my chameleon wont shed

my chameleon is about 3-4 months old.He eats well and I give him the suppliments he needs, but since his last shed(his 3rd time shedding) it has lasted 2 weeks, I worry for the worst. the parts of his body that havnt shed are under his tail, and from what ive seen he hasn't done a full body shed,

I want to know how to help him and how severe the problem is

Just make sure to mist him regularly, more than usual, to help him with the shed. Once chameleons get older and more mature, they don't shed as often and usually don't shed their entire bodies, but your cham is a little too young to have reached this milestone of adulthood yet. Can you post a picture of him right now? When was his last shed, or is he in one right now? And filling out the form (below) that @ERKleRose suggested would greatly help us.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chamleon info-
your chameleon- veild chameleon, at least 4 months old, I have takin care of it for 4 months
handling-because when likes a spot,he wont leave it,i have to move him for feeding time
feeding-right now ive been feeding him a diet of crickets,butter worms,fruit flys,and superworms
supplements-calcium with d3,calcuim with no d3,multivaitams, brand for calcium with d3 and multiviatamins is repti-cal,the other one is flukers calciam.
watering- I give him water with a mister in two ways, I give the plant water and he licks the leaves,the other one is he drinks directly from the sprayer,i mist him 2-4 times a day
fecal descriptions-right now his poop has been a solid brown non dry,and his pee has been orange to the tip and snow white in the rest,i haven't tested for parasites
information- previously I have seen some black scars but these gow away when he changes colors

Cage Info:
cage type-
his cage is a screen type,he climbs ALL over it
Lighting-for day he has a 50W light bulb, for night he has also a 50W light bulb that gives a bit more heat (because my house is cold I put a my sleeping cover over his cage so he doesn't get cold)
Tempture- not sure but I know it is usally warm during the day and neutral a little bit warmer during the night, although it is regulated because of humidity
Humdity- I try to keep it as moist as possible, but I do not over do it with the humidity
Plants- givin him a natrul plant native to florida, I am not sure the name , but we see it all over here and I have seen no moss coming from it
Placment- I have it near a air vent which is closed at all times
Location- I live in florida( I don't want to specify where though)
Current Problem- his shedding session has lasted for 2 weeks, the place where the shed is stuck is under his tail

Note- I will send a picture of him later on

Chamleon info-
your chameleon- veild chameleon, at least 4 months old, I have takin care of it for 4 months
handling-because when likes a spot,he wont leave it,i have to move him for feeding time
feeding-right now ive been feeding him a diet of crickets,butter worms,fruit flys,and superworms
supplements-calcium with d3,calcuim with no d3,multivaitams, brand for calcium with d3 and multiviatamins is repti-cal,the other one is flukers calciam.
watering- I give him water with a mister in two ways, I give the plant water and he licks the leaves,the other one is he drinks directly from the sprayer,i mist him 2-4 times a day
fecal descriptions-right now his poop has been a solid brown non dry,and his pee has been orange to the tip and snow white in the rest,i haven't tested for parasites
information- previously I have seen some black scars but these gow away when he changes colors

Cage Info:
cage type-
his cage is a screen type,he climbs ALL over it
Lighting-for day he has a 50W light bulb, for night he has also a 50W light bulb that gives a bit more heat (because my house is cold I put a my sleeping cover over his cage so he doesn't get cold)
Tempture- not sure but I know it is usally warm during the day and neutral a little bit warmer during the night, although it is regulated because of humidity
Humdity- I try to keep it as moist as possible, but I do not over do it with the humidity
Plants- givin him a natrul plant native to florida, I am not sure the name , but we see it all over here and I have seen no moss coming from it
Placment- I have it near a air vent which is closed at all times
Location- I live in florida( I don't want to specify where though)
Current Problem- his shedding session has lasted for 2 weeks, the place where the shed is stuck is under his tail

Note- I will send a picture of him later on
Okay,so you’re going to need to be more specific on your husbandry than that. Did you hatch him from an egg? Do you gutload your feeders? How often do you use each supplement? He also needs to be misted directly when misting to clean out his eyes. How long do you mist? How big is his cage? Could you specify on him climbing all over it, please? He NEEDS uvb! There should be 12 hours of uvb and basking and 12 hours of complete darkness. You need to measure the basking and ambient temps and humidity! Go to the hardware store and pick up a digital temp gun for the basking and a digital hygrometer/thermometer combo for ambient temp and humidity (get the one that shows the highs and lows of each day). Could you try to name the plant? Are you sure it’s a male (does he have tarsal spurs)? Could you post a pic of your cham, that plant, and your enclosure, please?

Last edited:
he has a 18" x 18" x 36" cage, his plant is a florida umbrella plant , im trying to find out how to post pictures, he does get wet during misting and I mist him for 5-10 min, I got him from a breeder by climbing all over it I mean even though he has his plant, he likes his screen better

he has a 18" x 18" x 36" cage, his plant is a florida umbrella plant , im trying to find out how to post pictures, he does get wet during misting and I mist him for 5-10 min, I got him from a breeder by climbing all over it I mean even though he has his plant, he likes his screen better
Does he only have one plant in his cage? When you type a response in a thread, next to post reply, there should be upload a file, that’s how you post pics.

his plant is PRETTY big it takes up most of his cage heres a pic of the plant specis(not a actual picture ,just one I found on the internet that is the plant)

Attachments

• thG0EB41GD.jpg
    thG0EB41GD.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 98
What? Just to clarify, you don’t have any vines and only one plant and a single branch in your enclosure? Read the veiled care sheet here and under the resources tab here, click on the enclosures link to give you some inspiration, too. You should have lush plant cover and tons of branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere

Back
Top Bottom