MY CHAMELON IS SICK

hector07

I Had my chameleon for about a year i get it from a person that cant keep it so i dont know how old is he and now looks sick i took it to the vet the gave hem some medicin but he still not getting well he eats and drinks water but he always throws up everything and now he looks tired with hes eyes sunken i feel very sad because i dont know what to do anymore

Attachments

• 20230405_115054.jpg
    20230405_115054.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi there... Your boy is on the verge of death based on that picture.

What was the medication given used to treat?
It was some injections they told me to put one every other day, like 4 months ago he got a respiratory infection and they gave me similar inyections and that works last time but this time it dont seem getting well, you have any idea of what could cause this?

It was some injections they told me to put one every other day, like 4 months ago he got a respiratory infection and they gave me similar inyections and that works last time but this time it dont seem getting well, you have any idea of what could cause this?
It could be anything from illness to incorrect husbandry. They have pretty specific needs so if one thing is off they can go downhill. If the infection never cleared it could also be the cause but 4 months is a long time between treatment and decline like this to be infection.

Honestly the only thing you can do is get him into a reptile vet and see if they can save him then do a husbandry review to make sure your enclosure and set up is correct to keep him healthy.

Sounds like he could be impacted since you say he’s eating. I really think he needs a good chameleon vet asap.

Sounds like he could be impacted since you say he’s eating. I really think he needs a good chameleon vet asap.
i took it to the vet, he said it looks like he may have kidney problems, i adopt it like 9 monts ago but the previus owner he didnt even know how to take care of hem so the vet told me he may get sick from when he was little for not having the correct care but i dont know maybe i did something wrong i dont know :(

There are sometime nothing we can do but feel bad for our little critters.
Can you share the name of the injections?
When you say he is eating and then regurgitating, does that mean force feeding or on his own?
We have seen them in worst shape but if organ issues might be nothing you can do.
Do the best you can. There are good success stories with chameleons looking worst. (y)

i dont remeber the medecin but vet told me tp keep it on the fridge and use it every other day, and he eats by his own i just put food and he came to eat it

Thanks for update. Just curious is he still alive? Sounds like he passed away.
He still alive the vet put some fluids under hes skin to get hem hydrated because he also is dehydrated im going to do my best to try to make hem get well

That is awesome!
Can you share a current picture ( maybe one taken today). I would learn how to tube feed and make heathy mix if organs are not damaged.
If he has the will to survive and you the motivation to help--he will.
Plus, did he have parasites? Very common

I Had my chameleon for about a year i get it from a person that cant keep it so i dont know how old is he and now looks sick i took it to the vet the gave hem some medicin but he still not getting well he eats and drinks water but he always throws up everything and now he looks tired with hes eyes sunken i feel very sad because i dont know what to do anymore

That is awesome!
Can you share a current picture ( maybe one taken today). I would learn how to tube feed and make heathy mix if organs are not damaged.
If he has the will to survive and you the motivation to help--he will.
Plus, did he have parasites? Very common
This is hem right now at least he is moving arpund the enclosure i hope he gets well

Attachments

• 20230406_105030.jpg
    20230406_105030.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 46
This is a full picture of hes enclosure i dont know if you guys have some recomendations?

Attachments

• 20230406_105459.jpg
    20230406_105459.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 51
Hydration is going to be a biggie. JMO and open for other to chime in.
I would get plastic clear wrap and put on the sides and back (outside---easy to do}
Call vet and find out exact meds used (to many vet use different meds).
Meds are used for different things, so important to know what was found in his tests (it is a hassle, but learning can be) (y) If you are motivated enough a phone call or copy of visit can let us know. Many others have shared vet visit paperwork to help.
Use smaller food items if he can eat on his own. No superworms, mealworms or waxworms until he can keep food down. Make sure he has a good basking site to help with digestion.
FROM his looks, he looks stronger than others that have survived, but we don't know the internal stuff.
Sorry if I am pushy but I rarely give up until it is over. Thanks for understanding.

Motivation video:

I would get plastic clear wrap and put on the sides and back (outside---easy to do}
Meds are used for different things, so important to know what was found in his tests (it is a hassle, but learning can be) (y) If you are motivated enough a phone call or copy of visit can let us know. Many others have shared vet visit paperwork to help.
Use smaller food items if he can eat on his own. No superworms, mealworms or waxworms until he can keep food down. Make sure he has a good basking site to help with digestion.
FROM his looks, he looks stronger than others that have survived, but we don't know the internal stuff.
Sorry if I am pushy but I rarely give up until it is over. Thanks for understanding.

Motivation video:

Yes i will call the doctor to see what was the medecin they gave hem, also i will put plastic to keep more humidity on the enclosure, i dindt get the exams because they were expensive and to be honest im not in the position to spend that money right now, im trying my best on doing what i can do

Motivation video:

Do you know what can i use to cover the enclousure? Like what kind of plastic?

Well--I use to use plastic shower curtains and cut to size. Then someone on here mentioned regular kitchen suran wrap with a little tape. This is just a temporary thing if he gets better, so would pick what is easier for you. I like to save money so would go with what you can do.
The meds, his attitude, his enclosure, his history could all be causes so each should be addressed 100% to fix. Hydration and food along with enclosure would be my immediate projects for the new day or two. IF weather permits an outdoor cage for direct sunlight is a great healer. Monitored of course so he does not overheat.
Outside I have a constant drip and I mist many times during the day.

Back
Top Bottom