My Chameleon Makes A weird noise.

Fletcher1987

I have a 2-3 Month old veiled chameleon and as silly as it sounds, sometimes i hear him making a high pitched noise. It sounds like he's chirping. (( And No It's Not The Crickets )). Is that normal?

He could have the start of a respiratory infection. I am sure that someone much more knowledgeable than me will be along to help you soon, but noise when breathing, such as a squeak or popping noises, together with bubbles in the saliva or excess saliva can be a sign of this.

Keep a close eye, especially with one so young and if it continues, get him to a reptile vet. It can be treated with antibiotics, but young chameleons can go downhill quickly if problems like this are not caught and treated early.

It's could be URI. Wheezing, crackling noises with this mucous. How warm is his basking spot and what is the humidity?

It's could be URI. Wheezing, crackling noises with this mucous. How warm is his basking spot and what is the humidity?

Im not sure what the humidity is. But his basking spot is 86.7F. I mist his cage in the morning for about 2 minutes and same at night. However i take him out of his cage before misting and allow it a little before i place him back, so its warmer. He is making crackling noises as though he's eating something hard. He is eating/ drinking fine.

Veiled Chameleons actually do make a sub-sonic squeaking sound when threatened or irritated. It’s like a hoot almost. You can’t hear it so much unless you have your ear right up against the chameleon, but you can feel it in your hand when you are holding them. It is thought that it serves as protection against predators.

Some people have described the sound as a shriek or chirp. Perhaps this is what you are hearing.

Veiled Chameleons actually do make a sub-sonic squeaking sound when threatened or irritated. It’s like a hoot almost. You can’t hear it so much unless you have your ear right up against the chameleon, but you can feel it in your hand when you are holding them. It is thought that it serves as protection against predators.

Some people have described the sound as a shriek or chirp. Perhaps this is what you are hearing.

I brought him back to Petco to have him checked out, since I'm still under the 30 days "Warranty". He was producing some bubbles from his mouth and also making a crackling noise as though he was eating something hard. I don't want to take any chances especially since they still considered him under "warranty" ((( Horrible Wording they used )). Hope to get my little guy back soon.

I brought him back to Petco to have him checked out, since I'm still under the 30 days "Warranty". He was producing some bubbles from his mouth and also making a crackling noise as though he was eating something hard. I don't want to take any chances especially since they still considered him under "warranty" ((( Horrible Wording they used )). Hope to get my little guy back soon.

I think it's an RI. Crackling noise and bubbles points to that. Does he stand around gaping as well? How long have you had him? As it could be something that happened before you bought it. If there is still a health guarantee, I would advise you to take a different chameleon. This guy will most likely need veterinary care and will could be on antibiotics for some time. They will probably need fecal samples to rule out parasites as well...

Knowing he is from petco and he has uri I don,t think I would want him back. They won,t be able to cure the infection! better to start with a healthy baby and save the heart ache. find another source or wait for another batch and buy one when they first come in from the breeder.

Knowing he is from petco and he has uri I don,t think I would want him back. They won,t be able to cure the infection! better to start with a healthy baby and save the heart ache. find another source or wait for another batch and buy one when they first come in from the breeder.

It will probably cost half as much too.

It will probably cost half as much too.

I will wait for them to call me back and once they do, I'll go from there. Unfortunately we've grown attached to him. As soon as i get him back I'll set up an appointment to make sure he is alright. Very unfortunate, i got my panther from a breeder and he is healthy as an ox.

I will wait for them to call me back and once they do, I'll go from there. Unfortunately we've grown attached to him. As soon as i get him back I'll set up an appointment to make sure he is alright. Very unfortunate, i got my panther from a breeder and he is healthy as an ox.

I'll be waiting for good news then -=)

Unless you're looking to save some unfortunate animals, I would personally never buy chameleons from big brand stores such as petco or petsmart. All the best wishes for you chameleon, I hope he turns out ok!

I wish i had the forum before I made my purchase. Anyhow I got a call today from Petco and it turns out he did have a minor URI. They were going to treat him for the next month and if i wanted him back I could bring him back home in a month or so. Unfortunately i told them i did not. Thanks guys for all of your help.

I wish i had the forum before I made my purchase. Anyhow I got a call today from Petco and it turns out he did have a minor URI. They were going to treat him for the next month and if i wanted him back I could bring him back home in a month or so. Unfortunately i told them i did not. Thanks guys for all of your help.

No problem. Sorry for your bad experience, and hope it doesn't turn you away from the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom