My first set up using the Screameleons kit. Let me have it!!

zombiepixel

I know i'm doing something wrong, I never get these things right, right away.

http://vimeo.com/5106581

This is everything that came with the kit. The baby won't be here for a couple more days so I want to get everything in order before then.

Also like i point out in the video, the mist goes all over (who would've thought a screen couldn't contain water :p ) what do you guys do to minimize the wetness on neighboring items?

I know i'm doing something wrong, I never get these things right, right away.

http://vimeo.com/5106581

This is everything that came with the kit. The baby won't be here for a couple more days so I want to get everything in order before then.

Also like i point out in the video, the mist goes all over (who would've thought a screen couldn't contain water :p ) what do you guys do to minimize the wetness on neighboring items?

trash bag, use some wire and wrap it around back and both sides, also helps big time with humidity.

I like how you made the branches like steps, looks good it will allow your chameleon to easily regulate it's temperature. I would however recommend you place your humidity gauge in another area, directly underneath the heat lamp is not a good spot because all your readings will obviously very dry. I place my humidity gauges towards the middle of the cage, so that it is surrounded by the plants, which give a better representation of what humidity is really at. Like googles said, use trashbags. They work great, I use tape to fasten the bags to the cage.

Well the set up looks just like the on in the screameleon video, so your on the right track.

The HabaMist is a "Spitter" by nature, not much you can do about it. It does what it should ,and thats getting water to the chameleon.

Things you can do to help contain the water:

-Adjust the nozzles angle of spray, aim it directly towards a plant.

- Place vines with leaves on the walls in the problem areas. It will allow the water to collect on the leaves and provide another drinking opportuinity, and prevent the water from exiting the enclosure.

I don't like the idea of placing trash bags on the sides to contain water as it cuts down on ventilation, water still leaks out, and not to mention it looks tacky. Doing this you'll defeat the purpose and benefits of a screen cage.

If you cover the sides up your temps will rise and you will create a stagnant environment. That could lead to health issues, water build up, bacteria...etc. You want the cage to breath and be allowd to dry out between mistings.

Live plants and a few vines , and your well on your way. Good work man.:)

-Jay

I don't like the idea of placing trash bags on the sides to contain water as it cuts down on ventilation, water still leaks out, and not to mention it looks tacky. Doing this you'll defeat the purpose and benefits of a screen cage.

If you cover the sides up your temps will rise and you will create a stagnant environment. That could lead to health issues, water build up, bacteria...etc. You want the cage to breath and be allowd to dry out between mistings.

-Jay

This is true, trash bags do cause some issues. I have also had success using wet paper towels to hold humidity.

thanks for the feedback folks, i'm gonna go try and tweak the vines a little then turn everything off and go to bed.

Without any drainage what do most of you use for water collection at the bottom of the enclosure?

I put a shower curtain over my screen cage. They are cloth (instead of plastic, so, it is breathable. Doesn't look as tacky as trash bags. and still retain humidity well. On top of that do the job in blocking water spitting on the wall and so on.

As long as you provide at least 2 unblocked sides, the air inside will still circulate well.
DSCN1515.jpg

And, I am a huge proponent of live plants.
They are imho a must for chameleons. :)

thanks for the feedback folks, i'm gonna go try and tweak the vines a little then turn everything off and go to bed.

Without any drainage what do most of you use for water collection at the bottom of the enclosure?

Before I made my drainage system, I used a large tupperware container and put it on the bottom. Just be sure to empty it regularly to prevent bacterial growth and be sure that your chameleon doesn't fall in.

The simpliest way would be to drill a hole or several small holes in the center of the pvc bottom, and then place a tub or bucket underneath the cage.

The water will drain after the mistings and the bucket or bin can easily be emptied

The search feature has several running threads with tons of great ideas on this topic. Search "cage drainage" and read on!:)

-Jay

Are you going to be getting a live plant for your cage. I would recommend you do so, it will help with humidity and will provide some weight to the PVC, which would also help with drainage if you decide to use the drilled-hole option that malicious was describing.

Hey Zombie,

Thanks for ordering our kit. Here are the answers to your questions:

Q. How do I prevent neighboring items from getting wet?

A. The Misting System can be tweaked by adjusting two nozzles. Follow the below steps.

1. On the unit, you'll find a star-shaped screw. Turn this counter-clockwise as much as you can without the screw falling out. This will turn the output pressure to the max.

2. On the remote nozzle, turn it clock-wise until you get a very fine mist/spray. The tighter you turn it, the finer it will be.

3. Go back to the star-shaped screw and begin turning this clockwise to lower the output pressure. You should start to see the range of mist/spray decrease. Turn it in just enough so that the mist stays inside the cage. A little overspray is normal. And that's it.

Q. How do I drain the cage of water?

A. If you find that you need to drain the cage, chances are you are over-watering. When a misting system is setup properly, there is no need for drainage. Especially with panther chameleons. Start by setting the mister to off every 3 HOURS for 30 seconds. If the cage dries out to fast, then bump up the duration to 45 seconds. The only thing you'll need at the bottom of the cage is a plain paper towel.

Was this information helpful? Just give us a call if you need more assistance on getting the settings right.

Thanks again!

Screameleons

i used to have one of those misters, they dont work very well, it may be ok for a cage like that but i dont think it will do a good job of getting the whole cage.

Your set-up looks nice. I hope your chameleon will like it. In addition to what was mentioned by others, have you considered moving your temperature gauge to somewhere other than the light fixture? If it is near the fluorescent ballast, or even the bulb, you'll be getting a slightly different reading than the ambient temperature in the cage. Just my 2 cents. I'd get some more life plants too... the more the merrier. Be sure to post some pictures when you get your new chameleon!

I put a shower curtain over my screen cage. They are cloth (instead of plastic, so, it is breathable. Doesn't look as tacky as trash bags. and still retain humidity well. On top of that do the job in blocking water spitting on the wall and so on.

As long as you provide at least 2 unblocked sides, the air inside will still circulate well.
DSCN1515.jpg

And, I am a huge proponent of live plants.
They are imho a must for chameleons. :)

damn you and your aweome cage set up!:eek:

Hey, was that 83.3 degrees as your ambient temp...or just under your basking?

It may be too hot if its your ambient.

Your set-up looks nice. I hope your chameleon will like it. In addition to what was mentioned by others, have you considered moving your temperature gauge to somewhere other than the light fixture? If it is near the fluorescent ballast, or even the bulb, you'll be getting a slightly different reading than the ambient temperature in the cage. Just my 2 cents. I'd get some more life plants too... the more the merrier. Be sure to post some pictures when you get your new chameleon!

I had the temp probe on the highest level right below the basking lamp, and granted I don't the the temp was normalized yet.

Back
Top Bottom