my chameleon likes my dad but not me

Isabella-D

i have a veiled and she's pretty calm, she has yet to hiss or gape at me and she has only jerked at me once while i was trying to clean her cage. the problem is every time i put my hand in her cage, she runs from me, but if my dad puts his hand in her cage she comes straight to him and wants him to hold her. i don't think this is normal cause i've read alot that says they don't like to be handled, which mine doesn't, unless its my dad. i thought maybe it was a height thing, but her cage is up high so my dog can't break through her screen and eat her. i have bait (my cham) in my room, so she doesn't see the rest of my family often, but i'm homeschooled so i do most of my work in my room. she sees me almost the whole day on week days, but has only seen my dad maybe 4 times since i got her, and only for a few minutes each time. Bait even lets my dad pet her. she doesn't fall asleep or seem stressed when he does, he just stroaks her side an few times and the stops, but she doesn't puff up or anything when he does. However if i try to pet her the same way he does, she sticks out her throat, makes herself bigger, and gives me an evil look. should i be worried about this?

Sounds like a normal veiled to me. My 2 year old male tries to kill me when I go in his cage but will tolerate my fiancee if she takes care of him.

Veiled are known for their wild personality changes as they mature.

i have a veiled and she's pretty calm, she has yet to hiss or gape at me and she has only jerked at me once while i was trying to clean her cage. the problem is every time i put my hand in her cage, she runs from me, but if my dad puts his hand in her cage she comes straight to him and wants him to hold her. i don't think this is normal cause i've read alot that says they don't like to be handled, which mine doesn't, unless its my dad. i thought maybe it was a height thing, but her cage is up high so my dog can't break through her screen and eat her. i have bait (my cham) in my room, so she doesn't see the rest of my family often, but i'm homeschooled so i do most of my work in my room. she sees me almost the whole day on week days, but has only seen my dad maybe 4 times since i got her, and only for a few minutes each time. Bait even lets my dad pet her. she doesn't fall asleep or seem stressed when he does, he just stroaks her side an few times and the stops, but she doesn't puff up or anything when he does. However if i try to pet her the same way he does, she sticks out her throat, makes herself bigger, and gives me an evil look. should i be worried about this?
Don't take it personally. Both of mine prefer me to my daughter but I spend a lot of time around them.

It took 3 months for my female to finally allow me to handle her. My male when he hit 6 months started to get a grumpy problem but he’s a “man” now. If my husband goes by the cages they will hiss at him. They know they trust the walking tree with purple hair

It took 3 months for my female to finally allow me to handle her. My male when he hit 6 months started to get a grumpy problem but he’s a “man” now. If my husband goes by the cages they will hiss at him. They know they trust the walking tree with purple hair
lol i liked "they know they trust the walking tree with purple hair" XD

Do you have glasses, or painted fingernails? Something that stands out that maybe she doesn't like? My husband is the one who feeds most of the time, but my chameleons have never liked him - they just get a bug about someone and don't like them. She may come around, or she may not, but that's part of the reason we love these amazing creatures. :)

Do you have glasses, or painted fingernails? Something that stands out that maybe she doesn't like? My husband is the one who feeds most of the time, but my chameleons have never liked him - they just get a bug about someone and don't like them. She may come around, or she may not, but that's part of the reason we love these amazing creatures. :)
lol no i don't have glasses or painted fingernails, and my hair hasn't been dyed in the time i've had her. Maybe she doesn't like my makeup! XD

Honestly the weirdest things can trigger them. I wore a blue tank top the other day with like a black splatter effect across the front and my guy went into full display mode with me which he never does.

Back
Top Bottom