My Chameleon died

Lolo

Today I lost my female veiled chameleon that I’ve had for almost a year. While I had her I noticed she wasn’t getting very big and grew a large white bump on her head. I took her to the vet where they popped it and gave me shots to give her (a few months back). After the visit she was doing better and started to grow more. Well in the last few days she has barley come out of her cage, Regrew another large white bump, hasn’t tried to get water or eat her food. This morning she was on her basking branch, started opening her mouth and went limp. I tried holding her up and started misting in her cage (Thinking she was dehydrated) and she died in my hands. I don’t know why she died and I’m wondering if you guys have ever had this problem. I have an exoterra cage with uvb and proper heat lamps, I have the misking system set up in her cage and always have food available for her. I’m not sure what wen wrong.

I am so sorry for your loss. These little guys means so much to us and it’s difficult when they leave us :(

As far as asking what went wrong the best way is to fill this out so others can leave feedback.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
• Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
• Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem
- The current problem you are concerned about.

Thank you so much. She was a female veiled chameleon. I got her around February this year from petsmart. I believe she was 6-8 weeks old at that point but they weren’t sure. I did not handle her very often and I would feed her about 50 crickets every couple days that were covered in calcium powder. I alternated between calcium D3 and calcium without D3 by Zoomed. I had a mistking system set up in her cage that would go off about 5-6times a day for 3 minute increments. Her poop was weird it was almost runny and today it was yellow. She wasn’t coming out to eat or drink the last few days and that’s when I started thinking something was wrong. I have a long uvb bulb to make sure she was getting that properly. As far as health she kept getting white bumps on her head, the vet described it as a reptile pimple but the vet also noticed small bumps along her side and was concerned about that but couldn’t figure out what they were.

I am so sorry for your loss. These little guys means so much to us and it’s difficult when they leave us :(

As far as asking what went wrong the best way is to fill this out so others can leave feedback.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
• Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
• Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
• Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
• Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem
- The current problem you are concerned about.

Thank you so much. She was a female veiled chameleon. I got her around February this year from petsmart. I believe she was 6-8 weeks old at that point but they weren’t sure. I did not handle her very often and I would feed her about 50 crickets every couple days that were covered in calcium powder. I alternated between calcium D3 and calcium without D3 by Zoomed. I had a mistking system set up in her cage that would go off about 5-6times a day for 3 minute increments. Her poop was weird it was almost runny and today it was yellow. She wasn’t coming out to eat or drink the last few days and that’s when I started thinking something was wrong. I have a long uvb bulb to make sure she was getting that properly. As far as health she kept getting white bumps on her head, the vet described it as a reptile pimple but the vet also noticed small bumps along her side and was concerned about that but couldn’t figure out what they were.
The form is the best way for us to know what went wrong. Sorry for your loss.:(
Thank you so much ?

If the bump regret and wasn't seen again by vet that could have been what killed her. I hard to be sure.

So sorry for your loss.

The small bumps along her side could've been broken ribs. My female veiled suffered a nasty fall from high up and broke 8 ribs. We put her on extra calcium and she is recovering but the bumps on her side are still there.

Today I lost my female veiled chameleon that I’ve had for almost a year. While I had her I noticed she wasn’t getting very big and grew a large white bump on her head. I took her to the vet where they popped it and gave me shots to give her (a few months back). After the visit she was doing better and started to grow more. Well in the last few days she has barley come out of her cage, Regrew another large white bump, hasn’t tried to get water or eat her food. This morning she was on her basking branch, started opening her mouth and went limp. I tried holding her up and started misting in her cage (Thinking she was dehydrated) and she died in my hands. I don’t know why she died and I’m wondering if you guys have ever had this problem. I have an exoterra cage with uvb and proper heat lamps, I have the misking system set up in her cage and always have food available for her. I’m not sure what wen wrong.
Hi there. I am sorry for your loss.

I wanted to add a few things here in case you should decide to get another one. I am concerned with what the bump actually was but also your description of the fecal and the fact that she did not seem to grow. Concerned here about the potential for parasites...

So should you get another cham. I highly recommend stripping that cage down. Wash everything you can and rinse really really well. I would even toss plants and buy new.

Healthy babies should not have any bumps or discoloration to them. They should be alert especially during daylight hours.

Should you decide to get another one. I really love this husbandry program. It will give you accurate and precise info https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Again, so sorry for your loss. Beman's advice is great.

I know you answered a good amount of this, but if you do get another one we'd love to help prepare the best set up for the little tree dragon. Please copy and paste this form and answer every single line and detail. Try to copy and paste and fill out each piece of info inline to the questions to make sure nothing is missed. Everything is important with the rainforest creatures.

Pics of the enclosure and lights will also help significantly to avoid any miscommunication. I wish you the best!

Chameleon Info

Cage Info

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Ours died this morning also I was told it was because we didn’t change his white uv bulb
Does anyone know about that

Ours died this morning also I was told it was because we didn’t change his white uv bulb
If you were using a compact screw in UVB bulb then yes this can lead to MBD and health issues resulting in death. Sorry for your loss.

If you were using a compact screw in UVB bulb then yes this can lead to MBD and health issues resulting in death. Sorry for your loss.
Thanks for your answer we have the standard cage we keep it high up away from the window and were using the double lamp with the white uv bulb and changing from blue to red every night But we got him in August and never changed the white bulb someone told me that i should have changed it every three months Petco never told me that
The therm doesn’t really work anymore i think

Sorry you lost your cham. Yes, uvb loses effectiveness over time. ReptiSun needs to be changed every 6 months and Arcadia, every year. If you have a solarmeter you can better determine when they need to be changed.

Thanks for your answer we have the standard cage we keep it high up away from the window and were using the double lamp with the white uv bulb and changing from blue to red every night But we got him in August and never changed the white bulb someone told me that i should have changed it every three months Petco never told me that
The therm doesn’t really work anymore i think
Also, red and blue bulbs aren’t good for chams. White light basking bulbs and T5 High Output linear fixtures and UVB bulbs, along with any plant lights, are what you use during the day, with no lights or heat on at night. If you want to start your own thread (since this one is old), we can answer any questions you may have and/or go over your husbandry more! Have you ever read through The Chameleon Academy before?

So sorry for your loss.

There should be no lights at night. Unless the temperatures drop into the 50'sF there is no need for heat at night either.

Colored basking lights are not recommended....white light is.

The UVB light needs to be changed from time to time...how often depends on the brand. The UVB light should not be the curly of compact shirt light but should be the long linear tube Reptisun a 5.0 or Arcadia.

If you answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread near the top of the health forum we can see if there are any other issues. It will help you for your next chameleon, if you get one.

Hi do you know how to start a new thread and fill out some form so i can get the real info and prepare for a new chameleon This time i want to get everything right
Someone told me to fill out some info form

Back
Top Bottom