My chameleon drinks LOADS but wont eat!

She should have total privacy until she's finished laying. You can shield her with paper somehow, and just have a pin hole to spy on her so you know when she's done. :)

I think these eggs will be infertile. It seems you mated them after the eggs started developing. :)

Last edited:
oh....is there no hope for fertile eggs? Someone told me to dig her a starter hole...I did this yesterday and just caught her filling it in! is this normal?

I hate to sound harsh but before you worry about breeding you need to do a lot of research! Mating chams at those ages will not be healthy. If fertile eggs are produced, I would not expect healthy babies. I know you want to breed, but unless you learn what you are doing, you will never be a good breeder. If you had done your research, here are a few things you would know, you don't breed a male at 4 months, it is too late to breed when she is carrying eggs, what you need to do for her to successfully lay.

Last but not least your gut loading is awful, and so is your cage. Your cham trys to drink off the sides because she has no real plants to hold water.

Please take time and learn about your chameleons and their care.

no, there is only 1 plant because she is in her laying tank, I gut load crickets on veg and then coat them in calcium, and that was a typo - he is 7 months and she is 9 months. She has been digging a bit, and I have researched a lot. but thanks for the advice, i know what im doing :)

I would wait till the female is at least 1 yr old before breeding.

Also after a quick look at your care info I would be looking for a larger cage afew live plants and a better gutloading routine. If you want something simple look into Repashy bug burger.
Also a few other typs of feeders useually perks up feeding.
JMO

The tank in the pictures was her laying tank but I'm upgrading it to a big black dustbin, taller by far! Her original tank is much bigger. Also, what food do you recommend?

As for feeders I like to keep dubia, crickets, silk, horn, butter, super, wax and meal, worms around the house.
The feeder food is Bug Burger. It is an water and food in one that you make like jello and feed to the bugs. Its made by repashy superfoods

I will post a picture on Saturday of my second laying bin if she doesn't lay - I have been told it must be 12" deap and I think I need a deaper box. :)

it was a few weeks back, I dodn't really know she had eggs. but now its about 14 days later and I have seen bumps on her side, and she stopped eating, and she digggs the bottom of her cage. I think it was successful, but some say it may have been a little too late, as the eggs may have already started to form...is there any chance they will be fertile?

Im a bit curious...I just mated the male with the female but I dont know if he fertilised her....how will I know?

NEVER breed a female that is laying.

no, there is only 1 plant because she is in her laying tank, I gut load crickets on veg and then coat them in calcium, and that was a typo - he is 7 months and she is 9 months. She has been digging a bit, and I have researched a lot. but thanks for the advice, i know what im doing :)

Stop being a know it all teenager and listen to the advice these people are telling you. So far you have not displayed one thing that shows you have done any research.

I hope you stop for a second and truly read the links provided on page 2 and 3. Both will explain it in very good detail. Heck one is even a video.

Heres a few more links. When reading it follow it step by step and change your current set up. You have come for help after all. Atleast take the advice and apply it for your animals well being.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/435-common-mistakes-made-females.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/dez/155-chameleon-care-101-panthers-veileds.html

Last edited:
Erin, I understand some of this might seem a little bit harsh. We know you want the best for your girl. And you might actually be only 12 (or even 8!:D) years old.
You are making it a bit difficult and frustrating because you appear to be ignoring the good advice you have already been given. You should really leave your cham alone as much as possible to lay the eggs.
Taking her to the window and giving her orange will not help her to feel like she can dig and lay eggs in a hidden spot. Her instinct is to hide the eggs from everyone. I also think you need to at least improve your gutloading and keep your chameleons alive for a few years before you start trying to breed them. Imagine what the situation would be if you had sick babies!

Back
Top Bottom