My dumb friend

wsbishop91

One of my friends purchased a big aquarium and a veiled chameleon. I told him how bad they are because of airflow problems and many other reasons. he seems to think placing a fan a few feet above and facing the mesh lid of the aquarium will help the airflow, But i really dont think that will help will it?

If this is an aquarium, not a terrarium, then your friend will need to place the basking light off to one side. The idea is the heated air will rise and exit the cage on that side, pulling in cooler air from the other side.

I can't imagine pointing a fan at a chameleon...I just imagine my little one thinking "TWISTER!!!" However, a fan place at the hot side of the enclosure, facing away, might help pull the air out of the enclosure. It would have to be done carefully because you don't want the little guy to be feeling like his basking spot is in a vortex of some sort....

**edited to add**

Here's Kinyonga's post in the terrarium thread about using aquariums.

Last edited:
Terraniums are great to use for smaller cham species, but it would be difficult to find a terranium large enough to house a veiled....

I've used aquariums off and on for the last 20+ years for chameleons. My C. chameleons all lived in them...and the females generally lived to be over 6 years of age and the males too, for example. As Elizadolots said...if the heat light is put to one end there is an airflow.

I never used fans on the cages because I didn't want to create a draft...or dry the cage out. If you use an aquarium though you do have to watch that you don't let any water lay stagnant on the floor of it. Also...I wouldn't recommend using one if you live in a hot climate without airconditioning for example.

I've used aquariums off and on for the last 20+ years for chameleons. My C. chameleons all lived in them...and the females generally lived to be over 6 years of age and the males too, for example. As Elizadolots said...if the heat light is put to one end there is an airflow.

I never used fans on the cages because I didn't want to create a draft...or dry the cage out. If you use an aquarium though you do have to watch that you don't let any water lay stagnant on the floor of it. Also...I wouldn't recommend using one if you live in a hot climate without airconditioning for example.

well why not let the person just get a screen cage and not worry so much....unless he was an experieced keeper he can do as such, but i do not see why not just use a screen cage?

He could still use the aquarium, kind of. He is going to take the trim off and take out a couple of sides and add mesh. I built one for my lil panther for the winter to keep humidity up.

I will take pics tomorrow

Thank you i will share this with him, if you could write me in greater detail of how to care for them in a aquariums. I use a exo terra for my male jackson and he has been doing great

well why not let the person just get a screen cage and not worry so much....unless he was an experieced keeper he can do as such, but i do not see why not just use a screen cage?

No one is keeping him from getting a screen cage. However, he already has glass.

He could still use the aquarium, kind of. He is going to take the trim off and take out a couple of sides and add mesh. I built one for my lil panther for the winter to keep humidity up.

I will take pics tomorrow

I'll be interested in seeing the pics, however, those modifications are not necessarily needed if kinyonga's method is followed.

No one is keeping him from getting a screen cage. However, he already has glass.

i understand this, i was referring to Kinyonga, also what happens if the veiled chameleon out grows the tank?.....and i only recommended to get a screen cage for it to be "easier" for the person to care for the cham...then again, depending where his friend is geographically located, i cant assume he should mainly use glass or screen...if im not mistaken its popular over seas in europe, then U.S (mostly use screen "over popularized":p)

I aquarium is bad because it can see it's reflection and get stressed out..

This is the only reason I could think that would cause a problem following what has already been said to successfully keep a cham in an aquarium. The reflection is not like a mirror image either. Of course some may be bothered by it and some may not. However, I have never seen any of the terrariums in person. Is it the same reflection in those?

Kinyonga, have you ever had problems with an animal seeing its reflection?

There are pros and cons to glass and to screen cages (and any combination) depending on where you live, etc.

Screen won't hold the humidity in and its harder to keep the temperature up in them if you live in a cool climate but definitely allows the air to flow. In winter, in cool climates (or in houses with air conditioning in the summer) in the screen cage your chameleon will have to spend more time sitting right up under the light in the basking area to keep warm...but not so in the glass cage.

Many people end up adding plastic to 3 sides of the cage to help keep the humidity up and the heat in....but even with just the front screen in cooler climates, the temperature and humidity will be hard to keep up.

Glass cages help to keep the humidity better and the temperatures can be maintained easier in a cool climate. The airflow can still be good in them but definitely less than in a screen cage. But then in summer, its harder to keep the glass cages from becoming too hot.

Spraying in a glass cage keeps the water contained in the cage while spraying in a screen cage won't contain the water....but then there is the issue of not allowing water to lay stagnant in the glass cages.

Regarding reflections...I have rarely (if ever) seen a chameleon react to the glass. They seem to figure out what they are seeing is themselves.

Regarding health issues with glass...I have never had a chameleon develop a respiratory issue or a fungus from being in a glass cage.

My main concern with people telling people that glass should not be used and screen is the only option is that its not really true. It would be much better to give the pros and cons and take into consideration the circumstances of climate, etc. in the area that the person live rather than to just make a definite blanket statement about it....then the person can make the choice.

In the "terrarium" thread that was quoted earlier, both Chris Anderson and Brad Ramsey say they have never seen a chameleon react negatively to a "reflection".

My main concern with people telling people that glass should not be used and screen is the only option is that its not really true. It would be much better to give the pros and cons and take into consideration the circumstances of climate, etc. in the area that the person live rather than to just make a definite blanket statement about it....then the person can make the choice.

Exactly. And, if the person already has one or the other, then why not help them make the best of what they have first? Ultimately a new set up may be in order, but maybe one won't be needed.

wsbishop91...where does your friend live (province? state? country?)?

He lives in Morgantown WV, it is very cold around 30 degrees out right now and kind of dry, My male does fine in his exo terra with a few misting a say as long and i keep the temp in my room between 70 ad 75, but he bought a pretty big tank and it was expensive so if he can he would like to use it for now

Back
Top Bottom