My chameleon has both eyes shut and wont open them!!!

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

we have a female about 5 months old, we always play with her. We feed crickets and worms we dust them with calicum as well. we mist twice a day

we have aglass with top ventalation, we keep lighting and uva on them until night time, we use fake plants & the cage is located near the window

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?
This is the 'Ask for Help' form

i dont really know much about what i have the pet store gave me everything i should need shes been fine for these past 3 month, it just happened recently. we changed nothing of her cage or food or anything

i dont really know much about what i have the pet store gave me everything i should need shes been fine for these past 3 month, it just happened recently. we changed nothing of her cage or food or anything

what kind of lighting are you using. Be specific. How are you hydrating your chameleon? What supplements are you using? What are your cage temps, humidiity readings? Copy and paste the how to ask for help form and fill in the answers.

Last edited:
you should be dusting your feeders with calcium without d3 and using a calcium with d3 a couple of times a month along with a multivitamin. you really need to know what kind of lighting you are using and what your temps are. That is critical to the care of your chameleon. You MUST have a uvb light and a basking light. Do you see your chameleon drink? If the pet store sold you all the lights, it is a good possibility that they sold you the incorrect lighting. It happens all the time. do you ever take your cham out for natural sunlight.? I see you live in Florida

Do you have a place for her to dig to show you when she needs to lay eggs?
It could be that she is carrying eggs and becoming eggbound. It could be that she is suffering from MBD if you have been supplementing her incorrectly and not using a proper UVB light. If the basking temperature is not right, she might have difficulty digesting her food. Its hard to be sure. If you are using the wrong UVB light it could be causing the eye problems.

Not enough information to be sure.

Can you post a picture of her please?

My Cham wont open his eyes either???

Hi there my Chameleon George wont open his eyes either???
It all started 3 days ago when i noticed he was squinting with one one like he had something in it, the next day both eyes where closed most of the day and yesterday the same. I took him to the vets today and he thinks he might have some skin from his last shed (which was last friday) irritating his eyes? He's told me to wash them with water and a cotton bud 3 times a day? I did this tonight but it just seems to have upset him even more, to the point where he wonders round his viv with his eyes closed tightly walking off branches/plants? So I've now put him in his travel faunaium in his viv to try and stop him doing more damage to him self? Don't know what else to do, I've completed the info below in hope of some help, any would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

Cham info:

Male Yemens about 5 to 6 months old at a guess I've only had him for 3 weeks. I handle him about 3 times a week for about 15 min a time he's very child out.
I feed him twice a day ones in the morning when his lights are on and ones when I come home from work if he's eaten everything else. He has 3-5 medium locusts every day then 2-3 waxworms and or butterworms about 3 - 4 times a week. locusts are feed on mixed salad worms are feed on bee pollen granules all bugs are dusted in calcium 5 days a week nutrobal 2 days a week. I also use exo terra water conditioner with calcium, he has a dripper on all day with a bowl under which I empty twice a day he's also misted twice to three times a day. Have only seen him drink once on the day I first brought him home, but his fecal in dark brown/black with white.
I brought him from the shop where I work and he'd been there for about 3 weeks eating well and being sprayed twice daily.

Cage Info:

He lives in a exo terra glass terrarium 45 W x 45 D x 60 H, lighting in a exo terra duo canopy with two 35w halogen and two 15w UVB 0.5 tubes, he also has a exo terra glow dome light fitting with a green 40w spot. Lights go on at 7am UVB of at 8PM then green off at 10PM. Heat mat behind backing to one side on all the time. Temp day reading 90 at hot end 82 cool end down to 75 at night, george seems to like it best under green spot? Humid is 75 t0 80 all reading are from dial thermometer and hydrometer but I do have digital ones with probs on order.
Terrarium is covered in plastic plants with different leaf sizes and textures, vines and real wood branches. His viv ins in a quite area in living room on the floor at the moment.

Please help as I love him to bit and worried I'm going to lose him... :(

George's home

attached a photo of George's terrarium layout.

Attachments

• DSC00949.jpg
    DSC00949.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 165
Hi there my Chameleon George wont open his eyes either???
It all started 3 days ago when i noticed he was squinting with one one like he had something in it, the next day both eyes where closed most of the day and yesterday the same. I took him to the vets today and he thinks he might have some skin from his last shed (which was last friday) irritating his eyes?im going to put a bet it is his lights. He's told me to wash them with water and a cotton bud 3 times a day?not a vet but i would not do this....manual spray him. I did this tonight but it just seems to have upset him even more, to the point where he wonders round his viv with his eyes closed tightly walking off branches/plants? So I've now put him in his travel faunaium in his viv to try and stop him doing more damage to him self? Don't know what else to do, I've completed the info below in hope of some help, any would be much appreciated. Many thanks.change your lights!!!!

Cham info:

Male Yemens about 5 to 6 months old at a guess I've only had him for 3 weeks. I handle him about 3 times a week for about 15 min a time he's very child out.Handle Less!!
I feed him twice a day ones in the morning when his lights are on and ones when I come home from work if he's eaten everything else. He has 3-5 medium locusts every day then 2-3 waxworms and or butterworms about 3 - 4 times a week. locusts are feed on mixed salad worms are feed on bee pollen granules all bugs are dusted in calcium 5 days a week nutrobal 2 days a week.dusting needs to change to calcium w/o d3 every feeding, calcium w/d3 twice a month, herptivite twice a month I also use exo terra water conditioner with calciumno need..i would discontinue this, he has a dripper on all day with a bowl under which I empty twice a day he's also misted twice to three times a day. Great!Have only seen him drink once on the day I first brought him home, but his fecal in dark brown/black with white.normal
I brought him from the shop where I work and he'd been there for about 3 weeks eating well and being sprayed twice daily.

Cage Info:

He lives in a exo terra glass terrarium 45 W x 45 D x 60 Hnever have seen this size...might want to look at getting a screen enclosure 24x24x48' ' , lighting in a exo terra duo canopy with two 35w halogen and two 15w UVB 0.5 tubes, he also has a exo terra glow dome light fitting with a green 40w spotHOLY LIGHTS BATMAN! i would love to see the pics of your basking and ambient temps. it has to be +100* in that GLASS cage. how are you measuring the temps and methods?. Lights go on at 7am UVB of at 8PM then green off at 10PM.only 12 hours of light Heat mat behind backing to one side on all the time.take this off and turn it off Temp day reading 90 at hot end 82 cool end down to 75 at nightwould love to see this in RL, george seems to like it best under green spot? Humid is 75 t0 80 all reading are from dial thermometer and hydrometer but I do have digital ones with probs on order.
Terrarium is covered in plastic plants with different leaf sizes and textures, vines and real wood branches. His viv ins in a quite area in living room on the floor at the moment.Needs to go as high up in the room as possible.

Please help as I love him to bit and worried I'm going to lose him... :(

things need to be changed in your set up. please start you own thread. beautiful set up but i know your temps have to be much higher than stated.

Agreed with ataraxia. I think all of your lighting is causing your chams eye problems! It is too hot in his cage and he has no where to cool off until night time.

Hi! Indeed it's better to start your own thread, but I just want to give a quick comment on the enclosure. The Exo Terra 45x45x60 must be the measurement in centimeters, right? Exo Terra's largest glass enclosure in inches is 36x18x36. I'm sorry to say but your enclosure is way to small for your veiled chameleon. I know because I own one of those and I house my poison dart frogs in it, and I own a 7 month old veiled.

Please do something about your lighting and the enclosure size! :(
The best thing to do for now seems to shut of the halogen, because they are very hot, change the tube lights into Zoomed Reptisun 5.0.. Then he has the proper UVB lighting and a heat source from the glow dome light, make sure he cannot burn his casque! Because I know this can happen with the halogens. Mostly they are to close to the mesh and the mesh gets very hot!

Even better would be to keep him in the screen one and place the dual light canopy on top of it. Still shut of the halogen and let him warm up under de glow dome. Then make sure he has a branch to sit relatively close under the lighting.

Good luck!

now back to Mikeandalexa. please fill out the form entirely and take the recommendations seriously. There is alot of very knowlegable and experienced keepers on here who want nothing more than to help others but they need to know all the info to help. Pet stores more often than not don't really know how to properly care for chameleons and give the wrong info to customers as a result. You said that everything has been good for the last three months but it can take that long or longer for problems to develop and chams are very good at hiding heath problems.

we have a female about 5 months old, we always play with her. We feed crickets and worms we dust them with calicum as well. we mist twice a day

we have aglass with top ventalation, we keep lighting and uva on them until night time, we use fake plants & the cage is located near the window

Mikeandalexa, you should go get the box that your light came in and either post a picture of it or write down everything the box says. There are many different lights sold for reptiles but not all do everything that needs to be done.

A glass enclosure that only has top ventilation requires careful placement of the lights. The heat needs to be off to one side to allow cool air to be pulled in from the other side. If the enclosure also has ventilation near the bottom (often on one side) then you don't need to worry so much about that.

***edited to add***

Oh, and to post pictures on this board: Use the POST REPLY button, not the Quick Reply box. POST REPLY will open a reply box with many more tools in the toolbar. Click the "paperclip" and you will be able to upload pictures from your computer. They will show up as thumbnails in your post.

You probably should not be playing with her. Chameleons, as a rule, do not thrive when handled often.

You should try to find out the temperatures in your enclosure (under the lights, middle of the enclosure and bottom if possible).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom