My chameleon drinks LOADS but wont eat!

should I set up a separate tank with a thick layer of sand at the bottom and see if she wants to lay? I have some artificial grass at the bottom and she always digs it and pulls the edges up...is she searching for a laying place? I have a jug full of sand in there but after watching the video I don't think it is big enough...

should I set up a separate tank with a thick layer of sand at the bottom and see if she wants to lay? I have some artificial grass at the bottom and she always digs it and pulls the edges up...is she searching for a laying place? I have a jug full of sand in there but after watching the video I don't think it is big enough...

no you need it to be about a foot deep and foot wide so if you don't have that size then it will not be enough. I would say if she is digging that up then yes she is looking . Did she just start this behavior or has she always done it. You cannot watch her trying to lay or she will abandon laying. It probably tells you that in the video. I have watched it but not recently.

so when do you think she will lay? she only started digging recently, she is in a seperate tank with loads of sand and a rock and leaves...shes wandering around...I put her in there just now to see if she wants to lay, must I cover it for any chance of laying? WHEN WILL SHE LAY!?!?!?!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

She will lay on her own time, all you can do is make sure you've supplied her with everything she needs to feel comfortable enough to lay. Make sure the soil/sand is moist enough for her to tunnel into and make sure that she still has sufficient heat. Also, can you please post a picture of your laying bin setup?

Here is a video that may help you (not sure if it has been posted yet or not!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usyXP_u4Zc

Ps. Dont be nervous...a female laying is a neat experience!

Last edited:
these are pictures of her digging in her separate laying tank (sorry they are sideways!)

Attachments

• 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 144
you need to change your setup immediatly! she needs much much more sand in an opaque container, such as a garbage bin or large flower pot. i can see she is already trying to dig...so you must supply the correct type of laying bin very soon. make sure the sand is soaked enough for her to dig a long tunnel. She will completely bury herself and lay. watch the video if you need a clearer description!

please get her the proper place to lay and do not disturb her. She won't lay if she sees you. If you need to cover up the bin with something. If she is ready to lay and does not have the right place she will become eggbound and can die.

okay she is in a bin with mesh over the top and the canopy. will this do?there is About 30cm height by 20cm of sand. she looks happy in there...but she isnt digging because it is smaller in width that the previous one....should i just give her time? I have a much bigger tub but will have to wait till next week for more sand...

yes, I have seen them on here dig into the night and then sleep in the hole!!!!She also may start and then stop altogether. Give her time! This is why I don't want to own any females!!!!:rolleyes:

she didnt like the bin so I got a much bigger one and will try her in it tomorrow with my new sand. at what age can she meet the male? he is 4 months and she is 8 months but I want to breed them asap really...I will update on her digging when she goes in the new box tomorrow.

she didnt like the bin so I got a much bigger one and will try her in it tomorrow with my new sand. at what age can she meet the male? he is 4 months and she is 8 months but I want to breed them asap really...I will update on her digging when she goes in the new box tomorrow.

It is not recommended to breed until the female is a year old at least. I can't remember the age for males.

Okay I will wait until she is a year, which is in may. Not long. What substrate should I use on eggs in an incubator? Also, how often will she lay? Thanks!

..... temp is around 30 degrees Celsius in hotter spot, 25 in cooler spot.

BTW I think she's being kept too hot.

Male Veiled/Chamaeleo: basking spot up to 96.5F/36C
Non breeding females and Juveniles: hottest spot should be kept at a lower temp, closer to 80F/26F
day mid-cage / ambient range 70-80F/21 -26C
night to a low of 60F/15.5C (Juveniles only down to 68F)

Im a bit curious...I just mated the male with the female but I dont know if he fertilised her....how will I know?

Im a bit curious...I just mated the male with the female but I dont know if he fertilised her....how will I know?

you'll know if the eggs develop or if they shrivel and mold after being laid.
I though you were going to wait until she was at least a year old and of sufficient size?

please can someone give me advice? she digs a big then walks away...

is the medium correct? are you leaving her alone (did she notice you looking at her)?

BTW - You should start a new thread if you have a significantly new question - but link back to any relevant old thread

Last edited:
oh thanks, I'm new to this website. I left the tank in my living room because I was upstairs...I think she noticed me when I went in...she stopped digging after that. should I leave her in my room and not go in for 2 hours? how long shou;d she be left?

Back
Top Bottom