My male panther is shying away from new female after fall

Chamnoob52

Hi, I have a 1 1/2 old male panther cham that's healthy, I recieved a 8 month old female that was on a long traveling drive with me to get home. Well she was a little stressed when I put her in my XXL screen cage and my sleeping male (it was late when we made it home 1am) woke up & immediately tried mating with her so I removed her and was on my way to put her in a separate cage so she wouldn't get too stressed after the drive she had been through when I heard my male fall from 1 1/2 feet off the branch. I waited a minute before helping him out and he climbed back on his live plant branches. Morning came and he seems fine and active WITH COLOR & did not notice any bruises, well I re-introduced the female to the cage and immediately my male turns extremely dark colored and is shying away in the corner of the cage low close to the floor as If hes scared of her. My question is what could be wrong now? He initially was all over her trying to mate now he doesn't want to be around her. Thank you for your time!

Yeah, I'm pretty new to this & did see females should be 1 year before breeding. She is receptive & he was extremely happy to see her in there initial meeting. I got her from a good friend that has been involved with chameleons for a very long time and was his suggestion to put her in there & get some babys. I'm having second thoughts about that if theres any kinda harm that will happen to her in doing so.I'm still kinda scratching my head on why my male seems to be afraid & my only guess is hes associating the fall to her possibly. Thanks you guys for your feed back!!

Yeah, I'm pretty new to this & did see females should be 1 year before breeding. She is receptive & he was extremely happy to see her in there initial meeting. I got her from a good friend that has been involved with chameleons for a very long time and was his suggestion to put her in there & get some babys. I'm having second thoughts about that if theres any kinda harm that will happen to her in doing so.I'm still kinda scratching my head on why my male seems to be afraid & my only guess is hes associating the fall to her possibly. Thanks you guys for your feed back!!
My friend that gave her to me is thinking he might still be getting over his fall & possibly is in some pain. I did check for bruises (dark or black spots) & there are non. Hes using all his limbs & has good grip. As far as putting them together he reassured me that it is fine to breed her & that she is not 8 months old she is just shy of a year old( 11 months) & she is READY showing color.

So not to be rude... but if you are going off of everything your friend is assuring you of then why ask for help here?

We see people here that jump into breeding without the knowledge that goes with it. This does not tend to turn out well for the chams or the babies. It is not as simple as breeding dogs... Some Males will not go for a female. Some females want nothing to do with the male. Some males can be very aggressive and hurt the female.

Just jumping into breeding them when she has not even had time to recover from the stress of a relocation and new environment is kinda crappy to do to her. I really think you should put in some more research about the whole process from mating to incubation. To what you have to provide to newly hatched babies. And the care required to ensure healthy babies until they can be sold at 3-4 months old. Then there is finding people that are willing to buy from someone that has no breeding history. Most everyone here would not even think about buying from an unknown breeder without references.

Again not trying to be rude just giving you more to think about before you jump headfirst into this.

So not to be rude... but if you are going off of everything your friend is assuring you of then why ask for help here?

We see people here that jump into breeding without the knowledge that goes with it. This does not tend to turn out well for the chams or the babies. It is not as simple as breeding dogs... Some Males will not go for a female. Some females want nothing to do with the male. Some males can be very aggressive and hurt the female.

Just jumping into breeding them when she has not even had time to recover from the stress of a relocation and new environment is kinda crappy to do to her. I really think you should put in some more research about the whole process from mating to incubation. To what you have to provide to newly hatched babies. And the care required to ensure healthy babies until they can be sold at 3-4 months old. Then there is finding people that are willing to buy from someone that has no breeding history. Most everyone here would not even think about buying from an unknown breeder without references.

Again not trying to be rude just giving you more to think about before you jump headfirst into this.
Reason for being on here is to get different views & opinions , what my friend reassured me of is only of her age & safety factor of breeding her is all. It's funny that through all the messages so far no one has responded to the MAIN issue, lol & have only given what I consider negative non related comments to do more research on breeding. It's nice to get advice & different opinions & I do appreciate it but if we can focus on the issue & if anyone has had a similar scenario I would love to hear back. & I'm not a seller & do not plan on selling, this is just a hobby with family. Thanks again

Reason for being on here is to get different views & opinions , what my friend reassured me of is only of her age & safety factor of breeding her is all. It's funny that through all the messages so far no one has responded to the MAIN issue, lol & have only given what I consider negative non related comments to do more research on breeding. It's nice to get advice & different opinions & I do appreciate it but if we can focus on the issue & if anyone has had a similar scenario I would love to hear back. & I'm not a seller & do not plan on selling, this is just a hobby with family. Thanks again
Well if he fell while being overly excited about her he may have gotten injured. He may be showing no interest because he is hurt. Just because there is not bruising showing does not mean it is not there. Give him some time to bounce back.

And I am sorry you are taking what is being said as negative... There are a lot of ins and outs to breeding and incubating eggs. Even just the specifics on how to remove the eggs once she has laid them. Then you have to consider that most lay 20 eggs or more. So you will have tons of little babies to care for. This is all I will say moving forward.

The search function on the forum is a great way to find additional info should you want to know more specifics to breeding... Good luck with your new girl.

I do not need advice on incubation,how to raise babys, how old they need to be before selling, just wondering- my boy liked her-fell- now he seems stressed when he see her when initially like her & she liked him

I just included my thoughts on why he has backed off from her... I am done giving any more advice on breeding or anything else. As I said good luck to you with your venture.

I do not need advice on incubation,how to raise babys, how old they need to be before selling, just wondering- my boy liked her-fell- now he seems stressed when he see her when initially like her & she liked him
I'll give him some time & keep them separated, thank you

First off at 1:00 a.m. I would not bother my chams, in nature they sleep at night, second I would let your female get used to her new environment, that could be a few weeks, you will know when she is, she will be comfortable and have found her sleep and basking spot, 3rd she has to be receptive, her receptive colors are very obvious

But you did need to be told your female is too young to breed and not just throw her in your male's enclosure after a long car ride where you admitted she was already stressed from. So yeah, there's that....

Back
Top Bottom