My male is trying to scratch the net underneath the UVB light

Erim23

Hi, I have a 4 months old male veiled chamaleon, and he is really active and fine but recently he has been trying to " scratch the roof of his net terrarium, it seems like he is trying to get to the UVB light...

Is this normal? I dont know what to do, and he is doing this a couple of times a day.

Thanks for your respons ! :)

Please post pictures of your chameleon and the enclosure. Maybe he needs more vines and branches to climb on.

Yah. What Jannb said. They can do this a lot when they are really young, but usually stop doing it at about your chams age. So like Jannb said it could be your enclosure can we take a peak?

Please post pictures of your chameleon and the enclosure. Maybe he needs more vines and branches to climb on.

This is his home, and the plant thats outside on the second pic is inside is enclosure aswell. I bought some vines from ebay and still waiting, so when they come he will have some more climbing space.

Attachments

• IMAG0377.jpg
    IMAG0377.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMAG0378.jpg
    IMAG0378.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 166
The only thing I was going to suggest was more vines, but you're taking care of that so looks ok to me. As long as he isn't burning himself I wouldn't worry about it too much he will probably grow out of it soon. :)

If the money tree is usually in the cage and you are getting more vines, then the enclosure itself is sound. If it were me, I would get UVB test meter and see if the amount penetrating the mesh is sufficient enough for your little guy.

Thanks guys!

I will get that UVB test meter, I'm sure I saw it at the pet store. What should the meter say, I mean whats a good result?

For a Veiled, you will want the meter to read 60- 80 uw/cm2 based on charts provided at Light Your Reptiles. That's for the upper portion of the enclosure.

Approximate price for Solarmeter 6.2 is $200 on Amazon. With lamps costing upwards of $25. and guessing at the exposures we are getting. I would say that is a pretty good investment for peace of mind.
So many factors about the distance from the lamp to the exposure spot and any screen, glass or acrylic the light has to go through.as well as reflectors. How can you factor all the variables accurately?
Look at the numbers; 5 years using (x) five lamps minimum (=) well over $250.
If you have more than one habitat using these lamps I think you are foolish not to have a meter.
Any other sources with better prices on meters are greatly appreciated. Also opinions on different makers and styles of meters.
I am hopping for a fresh discussion about lamps as well since the new CFL coil types have been improved.
Listening, Greg

Approximate price for Solarmeter 6.2 is $200 on Amazon. With lamps costing upwards of $25. and guessing at the exposures we are getting. I would say that is a pretty good investment for peace of mind.
So many factors about the distance from the lamp to the exposure spot and any screen, glass or acrylic the light has to go through.as well as reflectors. How can you factor all the variables accurately?
Look at the numbers; 5 years using (x) five lamps minimum (=) well over $250.
If you have more than one habitat using these lamps I think you are foolish not to have a meter.
Any other sources with better prices on meters are greatly appreciated. Also opinions on different makers and styles of meters.
I am hopping for a fresh discussion about lamps as well since the new CFL coil types have been improved.
Listening, Greg

Back
Top Bottom