my chameleon constantly falls

thanks for the sympathy. hope all will be OK. I will keep you posted.if you think of something that will help would be glad to share it white me.

he def looks like he need a vet visit, a very nice looking male and i feel sorry for him. please get him to the vet.

I went to the vet. Hi took him a scener.Nothing broken.Still dont know what is the problem in shure.But wi will give him antibiotic and see what will hapend.

My guess is a combination of scurrvy(lack of vitamins) and lack of proper UV. UV doesnt just convert calcium but it also stimulates thier immune system be active. If this was my animal this is what I would do, but remeber I have only seen a 20 second long video and Im on the other side of the planet so you must decide for yourself what to do.
Get a new UV bulb, I use a metal halide from reptileuv and it really is wonderful as it makes UV and heat so it draws the reptile directly to it. And I have noticed improvement in his eye health since useing one on my healthy chameleon. Then I would give him a drop of vitamin water, something with some electrolites in it. Lack of electrolites will cause problems with coordination and hamper nervous system function and eventually immune system function. Very small amount, like 1 drop or 1 milli-liter. If he is drinking on his own just mix a very little bit into his water. Again I am talking parts per million. Did your vet do any blood work?

Also I would get rid of what looks to be a plastic plant in his cage. Honestly I would get him a much bigger cage, with live plants. I dont mean to sound like I am placing judgement or anything like that against you, I know sometimes reading my writings can sound like I am a dick, I kind of am, but I am not making attacks against you. He is a wonderful looking chameleon and I suspect that his condition is very reversable. But you might have to change your caretaking habits a little. Hope he gets better for both of your sake's as I sure you dont want your friend to die. Keep us updated, and make sure your veternarian is well versed in reptiles. If you dont have a vet that deals specially with reptiles another option would be to find one that deals with birds as birds and reptiles have alot of similarities.

Thank you for your advice, will order a UV lamp and the vitamins with electrolytes are already in order.The cage is small at the moment because I do not want to fall off the high and still get hurt, and plastic plants are because I do not want to be caught on something poisonous.

I agree I dont think you should put him in a tall cage until his coordination returns. Is he still able to poop normally? Sometimes with a fall if they injure themselves they cant expel their waste. If he hasnt pooped in a long time you may need to help him expel his poop and urates. My vet showed me how to palpate an ambanja i had that had paralysis in his hind legs and tail. After 6 months I eventually had to put my guy down. It got down to his quality of life. I sure hope your male veiled can pull thru this.

Scurvy???? That's a vitamin C deficiency. Why do you think its scurvy??

BTW...UV does not convert calcium....UVB helps the chameleon to produce D3 which in turn allows the body to use the calcium.

I get him a new UV lamp.I give him a reptaid for a week now.The only thing that i have notes is that he is stronger than before, but i dont know that is good because he grab his front lеgs stronger an hi falls more often. i dont know what more i can do for him.his poop is normal like before.he eat, he drink, hi change his skin normaly.Me and my vet we dont know what to do any more.we will wait to see if the UV or reptaid will helps.

You think my chameleon may have brain damage from falls.I spoke with a human doctor who told me that the animal is showing signs of stroke.Do u think it is possible.because I just can not find anything else as a symptom. He eat, he drings, he change his skin.On the scener not found evidence of rickets or fracture.at first glance everything is ОК.but he still grabs his leg and fall.can not coordinate their movements.:confused:

You need to get the nutrients back in balance and then keep them there.
You said you used Reptocal ...it has prEformed vitamin A in it. Do you dust with it every time you feed the chameleon?

When balancing the nutrients you need to look at the supplements, what you feed to the chameleon, what you feed to the insects...and the UVB and appropriate temperatures too.

Here's what I do to maintain a balance of nutrients and why I do it....
I use a long linear fluorescent Repti-sun UVB tube light on the cages in a double fluorescent fixture. The other bulb in the fixture is a regular household fluorescent tube. If its a male veiled I also use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that will put the basking area in the mid to high 80's. I use the Repti-sun tube because it is one that has had no bad reports against it. There should be no glass or plastic between the chameleon and the UVB light. The exposure to the UVB allows the chameleon to produce vitamin D3 which allows him to use the calcium in his system. Appropriate cage temperatures also play a part indirectly...heat is needed for proper digestion and thus nutrient absorption.

I dust the insects before feeding them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phosphorus-free calcium powder to help make up for the usually poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus found in many of the feeder insects. (I use Rep-cal).

I dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder (Rep-cal with D3) to ensure that the chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system so I leave the chameleon to produce the rest of the D3 it needs from its exposure to the UVB light. The UVB from the light shouldn't cause any overdose as long as the chameleon can move in and out of the UVB.

I dust twice a month with a vitamin powder that has a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A since beta carotene won't build up in the system. There is controversy though about whether chameleons can convert the beta carotene...so some people give a little prEformed vitamin A once in a while....but it leaves the control in the owner's hands this way. Excess prEformed vitamin A may prevent the D3 from doing its job and lead to MBD.

I also gutload/feed my insects a nutritious diet. I give crickets, locusts, roaches, superworms a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.).

As for the hypervitaminosis...if your chameleon has been getting too much of the vitamins that build up in the system...I suppose all you can do is not use them for a while. Did the vet not say what to do??

Here are some sites with good information that might help....
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

vet said the same thing, just do not give him any vitamins and waved the UV lampata.From two weeks i dont give him nothing and I feel that he is geting worse .So i decided to ask the forum if anyone has faced such a problem does not know whether other decision.Тhank u for comprehensive information.I found errors that I am allowed under the provision of vitaminit.every day I gave him phosphorus and vitamin d3 whit the insects and i guess that overdose him.Well i give him nothing with vitamins and i hope he get better.

Back
Top Bottom