Project straight horn!

Edward Kim

Established Member
Had a clutch of C. meru's ~ a year ago. All of them sold but one, due to a bent nostral horn (possibly caused by an improper shed). I would have let the horn grow out naturally, but noticed that it was bending toward the left horn. So I fashioned a plastic brace that essentially stressed the horn straight. Interestingly it work.

Attachments

• DSC00996.jpg
    DSC00996.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 402
  • DSC00999.jpg
    DSC00999.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 392
  • DSC01005.jpg
    DSC01005.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 407
  • DSC01002.jpg
    DSC01002.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 409
Very interesting! I don't think I've ever seen that done and nor did I think that would work somehow. So now I have a million questions: What did you make the brace out of? How long did he have to wear it to straighten the horn? Did it affect his feeding or mobility at all?

Thanks!
Trace

Edward,

Very intriguing... at what age did you add the brace? Just to confirm, this male in the photos is one year old? How big was the clutch? Was the female gravid upon acquisition, or did copulation take place under your care?

Thanks for sharing,

Fabián

Had a clutch of C. meru's ~ a year ago. All of them sold but one, due to a bent nostral horn (possibly caused by an improper shed). I would have let the horn grow out naturally, but noticed that it was bending toward the left horn. So I fashioned a plastic brace that essentially stressed the horn straight. Interestingly it work.

That's really neat, Ed. He looks great. :) Maybe it will make him more attractive to the female. ;)

Elisa,

The female is still unresponsive even with the cosmetic enhancement. It could still be a good sign! I heard about your successful R. spinosus copulation! Congrats...

Fabian,

Copulation occurred under my care, in which 14 neonates were produced. A total of 3 died shortly after. The male is ~ a year old...

Trace,

The entire process took ~2 weeks. Given that meru's are notoriously known for having brittle horns, I utilized 2 braces with different pliablility. The first brace was made out of a soft pliable plastic (delicup) and folded and cut into the desired shape. This brace showed the most promise, straightening 90% of the bent horn within the first few days. The last brace (a less pliable plasitic) was used to keep the horn in position while adding gentle pressure to finish the job. The pliablilty and straight molds of the plastics did all the work. The main problems were applying the braces on the horn of an unreceptive patient. I found that a chameleon fast asleep is easier to work with.:p I did not observe the brace hinderits normal feeding and moving behavior.

Warning! what worked for me may not work for you...

Ed

you put "braces" on your Chameleon. lol. It's really interesting actually to see that it worked. Hope the female accepts him for you! Good luck!

I wonder if it was a permanent fix. If the horn grew crooked it would make sense that the fixing of it was just bending a crooked horn. I wouldn't be surprised if it returned to it's natural bent state after the brace was removed.

Can we get an update?

Back
Top Bottom