My last question

doaflip21

I currently have my jackson in a glass tank with a wired enclosure attached to the top. He just came to his home yesterday morning, but after my mother mentioned my new reptile to her good friend I was offered a 75 gallon 4ft specialized chameleon enclosure.

Would another switch of environment be detrimentally stressful to my new buddy?

Sorry for being such a nuisance on these forums...

I currently have my jackson in a glass tank with a wired enclosure attached to the top. He just came to his home yesterday morning, but after my mother mentioned my new reptile to her good friend I was offered a 75 gallon 4ft specialized chameleon enclosure.

Would another switch of environment be detrimentally stressful to my new buddy?

Well, It could be stressful. But can you maintain high humidity in an all screen enclosure? How old is this chameleon?

Sorry for being such a nuisance on these forums...

Dont worry. Asking questions is the fastest way to learn something new!

Hope this helps!

-Steve

Every time you stick you hand in the enclosure or remove the top you are giving him a little stress. (ie removing another cage from the top)

Set the up screen cage in a low traffic area of the floor and plant it heavily with real plants. If you mist it at least two times a day for 2-5 at a time you should not have a problem keeping up the humidity. Put a humidity gauge in the cage and if you still have a problem you can keep a humidifier in the room (but most of the humidity should come from misting).

As for glass vs screen- where is your location (climate)

If this is a used cage: disinfect and clean it thoroughly!

Keep asking questions (ignore snootier members ;))

You should not have a problem keeping up the humidity.

Jacksons Chameleons are montaine, and need higher humidity than say, a veiled.

I would put up plexiglass or something, to keep a good humidity.

Jacksons Chameleons are montaine, and need higher humidity than say, a veiled.

I would put up plexiglass or something, to keep a good humidity.

I keep montane with no problem in screen, it's just a question of husbandry and plants. With an Exo Terra Setup I would say go for it but he is using a hamster cage on top of a fish tank. :(

Thanks Chameleon and Dragon.. I was starting to think that I was getting on everyone's nerves lol.

I'm from CT where we have cold dry winters and hot humid summers... which will probably make it annoying to control temp and humidity.

But you guys think that a switch will be for the better? He looks really happy in this arrangement and I feel like he likes to go to the bottom for more heat and humidity while he will still spend most of the day up in the hamster canopy almost touching the ceiling feeling like the king. This morning the screened section was at around 50% humidity while the glass was around 60-65% which is why I think he was hanging out in the glassed in section with all of the live plants.

The temp and humidity ranges seem to be an advantage with this set up.
(note: the set up really isn't as scrappy as it sounds, I put a lot of work into it and probably looks as legitimate as most hand made set ups)

However, I definitely do worry about stressing him out every time I clean the tank, I figured that I could simply take off the hamster section while he was in it and put it on a separate table with a light over it, but it makes sense that this would freak him out.

I have work for all of today and tonight so I will be unable to grab the new enclosure today, but tomorrow I will probably pick it up.

I feel as if this enclosure will be more difficult to keep humidity and temps up to par although he will have a lot more space to climb around and the enclosure will be easier to clean.

I also feel bad about switching him into a 3rd jungle in one week but I think it may be better for his over all health.

I'm going to get the new enclosure tomorrow regardless of it will be his new home or not (even though I think it may be). I'm going to look at what has to be done and if I will even have space in my secluded bed room. I WISH I had found out about the new enclosure BEFORE I got my chameleon!
But can anyone please give me advice? You guys have been really great with helping me figure all of this out!

Oh, and a random question...
When I mist his cage with warm water he turns blackish colored and kinda turns his back toward me.
Am I pissing him off or is he just trying to take in the warm mist?
I've just been spraying around him instead of on him but I was just curious.

Thanks again everyone:D

I'd think I'd go for the screen cage, and then cover a couple sides or even three sides with plastic or plexi, to help retain humidity during your dry season. You might also invest in a small humidifier for the room he is in. Live plants and of course plenty of misting will help too :)

Back
Top Bottom