? My biggest question- will they sleep “normally” if there is something wrong?

No sounds when breathing... nose not pointed in air and basking temp about 82... I know I need a larger enclosure but could that really be the reason? My biggest question- will they sleep “normally” if there is something wrong?
do you see any saliva when he gapes his mouth open ? or clogged nostrils ?

His nostrils seem good. Yesterday when I looked in his mouth I saw a little saliva on his younger but nothing today... started yesterday only did this once today after I lowered lights back on screen top(raised it yesterday thinking may be hot) I raised it again and he seems to have stopped but it’s only been a few minutes... watching him closely... concerned basking is not hot enough ... can’t get a good read because prove thermometer and he’s stressed so I don’t want to do any more poking around than needed.

Back
Top Bottom