My Female wont lay eggs WHY!!!!!!!!

hyunho6

I got a female veiled chameleon which is super healthy but I think she is gravid but not too sure because I got her about end of october? I think, with her mate but the person that I got them from told me that he never bred them but the previous owner before him might of so I donno if she is really gravid or not she looks like shes carrying eggs by looking but she does not show the gravid color at all!!!!! but she does when she see a male....
Im confused and need help asap because if she is gravid she might be egg bound :( I do also have egg bin in her terrium which she never uses.
She is eating well and trying to do my best to keep her safe, I do want to take some picture but sadly my camera wont work so please help!!
Forgot to mention that she is 11 month old now

She can have eggs whether she mate or not... My cham didn't look at the laying bin in her enclosure at all. So I had to use a big garbage can with moist play sand and she started to dig as soon I put her in. She didn't show any gravid colors and she ate to the day she started to dig. I knew the time's come because she started scratching the bottom .

If you find out she is gravid and she doesn't use the egg bin in your cage, you might consider putting her in a big trash can. For some reason I couldn't get my Veiled chameleon to lay eggs in a cut in half bucket like my Panther chameleon simply uses. My Veiled would go up and down the cage ignoring the bucket! Walk beside the bucket on the bottom of the cage. I had to put her in a trashcan filled with dirt, I found a nice 15 or 18 gallon black one at Homedepot for $15. I also put a screened lid with the lights on top. Eventually my veiled went to the bottom of the trashcan and began to dig finally! It's a real relief when they lay their eggs.

Good way of knowing if she has eggs is to see what she is doing. Does she go up and down the cage constantly? Is she walking around the bottom? Does she have aqua blue circles all over her?

Well at first I had cage that had no egg bin and after I figured she is gravid I got eco earth and sand mixed just like people told me to do and put them into a black bucket that was used for small trees but she stands on it but never ever goes down I can tell that her movement is decreasing and worried :( should I not let her come out of the bucket?

My little miss had an awful first time experience. She refused to lay in her laying bin in her cage (which she lays in now like a champ). She'd hardly even look at it.

I had two in her cage, with different dirt/sand mixtures to try and see what she would prefer. I also made her a large trash bin and covered it which just put her into super stress mode.

I'm hoping yours will be fine with the trash bin method, but I had to take mine to the vet and get an oxytocin shot.

She never used the laying bins, just dropped them everywhere that first go round.

Here's the thread I wrote about it : https://www.chameleonforums.com/weirdest-egg-hunt-131665/

68c9195e-0c8a-4557-a3d5-9f548ed4b00f.jpg

Thanks for the replys guys and just wondering if I have to goto vet how much will it cost? and when should I go? like how long can my veiled hold the egg for?

And cost depends, if the vet wants X-rays and oxytocin it'll be a little more, but well worth it. Without it she could get egg bound (if she's not already) and die

Back
Top Bottom