My chameleon has lost his mojo

Attempted breeding 2 Ambilobe panthers over the last 2 days. Female is 1 year old, (a bit in the small side) 65 grams and very healthy. She flashed beautiful peachy pink coloration, walked slowly and held still for a long time. The male (1 year and 2 months old) looks at her then turns the other direction and walks away. Talk about rejection! I have been keeping chameleons for over 20 years but this is my first experience with breeding. I introduced them to one another outside on a potted tree so that they would be on neutral territory. I have not tried holding him up to a mirror as others have suggested. He has seen himself in the mirror and even when he does he doesn’t puff up or change extreme colors. He’s just a really laid back lizard. Any insight as to why he is not interested or advice that would help get him interested in the female would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cham-Fam!

Attachments

• 071AEEE7-C4CB-4DEA-94BD-9FA1F432162A.jpeg
    071AEEE7-C4CB-4DEA-94BD-9FA1F432162A.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 111
  • C6845BD1-7DCE-4888-A78E-6435B0FB700D.jpeg
    C6845BD1-7DCE-4888-A78E-6435B0FB700D.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 113
Sometimes they will not mate, males & females....in my experience they will mate when they are ready

Attempted breeding 2 Ambilobe panthers over the last 2 days. Female is 1 year old, (a bit in the small side) 65 grams and very healthy. She flashed beautiful peachy pink coloration, walked slowly and held still for a long time. The male (1 year and 2 months old) looks at her then turns the other direction and walks away. Talk about rejection! I have been keeping chameleons for over 20 years but this is my first experience with breeding. I introduced them to one another outside on a potted tree so that they would be on neutral territory. I have not tried holding him up to a mirror as others have suggested. He has seen himself in the mirror and even when he does he doesn’t puff up or change extreme colors. He’s just a really laid back lizard. Any insight as to why he is not interested or advice that would help get him interested in the female would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Cham-Fam!
Aww...she looks so disappointed.

If he doesnt think its breeding season, he just sees her as competition for bugs. Wonder if a big change to lighting sched and humidity would help signal "spring"?

Back
Top Bottom