My Green Anole's !

I know have four of them ! I have decided to start helping my friend with his project. We get wild caught anoles breed them, get the eggs, hatch them out, and withing 2 months from hatching we let the babies go outside. That way we are helping the green anole population in our area. I have 2 pairs.

One pair decide to breed last night and you could see their heads in one of the pictures. Enjoy and let me know what you think !

Before mating.
uu.jpg

He is ready !
9ae66567.jpg

The pair !
iii.jpg

The gravid female.
yhuuy.jpg

Male #2 Shedding
y.jpg

Female #2
k-1.jpg

I'm not 100% familiar with the fauna of Florida, but is that a native species?

Do you think you helping the anoles before releasing them might impact their chances of survival in the wild?

Do you think you helping the anoles before releasing them might impact their chances of survival in the wild?

they are a native species yes. BUT they are being frightened away by the brown anoles.

i may not release ALL the offspring in the wild. it should make much of an impact. i will not be keeping them for awhile when they are young

Sounds like Fun but you are creating more competition for local green anole populations
in your area. Not to mention the risk of disease contamination, either way.
:)

Dont worry the population should be just fine in FL and not effected by Stefans fun and enthusiasm. :D To bad kids around here rob cars instead of play in the woods for fun.

You really think FL needs more anoles.:eek:

You really think FL needs more anoles.

The non-native browns have made the greens pretty hard to find most places. I visited several years ago and couldn't find any- I found more in south carolina than in florida!

Green anoles are cool- nice Stefan!

I think it is awesome! I'm from Ohio but go to Tampa often to visit my brother. About 15 Years ago the green anoles were everywhere, but last summer when I was there we looked for a week straight and couldn't find one. Brown anoles are everywhere.

heck yeah cause the wild ousts need something else to eat besides bugs!!!

Stefan have you talked to conservation people, I have no idea what FL calls the dept. They might have insight on the disappearing population.

Ok, ok...as a wildlife biologist for Palm Beach County...they is no harm in releasing CB green anoles, nor any regulations. I don't think Stefan could produce enough babies to make a real impact (positive or negative)...go forth and have fun!

Ok, ok...as a wildlife biologist for Palm Beach County...they is no harm in releasing CB green anoles, nor any regulations. I don't think Stefan could produce enough babies to make a real impact (positive or negative)...go forth and have fun!

Thank you! I want to be a wildlife biologist like you when I get older!

Laurie- I haven't but I am trying to find people I can talk. It's hard.
I want to volunteer at a humane society and be more involved to help my local wildlife.

@Laurie/Stefan, oops, I should have been more clear...I am the one to talk to on this issue. :D The fish and wildlife commission does not deal with stuff like this, which is where I would come into play to answer any questions. Feel free to PM me.

Stefan, You should go volunteer at Busch Wildlife in Jupiter!

Stefan, are you sure your catching green anoles? There are a couple of non-native species that are becoming more common that look a lot like greens.
Heres an old thread of mine about anoles. Theres a photo of a green that looks a lot like the native but isnt. https://www.chameleonforums.com/florida-non-native-anoles-40429/
Dan, its the Browns that are driving out the greens. Knights and Crested are really only found in south FL. Crested I've only seen in Dade county.

Back
Top Bottom