My Jacksons Chameleons horns are growing crooked

JacksonAction

Hi fellow Chameleon lovers!
My Jacksonii's horns are crooked and the two top horns look like they may cross in the future. Note* I bought my Jacksonii from a pet store and not from a breeder. Also I am a first time Chameleon care taker, I've attached pictures of my husbandry. I have my humidity at at about 50-70% all day and 90-100% at night. i gut load my feeders and dust with calcium with out vitamin D and bee pollen. I'm misting with a mist king 4 times a day and fogging with a cool ultra sonic humidifier at night. I run a small fan all day for circulation. I have a heat lamp with a 75w heat bulb at a 90 degrees basking on top with temperature gradients as you gert lower in the cage, leds for the plants and a T5 for the UVB.
I've had my Jackson from about 4 months now and i just had my first shed, he eats well and seems very comfortable in his cage. no issues but i do see the horns starting to cross. What are my options?? Do I leave it be?? Also the front center horn has a deformity, does anyone know what can cause this? Its looked like that since i got him from the pet store.

Attachments

• 1vns4WfPQjCDJcVfvTXJPA.jpg
    1vns4WfPQjCDJcVfvTXJPA.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 148
  • rAUEq+t1RmeKLooKQzvlTg.jpg
    rAUEq+t1RmeKLooKQzvlTg.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 106
  • iOKR9NKcQbSJOOzR7wZaAA.jpg
    iOKR9NKcQbSJOOzR7wZaAA.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 134
  • PPQxEqvbSw6JSTnZmtPVmQ.jpg
    PPQxEqvbSw6JSTnZmtPVmQ.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 120
I've seen this in a lot of Jackson's to some degree. I don't know if it will actually cause any problems.
There is a thread here somewhere on how someone was able to make braces to straighten the horns. I'll see if I can find it.

@JacksJill do you believe this has to do with the differencea between the Kenyan and Hawaiian Jackson's? Meaning their environments being different. Or do you believe this to be a genetic possible inbreeding issue within the Hawaiian lines?

These are a couple of better pictures to show the deformities of the horn. I’m more concern about the left horn crossing the center horn, or if the horns do cross to a point where one horn is pushing against the other and if that would be painful for him. I am new to chameleons and am very worried

Attachments

• 9FC9AA11-A293-438A-8EC9-D422F39CE345.jpeg
    9FC9AA11-A293-438A-8EC9-D422F39CE345.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 87090A5F-AAF2-499D-B466-7E8767D48B20.jpeg
    87090A5F-AAF2-499D-B466-7E8767D48B20.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 97
I suspect a couple of causes but it is pure guess work on my part. My avatar's mother was a Kenyan import of the medium sized species and you can see his rostral horn curves up. I got him from a keeper on here who took great care of her chameleons. It did grow straighter as he got older. He came from a state with higher humidity and moved to one where daytime humidity was a struggle. I'm hoping as we better manage our humidity levels, low daytime very high night, that we see less malformations of the horns. As for the Hawaiian xanths they have inbreeding and a humid environment working against them.
The OP rostral horn looks like it may have been injured at some point. I don't think the horns touching or growing against each other will hurt but I don't know that for sure. If you look at Jackson's pictures you will see all sorts of horn defects on otherwise thriving animals.

Back
Top Bottom