My female won't lay her eggs!

kylerenz

Established Member
I am having a hell of a time getting my ambanja to lay eggs. Yes, it turns out that Mr. Chris Carter was right. She had retained sperm from the wild and is now laying a clutch for me. She has laid four eggs already that look very healthy, but she just laid them, she didn't dig. Now I have her in a laying cage but she continues to refuse my laying bed. I don't know if it is the moisture content or the dirt, or what. Any suggestions? I am open to anything. I don't want her to hold them in. Thanks everyone.

Is the soil moist enough to support a tunnel?

Does she see you watching her?

Try syringing a little liquid calcium in her mouth . That can aid her in laying eggs if she is worn down.

Try starting a hole, that does sometimes work.

And if you are using a bucket , try sticking a plant or a plant clipping in the middle. Often they like to lay eggs aeound plant roots.

I went home for lunch today and she was digging again so hopefully this time she finds the dirt to be acceptable. I added a little more water to it so that it holds its shape well but isn't too wet. I will soon find out when I get home. Thanks everyone for your help.

Make sure not to disturb her unless you have too. Mine didn't lay for a few days until I put a cover over 3 sides of the cage so she could not see anything outside. There was too much going on for her to feel safe.

Back
Top Bottom