MY CHAMELON IS SICK

Well--I use to use plastic shower curtains and cut to size. Then someone on here mentioned regular kitchen suran wrap with a little tape. This is just a temporary thing if he gets better, so would pick what is easier for you. I like to save money so would go with what you can do.
The meds, his attitude, his enclosure, his history could all be causes so each should be addressed 100% to fix. Hydration and food along with enclosure would be my immediate projects for the new day or two. IF weather permits an outdoor cage for direct sunlight is a great healer. Monitored of course so he does not overheat.
Outside I have a constant drip and I mist many times during the day.
What can i feed hem? Because every time he eats he throws up what would be an option?

So- I would use a medium cricket- Just 1 and see what happens. If he has a bacterial infection in his digestive track this needs meds. The reason knowing what he was treated for is so important (sorry don't know all the facts).
Meds are used for specific items. Example: Respiratory Infection are treated different that fungal infections and there are a few different bacteria issues which require different meds.
A little food and a good heat basking area have worked. Remember- I am not a vet.

So- I would use a medium cricket- Just 1 and see what happens. If he has a bacterial infection in his digestive track this needs meds. The reason knowing what he was treated for is so important (sorry don't know all the facts).
Meds are used for specific items. Example: Respiratory Infection are treated different that fungal infections and there are a few different bacteria issues which require different meds.
A little food and a good heat basking area have worked. Remember- I am not a vet.
I call the vet and they told me the medecin they prescribes was "fortac" they want me to do xrays for my cham but also is kinda expensive for the xrays amd the blood test they are charging like $700 plis the visit and the medecins...

Great job!
Vets are necessary and a great tool for learning. Thanks

"Fortaz (ceftazidime) 20 mg/kg SQ/IM q 72h *. † This is a 3rd generation cephalosporin (newer than Baytril)used parenterally for gram-negative infections, and is particularly, useful in reptiles. May cause pain on IM injection; SC injection probably less painful." Google Search

I am guessing they found "gram-negative infection" So- your little fella probably developed a secondary issue or even more. It seems parasites were not addressed so maybe they were never found or not tested for.

See learning is fun.

This is why blood work is so important.
Keep up the good work.

Tests would have likely given you the information to know if it was kidney disease for sure. Diseased kidneys can block the intestinal tract and cause constipation/impaction…but impaction can come from what the chameleon was eating as well.

This might help…
”Not wanting to eat, lethargy, and sunken eyes are early signs. A foul or unusual odor may be noticed at more advanced stages. A white sheen may be seen in the mouth”…
”Commonly, reptiles with advanced kidney disease will vomit or regurgitate if force fed”…
“Other signs that your reptile may have kidney disease that your veterinarian might notice include weakness; lying on the table rather than sitting in an alert and erect posture; bad breath (not yours, your reptile’s!); and dehydration causing sunken eyes and thick ropy mucus in the mouth”…
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102919&id=8148630

I Had my chameleon for about a year i get it from a person that cant keep it so i dont know how old is he and now looks sick i took it to the vet the gave hem some medicin but he still not getting well he eats and drinks water but he always throws up everything and now he looks tired with hes eyes sunken i feel very sad because i dont know what to do anymore
Pascal just pass away :(
I thought he was getting better, after the visit to the vet he looked better but maybe he was just saying goodbye, thanks for the advice and help...

I Had my chameleon for about a year i get it from a person that cant keep it so i dont know how old is he and now looks sick i took it to the vet the gave hem some medicin but he still not getting well he eats and drinks water but he always throws up everything and now he looks tired with hes eyes sunken i feel very sad because i dont know what to do anymore
Pascal just pass away
I thought he was getting better, after the visit to the vet he looked better but maybe he was just saying goodbye, thanks for the advice and help...
Tests would have likely given you the information to know if it was kidney disease for sure. Diseased kidneys can block the intestinal tract and cause constipation/impaction…but impaction can come from what the chameleon was eating as well.

This might help…
”Not wanting to eat, lethargy, and sunken eyes are early signs. A foul or unusual odor may be noticed at more advanced stages. A white sheen may be seen in the mouth”…
”Commonly, reptiles with advanced kidney disease will vomit or regurgitate if force fed”…
“Other signs that your reptile may have kidney disease that your veterinarian might notice include weakness; lying on the table rather than sitting in an alert and erect posture; bad breath (not yours, your reptile’s!); and dehydration causing sunken eyes and thick ropy mucus in the mouth”…
https://veterinarypartner.vin.com/default.aspx?pid=19239&catId=102919&id=8148630
Pascal just pass away :(

Back
Top Bottom