My latest build progress

SliK JiM

Well, I made a start on it the weekend just gone, so I thought I'd share some pics!

The plan:

Enclosure.png

This part of the enclosure is going to be 2' x 2' x 5', and I'm going to make a base like my other build which will add another 1.5' to the bottom! :D

Anyway:

DSCN0405.jpg

DSCN0406.jpg

DSCN0422.jpg

DSCN0423.jpg

After the teak oil:

DSCN0426.jpg

Late night varnishing:

DSCN0531.jpg

DSCN0540.jpg

DSCN0545.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

DSCN0559.jpg

As you will notice, there isn't any mesh in it yet as I wanted to get it all built and lined up correctly first as it's hard to use clamps to hold it in place when the mesh is in. I should have it all finished this weekend, with the mesh and base etc, but it wont be ready for use for a few weeks as I need to touch up some of the varnishing (I've added bits and pieces so I need to seal them too!)

So, what do you all think?

awesome! that's going to be a great build. thanks for sharing pics step by step. it helps us less handy people get an idea of how to do it :D

awesome! that's going to be a great build. thanks for sharing pics step by step. it helps us less handy people get an idea of how to do it :D

You better wait till after the weekend then! I should have a complete step by step by then! :D I have taken something like 60 pictures to get to where I am atm! :eek: I'm hoping to make it so that anyone can do it, but I do have a few tools that most people might not!

You better wait till after the weekend then! I should have a complete step by step by then! :D I have taken something like 60 pictures to get to where I am atm! :eek: I'm hoping to make it so that anyone can do it, but I do have a few tools that most people might not!

Nice! seriously great of you to do this! can't wait.

Ok, I have a bad back. So.....

If I fly you in, take you out to the city for some fun, treat you to some of the best eats in the city and brooklyn, would ya come over and build me a setup for 3 quads?
I'll toss in a first hatchling and 25 silkies. LoL

Great job you did so far.

Harry

Cheers mate! I'm really looking forward to getting it finished this weekend so that it'll all be ready for use next weekend! Although, till my blue bar arrives, it's gonna stay outside for Dante at the weekends!

Well, I was dealt a bit of a blow just now! Just took the enclosure apart to add the mesh in.... and I dont have enough! The roll was meant to be 1.2m wide but it's only 0.97m wide so, a slightly angry phone call later I'll be getting some new stuff sent out tomorrow! But, that does mean the enclosure wont be finished till next week!

But, in slightly better news, I've made a good start on the base for it (the first coat of varnish is drying), so here's are some pics!

The plan:
Base.png

Cutting the base:
DSCN0560.jpg

Cutting the arris rail to join the base and the dies together:
DSCN0563.jpg

Bulding the base piece:
DSCN0564.jpg

DSCN0566.jpg

DSCN0567.jpg

Making the sides:
DSCN0570.jpg

Putting the sides on:
DSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0573.jpg

The inner rim and joining piece (the will hold the top and the base together)
DSCN0574.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0576.jpg

After teak oil and 1st varnishing:
DSCN0578.jpg

Once the varnish has dried I'll add my waterproofing layer to the box and fix it all together. I wont plant it till next week as I need the varnish to have cured properly.

In other news, I did put these little toggle locks of the main enclosure bit and I'm very impressed with them:
DSCN0577.jpg

I'll get another coat of varnish on later and hopefully should get it waterproofed today, so watch this space! :D

It's really coming out so beautifully. What do you do for a living that you have that awesome software? You must do something with building/construction.

:eek: mate your showing me up lol its looking great so far mate, shame about the mesh i really cant wait to see this finished! makes me wana make another one too lol

atb

john

It's really coming out so beautifully. What do you do for a living that you have that awesome software? You must do something with building/construction.

Umm, actually I'm training to be a chartered accountant! I got the software when I was at uni as I took part in an engineering scheme working with local schools! Funny thing is, I did a maths degree! Lol!

It's coming along great so far! The mesh arrived today, but I'm away with work all week so I won't get any done till the weekend! I should have it done this weekend though!

this cage looks great so far! are you going to be putting all the details into a PDF like the last one?
This one is just the type im looking for! ; )

this cage looks great so far! are you going to be putting all the details into a PDF like the last one?
This one is just the type im looking for! ; )

Indeed I will! :D Are there any bits is particular you want? This guide should have a lot more details about the cage buildin that the past but if there's stuff in particular you want me to include let me know!

Back
Top Bottom