my jackson wont eat

joshuajohnson06

my Jackson chameleon wont eat I had him for about a week now when I first brought him home he ate 2 crickets then a couple days later he ate 2 horned worms, I been misting him couple times a day and he has been drinking the water. he ha plenty of heat on him both UVB and UVA light. his cage is 4 feet high 2 feet wide and deep. I just cant figure him out he seems to be very healthy, he is about 5 to 6 inches long. I don't know what to do, I tried horned worms again crickets in various sizes I tried super worms meal worms silk worms I don't know what else to do..

Attachments

• IMG_20130915_113002_202.jpg
    IMG_20130915_113002_202.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20130915_121552_333.jpg
    IMG_20130915_121552_333.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_20130917_102643_656.jpg
    IMG_20130917_102643_656.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 169
Hello I have a female jax, and I was starting to get concerned when she wasn't eating as much as she used to. But I did some research and what worked for me was not presenting food to my Cham for a day or two(to make sure she is hungry) than present a cricket or two and she would always take them. Also chams love variety, try feeding him black soldier flys, that calci worms turn into. My Cham goes crazy for those. And also what are your temps and humidity set at? Jackson's require a higher relative humidity than most other chams of 60-80%im sure that would be quite hard to do in a cage like that. Here is a freshest for Jackson's. I has everything you will need :)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/

I just noticed this... But one of your lamps is going through the side of the cage, that is very unnatural and should be on the top angled away from the cage or facing straight down. Your on the right track though!! Better first cage set up than I had.

It looks like your feeder try is right in the path of the concetrated light. Since that is a very unnatural position of lighting and it could possibly make it harder for him to see the food. Just a thought. Also, im not sure if you are offering it to him by hand or not but i would put them in a feeder cup and just back away leaving it in there. If he is in a new environment it may take a week or so for him to get comfortable enough to get a big appetite. I would just make sure my temps, humidity, and lighting is on point and give him lots of privacy. This should be sufficient enough and after awhile he should be eating just fine. Lots of people have chams that are new that don't like to eat that much until they are comfortable with their new surrounding, so i would just make sure i am giving him enough privacy and time. Good luck! ALso i just noticed your setup, but a lot of people have good luck in providing humidity with a miser setup or a fogger machine of some sort. it can be done without one of these things but i think a lot of people use them for their jacksons, since they do require a fair amount of humidity to be happy.

Here is my set up for my female jax approx~ 1 to 11/2 years old. 7-8 inches long. The cage took ALOT of trial and error to get it perfect

sensei master

Look for rawg277201 on youtube. he has several videos. he is the jax whisperer. his setups will give you a great idea of where to start. Pay close attention to RH, when he talks. Very Important!!!!

It depends..... If your humidity stays 60-80% and the temp. Gradient is where it should be your cage should be just fine. Try covering up 2 to 3 of the sides with a shower curtain to help hold humidity. And also, chams don't drink from standing water.. They need to see the water moving or drink dew of the leaves.( the Little Dipper works perfect.) how do you feed your jax? I would imagine that if you feeders loose in the cage they would climb through the spacings between the bars. Read over the care sheet carefully. If you can get your enclosure to meet all of the requirements a bird cage would actually be a pretty good cage :)

He drinks from the little bowl? That's awesome ha ha. Sometimes chams will go on hunger strikes for 2-3 days even. It is normal, but just make sure that you offer different foods to him everyday and you may find which feeder he prefers one over the other.

Back
Top Bottom