My chameleon is closing his eyes a lot during the day

I purchased my ybbb ambilobe from the breeder about two weeks ago. Ever since I first purchased him he has closed his eyes a-lot during the day. My other chams do not do this and i know that its a health concern. He has been eating hornworms, but refuses to drink any water. Ive set up a mist king that turns on four times a day for two minute intervals, so its not like he doesn't have the option to drink. Ill include all housing info below.

Your Chameleon – Ybbb ambilobe panther chameleon, male, 4.5 months old. He’s been in my care for 3 days

Handling – I don’t handle him yet, currently I’m letting him adjust to his new home, He was handled often by his breeder.

Feeding – Currently I’m only feeding Nimbus hornworms until his signs of dehydration pass, at which point I will vary his diet between horns, dubia roaches, and supers. He’s been eating a lot of hornworms, but not drinking any water. I’ve been offering hornworms in the morning and afternoon, four medium sized worms a day. Hornworms get pre-prepared chow from feeder supplies, same with silks. I feed my dubias oranges, collard greens, broccoli, carrots and silkworm chow. My super worms get broccoli, carrots, and collard greens.

Supplements - Repti Calcium by Zoo Med, three to four times a week. Rep-Cal (phosphorous free) calcium with vitamin D, once a week. Exo-terra multi vitamin, once every two weeks.

Watering - Both a little dripper by Zoo Med, and a Mist King system. Mist king comes on four times a day for two-minute intervals. I haven’t seen Nimbus drink water from leaves/ plants, which is very odd for a panther.

Fecal Description – White/tan shriveled urate, occasionally poop doesn’t have urate attached. Poop pouch is brown, looks normal.

History – The breeder was very experienced, owning panthers from many locales along with Jacksons, veild’s and other exotic reptiles. I was told that Nimbus had no prior health issues before purchasing him. The breeder told me to give him d-3 with calcium 3 times a week until he gets to be 6 months, then switch to once a week.

Cage Info:

Cage Type
- DIY soft screen 2x2x4 enclosure.

Lighting – 22-inch Repti-sun T-5 (uvb) 72 watt incandescent house bulb for basking spot.

Temperature – Basking 85ºf, but he won’t go up to bask by his bulb. Ambient 73ºf. Lowest overnight temp is probably 62ºf. I measure temps by digital gauge and traditional wall thermometers.

Humidity – I’m relying on the mist king until my room humidifier comes in from amazon next week, then I’ll be able to keep the room at a constant 65 percent. Humidity is difficult to maintain in southeast Washington, very dry.

Plants – Philodendron, and an umbrella plant. No artificial plants in Nimbus’s cage.

Placement - Enclosure is seated on an in table, two feet off the ground. Total height is 6ft 2 inches. Not near to any vents, although I do turn on a small fan in the room throughout the evening.

Location – Southeast Washington state, pacific northwest, united states

Here’s Nimbus

Attachments

• D39C3ACE-027A-4810-A4B9-4EF945C49BE5.jpeg
    D39C3ACE-027A-4810-A4B9-4EF945C49BE5.jpeg
    167.6 KB · Views: 105
  • AACC77DE-31D5-4C36-9D2A-979545B2F46B.jpeg
    AACC77DE-31D5-4C36-9D2A-979545B2F46B.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 123
  • 6EBBC64D-43FE-46F0-800A-5C78B8EFAEEB.jpeg
    6EBBC64D-43FE-46F0-800A-5C78B8EFAEEB.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 96
did you name him nimbus after harry potter?
I have no idea what is wrong with your cham, just wondering.

did you name him nimbus after harry potter?
I have no idea what is wrong with your cham, just wondering.

Naw, I wanted to give him a spiritual name and nimbus was a favorite. Maybe he’ll move really fast for a cham lol. Let me know if you can think of anything I’m pretty worried about him. He doesn’t shoot his tongue to eat his food either, he kind of just walks up to it and barely projects.

It could be that he's injured his tongue or it could be that he is heading for MBD....but I'm not a vet so I can't be sure.

I would consider taking him to a good chameleon vet.

Back
Top Bottom