My little Oshi

AMGChams

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham, Male 4 to 5 months old. Looks like he is only 3 months old though, very small. How long has it been in your care?- 3 months
Handling - rarely
Feeding - Crickets smal 1/4 size, Gutloaded with dry store bought fulkers with added veggies and fruit. I place 6 to 12 in his cage daily but he is not eating.(one of the problems)
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? -I have the calcium with out D3 daily and multi viti and calcium with D3 once a month.
Watering - mist 2 to 3 times a day with a drip going all day. Do not notice him drinking (another problem)
Fecal Description - Brown with a yellowish urate (yes I know he is dehydrated again part of the problem)
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? - no but he has a vet appointment tomorrow and plan to have him tested.
History - Previously housed with a Female Veiled which is about 1 month older than him.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 Screen cage from DIY
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 CFL (newer bulb) and a low wattage basking bulb
Temperature - Cage floor is in the low 70's Basking spot 82 to 85 degrees. Night time temps drob to mid 60's. Use a Zoo Med digital to measure these temps.
Humidity - 50% to 60% use a zoo med gauge
Plants - Pathos
Placement - Cage is located in our laundry room area away from main traffic placed on top of a end table
Location - Florida, Central
Current Problem - Little man is not eating or drinking

Some back ground --- First off he is to be seen tomorrow at the Vet
He used to be housed with the Female veiled which is about a month older than he and she is doing great and growing quickly. (she has pretty much the same cage and set up as he does) ever since I moved him into his own cage, over a month ago, his appitite has gone down hill and I have honestly not seen him eat or drink for the past 4 or 5 days. I don't know if the crickets are being consumed by him or if they are hiding under the rocks of his plant. But I do know that his belly seems a little bloted so that is why I am taking him to the Vet. I think he might have some parasites and it might be the cause.
I do know that while he was in the same cage as the female he was doing great and eating so I am a bit confused because other than being by his self every thing is the same. Any suggestions would be great. You all have always been so helpful.

Sorry at work and don't have any current photos.

No but if you could please PM me with his info. There is an exotic vet near where I live but I don't know how much he knows about chams so any info you can give me on Dr. Alfonso would be very much apperciated.

Thank you so much!! If I feel as if this vet I go to tomorrow doesn't know his you know what from you know what I will be off to see Dr. Alfonso.

Dr Alfonso is away, and wont be back until Friday the 13th. see if you can get an apointment for Saturday.

Harry

Sat. he'll be at the reptile show and you can bring him there and a fresh poop for a $10.00 fecal. My email read out of town until the 13th. You can call the office....everyone else is there. :)

Sat. he'll be at the reptile show and you can bring him there and a fresh poop for a $10.00 fecal. My email read out of town until the 13th. You can call the office....everyone else is there. :)

you gata love the $10 fecals. :D
I think I'm moving to Florida for just this reason alone. :p

Harry

Good to know thank you for the info. I will do that.

question regarding hydration

I have been placing him in the shower to hydrate him but it has not seem to help. I am some what wary of trying to use a syringe and water to some what force feed him water. Any one have any suggestions. Sorry I am at work and just reading the boards and wanting to go home to try and care for him.

I use a plastic pipette to give mine water - just trickle it drop by drop on the end of his snout/mouth. It make take a while before he ralises what it is. Tommy will drink 2 or 3 pipette falls in one go, bless him! I used to use a needle-less syringe but it wasn't great to control the drops! They will take what they want - it's far less dangerous than just forcing the water into their mouths - there's always a risk that it'll go into their lungs with force watering.

I use a plastic pipette to give mine water - just trickle it drop by drop on the end of his snout/mouth. It make take a while before he ralises what it is. Tommy will drink 2 or 3 pipette falls in one go, bless him! I used to use a needle-less syringe but it wasn't great to control the drops! They will take what they want - it's far less dangerous than just forcing the water into their mouths - there's always a risk that it'll go into their lungs with force watering.

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to find some where to get a pipette or dropper.

With my first cham I had beither - I used a new hamster drinking bottle and squeezed it to get drops out - made my arm ache with holding it up and squeezing it though! It worked when I had nothing else though!

I have been placing him in the shower to hydrate him but it has not seem to help. I am some what wary of trying to use a syringe and water to some what force feed him water. Any one have any suggestions. Sorry I am at work and just reading the boards and wanting to go home to try and care for him.

Get some hornworms and inject them with the water, then feed off :)

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 18x18x36 Screen cage from DIY
Lighting - Reptisun 5.0 CFL (newer bulb) and a low wattage basking bulb
Temperature - Cage floor is in the low 70's Basking spot 82 to 85 degrees. Night time temps drob to mid 60's. Use a Zoo Med digital to measure these temps.
Humidity - 50% to 60% use a zoo med gauge
Plants - Pathos

I am sorry to hear your little guy is not eating. I was wondering about your Reptisun 5.0 CFL bulb (coil bulb??) Was this bulb new to his cage after he moved out of the girls cage??

Some CFL bulb have been found to put out too much unnatural UV and be harmful. The studies I have read said it affects the chameleons eyes. But I can imagine that symptoms might show up in different ways.

Most of us use the reptisun 5.0 tube light because we don't trust the CFL bulbs.

If there is a connection at the time he stopped eating and the time he was put under a new CFL bulb.. that is something I'd look into

I will look into that. I have the light at the recomended distance for the burn in period and I am positive that its one of the newer bulbs but I will be changing over to the tube as soon as I receive it in the mail.

I just re-read the post by Dave Weldon in regards to the CFL Bulbs and I will again make sure I have the approprate distance from the bulb to the basking spot but I agree as soon as I receive the Tube bulb its getting replaced. I just hope the best for my little Oshi.

Update on Oshi

Fecal came back negitave. The vet gave him some liquids, vit b, calcium and the new bulb came in so I have that up and running. He seems to look like he is doing better. I had him out in the sun for about an hour yesterday. Still have yet to see him eat or drink though there is fresh poo in the cage so I assume he is eating when I am not looking. Thank you all for all your help and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom