My Chameleon looks pale!

do i dank

Feeding - Im feeding him about 8 crickets 6 days a week gut loaded flukers orange cubes and sometimes a little oats?
Supplements - I give him exo terra calcium with D3 5days of the week and exo terra multi vitamin once a week.
Handling - 1-2 times a week
Watering - and i mist him about 3 times a day for 10 seconds
Fecal Description - usualy poos once a week. brown/black with a white urate.
History - bought him off a local breeder.
Cage Type - 18,18,36 screen cage
Lighting - 5.0 uvb for reptiles, 100watt basking bulb
Temperature - ambient temp is about 70-75, basking temp is about 84-88, Humidity is about 60%, doesn't drop below 50%
Plants - 2 fake plants and a pothos and umbrella plant
Placement - hes in my room, about 3 feet of the ground.
Location - Mississauga, Ontario

Okay, so id say for the past couple of weeks my chameleon hasn't been looking that great, and im getting a little worried. for some reason he hasn't really been basking much at all and he looks pale! he also seems a little lazy after he eats his crickets.
a couple of days ago i noticed him sitting with his tale up and his vent a little swollen? could it because hes constipated? (he did not poop till this day).

we also had a really dry winter. my humidity was at about 40-50%

check out the pic plz!
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/98/069hp.jpg/

A few things are:
Your crickets need to be gutloaded better as the orange cubes only hydrate reAlly.
His Basking spot should be closer to 90.
Plain calcium without d3 should be used every feeding with d3 every two weeks

what kind of calcium with d3 have you been using?. Depending on the brand, you may have over supplemented him on d3. And yes, as stated you should be feeding your crickets a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. you should be feeding some other types of feeders such as silkworms, superworms, hornworms, moths, butterworms, dubia roaches... basking temp cold be raised about some between 90-95.
he could be white from getting ready to shed. When is the last time he shed?

what kind of calcium with d3 have you been using?. Depending on the brand, you may have over supplemented him on d3. And yes, as stated you should be feeding your crickets a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables. you should be feeding some other types of feeders such as silkworms, superworms, hornworms, moths, butterworms, dubia roaches... basking temp cold be raised about some between 90-95.
he could be white from getting ready to shed. When is the last time he shed?

I give him exo terra supplements, there supposed to be used almost on a daily basis pretty much.
I give him a couple of hornworms, silkwroms etc. every couple of weeks.last time he shed was about a month ago.

Possible over-supplementation.

Calcium w/ d3 should be once a week w/ a multi-vitamin if under 1 yr of age, while Calcium w/o d3 should be every other feeding. Once over a year, calcium w/ d3 + multi-vitamin should be brought down to 2x monthly while continuing calcium w/o d3 as normal. Chameleons are very sensitive when it comes to supplementation and to much d3 in the system can be deadly. A varying diet is also a must, due to the fact that they receive most of their d3 from their food and not the sun like humans. Hopefully paleness is just due to the recent shed!

Good Luck!!:)

Calcium w/ d3 should be once a week w/ a multi-vitamin if under 1 yr of age, while Calcium w/o d3 should be every other feeding. Once over a year, calcium w/ d3 + multi-vitamin should be brought down to 2x monthly while continuing calcium w/o d3 as normal. Chameleons are very sensitive when it comes to supplementation and to much d3 in the system can be deadly. A varying diet is also a must, due to the fact that they receive most of their d3 from their food and not the sun like humans. Hopefully paleness is just due to the recent shed!

Good Luck!!:)

What? This is completely false, they cannot receive all the D3 they need through diet alone. In fact, they receive very little of it through diet (which is why we supplement) and not just provide it heavily all the time. Without access to UVB they cannot synthesize D3 and they will suffer for it.

The reason for a varied diet applies more to other vitamins and minerals, which need to be ingested to be used, like calcium or vitamin A. The bigger the selection of insects the better rounded their diet is.

Back
Top Bottom