My chameleon keeps opening his mouth...

cornelius14

I bought a Jackson's chameleon 2 days ago and today I noticed that he opens his mouth randomly. What does this mean? I heard it could be respiratory infection but I don't know if it could be anything else. Also I have a dripping system but I haven't seen him drink any water... Please help! Thank you!

What kind of lighting are you using and what are your basking temps? Also, what are you measuring your temps with. If it is too hot in his cage he will open his mouth to try and thermoregulate or cool down. Some people never see their chameleons drink! So don't freak about that! Just watch when he poos and make sure there is a little white part attached to it. The white part is his urate and should be just that...white.

I live in Puerto Rico, the day temp is almost always from 77-85 and at night it's from 70-75. I wasn't using a basking light but I already intalled one (but it was after he started to randomly open his mouth) and the temp is 90 and it goes up to 93 so I' m turning it on and off constantly so it won't get too hot (it's a infrared heat lamp 75W). Also the humidity is 65. The poop has the white thing. I'm using a UVB 15W as a day light and I've had it since I brought him to the house. Right now he's under the drip but he's not drinking, he's all wet now...and what I'm measuring with neither is digital...I don't know the actual name for them..

I'm no expert when it comes to Jackson's, but mine does the same thing. His basking area stays just about 80 (with a couple degrees variation), and the lower reaches of his cage are in the mid 70's. He will still sit directly under the light and gape sometimes rather than move to cool down.

The reading that I have done seems to indicate that the T. jacksonii xantholophus (which is the most common subspecies in the US) are very heliophilic (sun loving). I have observed my guy very carefully for signs of respiratory infection or mouth rot, but have seen none.

Have any other jacksons keepers seen xantholophus exhibit this kind of basking behavior?

My jackson sat in the basking for like 7 mins though it was way over 85deg then he took a shower i think he got too hot , i am going to take of that basking see if i can get one that stays in 85... but the temperatures here are like in Hawaii so i think they should be ok

Help please!!!

:confused: My jacksons chemeleon does that too! I dont know what she is doing, or why she is doing it, so please help! :eek:

My Jackson's will do it sometimes as well. I am also no expert on this specific behavior, but I know my temps are the standard for them and I figure he's just hanging out. :) When I walk into the room and he notices I'm looking at him, he'll close his mouth.

When he is really stressed out (vet visits and such) he will open his mouth from being too stressed/trying to be intimidating. But it doesn't sound like that would be why yours does it!

Might be too hot, might be stressed. I would say if it's something hes constantly doing its the bulb, and you need to raise the lamp height. If he's stressed give him more privacy.

Sometimes I think they trying to communicate cause my veiled does this idk if it's every time I so happen to look over at him but when I go check he fine

As soon as I saw the title of this op, I said to myself, I bet it's a Jackson's cham ;)

Noogie does that too and he seems to be perfectly healthy.
When he is awake, sometimes he will just open his mouth a little ways for a minute then close it.

I have seen other Jacksons do it too!! :confused:

My jacksons does this too!! I started to freak out because I heard that could be R.I. Or mouth rot. But my temps are where they need to be and she has plenty of places to hide. I keep the humidity up pretty high but let it dry out a little in between sessions. When she does this as soon as I got look at her she closes her mouth and looks just fine. There is no stringy saliva in her mouth and she will only open her mouth for a couple minutes when she does. I would have to agree with them regulating their body temps by moving from place to place and open their mouths for a short period of time. This is my take on this :)

No, it's not hot, stressd or thirsty, or have a respitory infection.
I have owned 3 jax, and they all do it.
I have also seen several videos and pic of them with mouth open.
I do not know exactly what it is for sure, and would rather not speculate, but I have had my montanes lone enough to know they are not sick or needy.

Besides, that would not explain it. I have seen a lot of posts here asking this question, maybe Chris or one of the vets can chime in.

When Noogie does it, I keep a pipet of water near his cage, and squirt a little in his mouth! :rolleyes:

They never sleep this way, or even do it when they are getting ready to sleep.

So, I would not worry.
Noogie has been doing it since he was a baby, about 17 months ago.
If he had an infection, he would be dead by now! :eek:

It's good to hear other people are experiencing this too with perfectly healthy chams. :) this is defiantly a helpful thread :D

20151213_153442.jpg

So this is Peyton,I was worried why she did this. I'm relieved to read on why they do this. No mouth rot,she seems okay...eating good and drinking water...

I'm no expert when it comes to Jackson's, but mine does the same thing. His basking area stays just about 80 (with a couple degrees variation), and the lower reaches of his cage are in the mid 70's. He will still sit directly under the light and gape sometimes rather than move to cool down.

The reading that I have done seems to indicate that the T. jacksonii xantholophus (which is the most common subspecies in the US) are very heliophilic (sun loving). I have observed my guy very carefully for signs of respiratory infection or mouth rot, but have seen none.

Have any other jacksons keepers seen xantholophus exhibit this kind of basking behavior?

Yes, my juvenile Jacksons does this mouth gaping also, but he looks very healthy and has a great appetite. I've only seen him drink once, after I brought him home the day I got him (grabbed the dripper tube in his hands and drank for about 15 mins straight), but he seems well hydrated. I spray his planted enclosure well, and it is covered on 3 sides with waterproof aquarium background to help keep humidity in.

mine has been doing this since this morning i got him at petco and have had him for about 8 days so far. not sure why hes doing this i need help asap.

Attachments

• 17968402_1431304116912448_1344338440_o.jpg
    17968402_1431304116912448_1344338440_o.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 471
Back
Top Bottom