My first two weeks with Socs. With Pics and a question or two!

Quantum Mark

Hello,

So I've had little Socs for two weeks now. He was three months when I got him. It may just be my imagination, but I'm sure he's already grown so much! Even more pleasing is that he's developed more colour already too. As far as I can tell he's shed twice now and a little more has come out each time.

Here is a picture of him flaring up at the camera. It's the first time he's done it but I guess he's developing his Cham's trade mark dislike for being photographed. We have that in common at least, though I dare say he's a lot more into bugs than I am :)

The second two photos bring me to my question. When he is in his enclosure he mostly displays his brown grey and white bandage. It's by no means dark with stress as I've seen him do that when I transport him home for example, but a definite grey/brown bandage of varying paleness/darkness. When I take him and perch him on a schefflera to clean his enclosure he turns a pale grey, and his bands only display where the blue and reds are starting to come through. Very different indeed. There is no crest flaring (apart from when I poke a camera at him of course) and he seems fairly relaxed there to my eye, albeit a relatively inexperienced one. Note that in the rightmost picture, the flash is on making him look brighter.

What do you guys think this is saying about his mood? Is it a camouflage thing because it's different environments? Does he just prefer it out of his enclosure? Details of the enclosure are here, the the basking area is now about 84F. He's showing all the signs of being healthy with exemplary poops and urates. Experienced Cham keepers, please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 187
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 3.2.jpg
    3.2.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 162
Im sure he just likes that enclosure more. Chameleons do not change their colors to blend in with their environment the colors change due to their mood and how they feel.

-Clemonde

Congrats on your new Cham Mark, I know the wait was killing you! :)

Lol, thanks jojackson! It most certainly was! :D

You see now pssh says 'Lighter colors usually mean that they are 'happy' or content.' which i know. But then chameleonboy says 'Im sure he just likes that enclosure more'. This is why im asking as the two are a little contradictory. And yes, I do know that Chams dont change colour to blend with background :)

Strange though, can't help but wonder if he prefers it outside his enclosure. If that starts to look like the case I may free range him when he's gets to his juvi stage...

More input on this mood thing very welcome :)

Did I miss understand your post? He's lighter outside the enclosure? Or is he lighter inside the enclosure?

EDIT: Also, chameleons will (sometimes) become lighter if they are cooler and darker if they are hotter. Though generally they change color because of their mood.

Mark, pssh has pointed out that thermoregulation will cause the lizard to change paler/darker accordingly. This is an obvious bet. Other than that, the perch plant is a new enviroment, and its quite likely the paler color is a response to that.
Its not nessesarily stress. Chameleons can and do adapt to a degree for the purpous of camouflage (though not as intensely or as accurately as often imagined).
Perhaps the paler color blends better with the friolage from above (birds) (yes even if there are none and the plants inside lol).
I dont think you have cause for concern at all. Reading a lizards mood from its color is pretty vague and basic at the best of times ,aka, flared up=upset, pale but bright=relaxed or sleeping and so on. Provided its enviromental conditions are within accepted parameters for the species, I think you can assume minor color changes are normal.
:)

My one goes lighter outside of his viv, i put him on a hibicus in the bath to give him a really good spray and we went almost white. I though it must have something to do with my bathroom being all white? he didnt seem at all unhappy either. Socs is coming along really nicely mate, ill have to get my camera out and post some more of my little man soon.

Back
Top Bottom